Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Chapter 3: Archaic

Drake

Jaing was finding that the amusement of talking to this woman was starting to wear off and she was gradually becoming an annoyance.

"Listen precious, this isn't my first tea party. The crying game doesn't work and even if you're not faking it, I don't much care. I don't care at all actually. So my advice would be to suck it up and pray that you die well."

He reached over and turned off the comm then sat back and sighed. In all truth, he did care even if just a little bit. He always did in cases like this. It was easier with bounties where the target was some mass-murderer or low-life criminal scum. But this sort of thing, bringing in people who were fair fighters and good people...well, it was never easy. However, it was a job and if Jaing began to show weakness in his job, he would get taken advantage of.

Jaing wasn't an emotionless shell. He wasn't like Boba Fett. Even though the two men had shared the same face and had mostly the same DNA, he was nothing like Fett. He grabbed a painkiller hypo and a splint from his med kit then left the cockpit.

The door to the prisoner hold slid open and Jaing went inside, letting the door close and lock behind him. It would only open with his code anyway.

"Don't try anything stupid, girlie," Jaing said, "I wouldn't want to have to give you any more battle damage then you already have. In fact, I'll help repair some of it, if you'll let me." He held up the hypo and splint then nodded down to her ankle.

Rogue

She sat up straighter against the wall. "Right, because I'm stupid enough to start an unarmed tussle with a Mando, in his own territory. I must look dumb as a veil dancer if you think that." She sighed. "So what, does Argos have you on a temp contract or long-term?"

Drake

Jaing shrugged and knelt down by her injured leg. "Some have tried before so that was more of a general warning." He pushed up Layla's pant leg and pressed the hypo to her pink skin, right above the ankle. "And I'm what you could call a part-time freelance contractor for Archaic. They know what I can do so they exclusively contract me for their more troublesome bounties. For you, though...that needed a few other distractions."

He stood and removed his simple leather belt then rolled his eyes at the look Layla gave him. "Don't get all excited now." He folded the belt in half and handed it to her. "Bite down on it because this will still hurt."

Once Layla had complied and put the belt between her teeth, Jaing grabbed her foot and quickly popped the ankle back into place.

Rogue

Layla clenched her fists in pain, and it was a good thing the belt was in her mouth because she was pretty sure if it wasn't they'd be stitching her tongue back on next. After the initial garbled cursing, she pulled the belt from her mouth and shifted into a more comfortable position. "Thanks. So Deign feels that a small mercenary fleet is an expendable price to get me back. I shudder to think of what he's paying you. Probably more than what I get paid in five years with the New Republic."

She shuddered to think that Deign would let all of those people die, just to get to her.

Drake

Jaing quickly put Layla's ankle into the splint and tightened it up before stepping back towards the door. "Most of those mercs won't make it back, meaning Argos won't have to pay as much. They weren't his men anyway so why should he care? Although...his enforcer, Cale Sano, was there. Probably under the impression that he would get credit for your capture."

He turned and opened the door only to turn around to face her again. "You hungry?"

Rogue

Layla was begining to think that her pheromones were having a much better effect than they usually had on Tak. Takeshi. There she went thinking of him again. All that time that she had spent training, and sparring with him, and here she was, useless.

"No...I can't eat right now...thank you though, for the offer." She looked up to him. "Tell me though...that Mandalorian who fought for me...is he going to be okay?"

Drake

After a moment of consideration, Jaing said, "If he doesn't suffocate on his own blood, sure. He fought well and with honour and if he died, then it was for a noble effort." He left her with that, closing and locking the door behind him.

Rogue

That wasn't quite the comforting thought I was hoping for. She thought as the door clanged shut to her left. After a few long moments of worry, survival kicked in. She knew, logically, that she couldn't do anything about Takeshi now. If he died though, she knew that would hang on her head until she died, and then it would probably follow her into the afterlife.

Now, she needed to focus on herself.

She needed to have all of her wits about her when she saw Deign again.

Andy

Coruscant undercity

Aston woke in the pitch darkness with the faint taste of blood in his mouth. He sat up and felt a pain in his head and reached to touch it, finding a dried scab along the hairline where he must have cut in the fall. He felt around for his night vision visor and found it cracked, but thankfully functional. He looked around and found a vast room, punctuated every so often by thick reinforced duracrete columns; presumeably supports for the towering skyscrapers of the city above.

The lift was smashed beyond his capability to repair. There was a giant '1' painted crudely on the wall behind it. The first floor of the tower?

Aston sighed and gathered his belongings and looked for a way out. He followed the wall hoping there would be another lift further along, but after a few minutes he only managed to find a collapsed walkway, to the next building, so continued until he reached the next, which was marked '2'. Figuring it seemed safer than the previous one, he walked slowly across it.

