Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

Nominations Wanted for Weekly Poll

Chickenman

Yeah, Prin, we're talking about most useless sport.

Mara

I was watching it a little bit this morning.. and it seems to be that whitewater is a bit pointless as a sport.

Chickenman

Whitewater's a sport? Awesome.

Ayingel

I was watching it a little bit this morning.. and it seems to be that whitewater is a bit pointless as a sport.

are you kidding? have you seen the arms on those women?

Mara

are you kidding? have you seen the arms on those women?

Just because there is strength involved, doesn't make it a sport.

Radioactive Isotope

from the dictionary:

sport

?noun

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.

3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

from the above definition, white water is so a sport since it is an "athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess," as is dancing or (i hate to say it) cheerleading.

Chickenman

And since when do dictionaries get to decide what words mean?

Ayingel

hey, as a former cheerleader, it is so a sport even if you wouldn't want to think so. the girls that are base need to be able to throw someone who is at least 110lbs in the air repeatedly and then catch them. as much as cheerleaders are like wanna be gymnasts, there's just as much training involved.

Chickenman

Which is why the girl they throw needs to starve herself more than the rest of the squad.

:p

Tsl

I think things with an objective winner are okay. Like anything involving a race or highest points, farthest throw, etc. As fun as gymnastics are to watch, they are really very subjective. And yes, I realize they get points for difficulty and how few mistakes, but these are still subjective measurements. The same goes for cheerleading (which is just a distilled blend of gymnastics and dancing) and figure skating.

That said, badmitten totally deserves a spot. Have you watched the Olympic level athletes play? It's actually pretty cool to watch. Pros playing ping pong is damn fun to watch too.

Also beach volleyball is different from indoor how? I don't understand why they qualify as two separate sports. But it's still a sport with an objective winner.

Chickenman

I did look up the 2004 badmintion finals. Sick stuff, though not as much diving as in my gym class. :p

Link

Big time disagree about equestrian. I know firsthand how much work is involved on the riders' part. Contrary to popular belief, you work just as hard as that horse does.

Edited by Link

Chickenman

So why not just do the running themselves? :p

Drake

Those are called hurdles. :p

Andy

And since when do dictionaries get to decide what words mean?

They don't. It's how the words are commonly used that dictates what the dictionary definitions will be. :p

TheUnknown

Also beach volleyball is different from indoor how? I don't understand why they qualify as two separate sports. But it's still a sport with an objective winner.

Indoor volleyball is six on six, I think while beach volleyball is two on two. There are no substitutions in beach volleyball, and you have to play outside in the heat and sun.