Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Coruscant Nights Series

Andy

He was going to try kill Vader? lmao, what a n00b

Radioactive Isotope

i'm real tempted to add a spoiler warning to the title about now. :p

Mara

You should realize we can't discuss things here without using spoilers. :p

Well, I finally finished it. And, well.... I thought the first one was better.

There were just too many coincidences in this one for me to take some of it seriously. And, yes, I realize that some storylines need to intercept eventually for there to be interest and drama, but in this novel, it seemed EVERYONE was connected to EVERYONE ELSE. I mean, seriously. There's, like, ten characters, out of gazillions on Coruscant and they all happen to be connected in some way? Give me a break.

Also what happened to Nick? If I remember right, he survived at the end of the first, right? Am I forgetting something? Did he go home to Haruun Kal? It just seems lame to introduce his character, one that I found interesting (even though he make Jax feel kind of weak in the first novel) and then he just disappears for the next one.

And, like, suddenly Jax has no problems with his Force connection? Why bring it up in the first novel, then? Dramatic irony? Blah.

However, I wasn't a big fan of the Typho/Padme storyline. All seemed very gratuitous to me. Like, the author needed to add in more random characters.

And how he just "happened" to run into Aurra Sing and just "happened" to be looking for the same man/Jedi she was.

The murdered artist one was a little better. Not great, not wholly interesting, but, hey, the characters had to have something to while waiting for Vader to find them, right?

Seriously... I found myself rolling my eyes sometimes while reading this and how ridiculous things were sounding.

Hopefully the next one is better.

And, maybe it was just me, but I found the timeline of events a bit confusing. I mean, when exactly does this novel take place? I assumed it was just a year or so after Order 66/Episode III. But then some of the characters references events like the Clone Wars and the Trade Fed. embargo as being 15-20 years ago. Just seems like too much time to me, but maybe my math is wrong.

Drake

It's probably a couple years after RotS. The Trade Fed invasion of Naboo was, what, 10 years before AotC then another 2-3 until RotS? 15-20 years is sensible.

I kind of agree about the connections between everyone. However, most books you read somehow have everyone connected to everyone else in one way or another. Maybe this one was just more obvious about it. If they weren't connected, what use would they be to the main plot?

Also, I don't think we've seen the last of Nick. They made mention that he was at a hospital friendly to Whiplash or something. I'm thinking that he's just sitting this book out while he recovers and will, hopefully, make a return in the third. I also don't think we've seen the last of Jax losing his connection to the Force. Perhaps it had to do with self-doubt. I dunno.

Radioactive Isotope

finally got a copy from the library. now i have to find time to read it, lol.

Mara

It's probably a couple years after RotS. The Trade Fed invasion of Naboo was, what, 10 years before AotC then another 2-3 until RotS? 15-20 years is sensible.

I kind of agree about the connections between everyone. However, most books you read somehow have everyone connected to everyone else in one way or another. Maybe this one was just more obvious about it. If they weren't connected, what use would they be to the main plot?

Also, I don't think we've seen the last of Nick. They made mention that he was at a hospital friendly to Whiplash or something. I'm thinking that he's just sitting this book out while he recovers and will, hopefully, make a return in the third. I also don't think we've seen the last of Jax losing his connection to the Force. Perhaps it had to do with self-doubt. I dunno.

I dunno.. maybe I was calculating wrong on my timeline. Some of the numbers didn't seem to mesh.

Yeah, I know about the connections thing, and yeah, some is needed for plot to really get going. But it seemed everyone was connected to everyone else. And it just got ridiculous. I think it would have still worked if there were a couple less.

Maybe... but it seems kind of weird to just ignore Nick and Jax's problems for an entire novel.

Drake

Just picked up the third book, Patterns of Force, and I'm torn between finishing Triple Zero or reading this one first.

No Nick Rostu in the dramatis personae so...we'll see what happens.

Bad furday

I need to buy 1 and 3 of this... absolutely loved 2 :D

Mara

Must look at library site again.

Last week, couldn't find it.

Drake

Finished the third book. I liked it and the series overall. It was different from other Star Wars books. There are some aspects that I thought could have been better but I was pleased with it at the end.

Last of the trilogy but I suspect there will be more books featuring those characters in the future. Jax, I-5, Den, and Laranth survive. I knew that Rhinann would die, somehow getting back at Vader and I suspected Dejah's betrayal.

I liked the new character, Kaj. His use of the Force was impressive, albeit fairly well focused for someone with no prior Jedi training. Hopefully they'll get back to him again, in another book, instead of leaving him in a plot hole like Nick on some planet recovering.

So Vader took the bota.... I was kind of hoping Jax or Laranth would have taken it. Even Rhinann. I liked the outcome, though. Vader couldn't control the power flowing through him and that allowed Rhinann to tackle him through a window.

Mara

I am starting it tonight. :D

Mara

Finished the third book. I liked it and the series overall. It was different from other Star Wars books. There are some aspects that I thought could have been better but I was pleased with it at the end.

Last of the trilogy but I suspect there will be more books featuring those characters in the future. Jax, I-5, Den, and Laranth survive. I knew that Rhinann would die, somehow getting back at Vader and I suspected Dejah's betrayal.

I liked the new character, Kaj. His use of the Force was impressive, albeit fairly well focused for someone with no prior Jedi training. Hopefully they'll get back to him again, in another book, instead of leaving him in a plot hole like Nick on some planet recovering.

So Vader took the bota.... I was kind of hoping Jax or Laranth would have taken it. Even Rhinann. I liked the outcome, though. Vader couldn't control the power flowing through him and that allowed Rhinann to tackle him through a window.

Actually, I was glad Jax and Laranth DIDN'T take it. It would have been the wrong move, I think. Especially for Jax.

And, yes, I wasn't surprised about Dejah. To be honest, she was my least favorite character in the whole trilogy.

Kaj also annoyed me, but I'm not sure why, exactly.

I also cheered when I saw that Den had come back. :) I knew he couldn't stay away from I-Five.

Definitely not the best novel of the three, but it was better than the second one. Got back to some of the original action.

I was still sad that Nick didn't come back.

But perhaps in another book. Like you said, I don't think we're done with these characters.

I for one would like to seem more of Jax and Laranth together.

Overall, I am glad I read these books. Some of the characters I really did enjoy.

But I'm not sure I'll be rushing to reread these ones any time soon. :p

Princess

I finished it earlier this week. Did anyone else find the character named Tesla interesting or see the connection?

Drake

I just found out that there will be a fourth book added to this series, set to be released in August 2013.

It will be titled The Last Jedi.

Radioactive Isotope

Woo! I really enjoyed the other three, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Drake

Sucks that it's two years away!

Mara

Aye.. I saw a few months ago that a fourth was slated. But I agree... it'll be so much later after the first three. Too long to wait.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.