Edited by Andy

Princess

Ryloth

"No really Nat? HELLO! Sold into slavery here! I think I know just a little bit about the sexism here." Nima sighed as she leaned back against the rock. She was silent for a few minutes as she stared at the rocks floating above her head. "I was ripped out of my life, sold to a fat warlord, and forced to dance. I wasn't even allowed to do what I did best. I was just there for his degrading enjoyment. It was awful. I finally managed to get a hypo and I killed him in his sleep. It was risky, but I freed myself and my fellow slaves. It was years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday." Nima stood and held a hand out to Nat. "Want to help me go buy some new toys?"

Rogue

Nat sighed at her, taking her help in standing. He knew he couldn't understand what that was like to go through that, but he just wanted her to be careful. He knew that she was ready to run in, weapons blazing against something bigger than herself.

"Nat!" A familiar voice broke the silence, just as he was about to respond. Before he could do so much as turn around, a pair of lean, dark blue arms were squeezing him from behind. "Rol said you were home, but I didn't believe him. You haven't been home once since you attended the flight Accademy on Coruscant. Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"It was a last minute decision Seela." Nat said, patting her arm once before she finally released him. "Otherwise you would have been the first to know."

"Of course." The woman was a beautiful Twi'lek, a few years younger than Nat with the same dark skin, long lekku, and blue eyes. Blue was a very rare eyecolor for their species, and her eyes were so light in comparison to her skin that it gave her an exotic look. She smiled over at Nima before turning to wink at Nat. "Oh, and who's this?"

Nat shook his head lightly in amusement before introducing them. "Seela, this is Nima'secura, a sesk'ryvak [medic] who works within my Squadron. Nima, this is my lia'ry [younger sister], See'lariamor."

Seela bowed her head in respect. "A true pleasure to meet you, Nima'secura."

Edited by Rogue

Andy

Coruscant undercity

Aston reached the end of the walkway to find a corridor of numbered doors. As he looked around he realised he was in a puzzle. The doors were marked 4.0 to 4.9. He checked his datapad for the number he had discovered earlier and found that the next digit was 9, so he went over to the door marked 4.9 but suddenly changed his mind as he touched the handle, and went to door 4.5 instead: 4+5=9.

He was walking down the corridor, happy that he had chosen correctly, when suddenly the floor gave way and he slid down a long chute and tumbled to the floor in what seemed like a small room. As he lay in pain the room was flooded with light, and he pushed himself back to the wall, totally disorientated and dizzy from his fall.

"Well what do we have here?"

Aston didn't know where the voice was coming from.

"Who are you?"

"Aston," he stammered, "Aston Kendall."

"Don't recognise the name," the voice said. "Get him inside."

What have I gotten myself into?

Mara

estate, Corellia

Kaden had smiled, watching their interaction, while keeping silent himself. He finished off his plate and reached for a platter to add on a third helping.

Winters

One Hour Before

"Sir, we've got the girl."

Cale Sano sat in the hanger, seeing his men being freed. "Good!" He got up and started to walk around, "Get her into-"

"The Mando has her in his ship." The man said, what's his name... oh it doesn't matter.

"What? The Mando has her!? And he won't give her to us?"

"Seems like Argos wants her taken to him directly..."

Cale sighed. Everything's starting to fall apart... He pulled out a small holoprojector and started to rub it in his fingers. "Well, I guess everyone get on the ships, we're going back to the main base..." He was a ghost for the trip back to the ship. It may have been a long time to get from point A to point B, but it felt like seconds. He then realized that he was in his quarters and on the way back to Corellia.

He placed the holoprojector on his desk and turned it on. There, poped up, was a small picture of a girl, the girl he loved, the girl he could never marry because of his job. It was a small holo, it was of a girl with long brunette hair that ended with curls and at her shapely figure, fearce dark eyes that spoke intelligence, and a smile that made his knees melt.

"I... He..." He sat down and looked at her, "The Mando is messing everything up." He looked into the eyes, those dark eyes, almost black... "I was susposed to get that girl! I was susposed to be the one handing her to Argos! I was... I was..." He walked over and held the hologram as best as he could. "I was so close my love... Nasha... Ms. Nasha Ryell..." He fell onto the floor, crying.

Edited by Winters

Princess

Nima bowed her head. "It is a pleasure to meet you See'lariamor." A giant grin burst across her face. "Please tell me that you have some embarrassing stories about ol' stoic blueberry here?"

Seela burst out laughing. "Did you just call my brother blueberry?"

"Sithspit!" Nima looked mortified, or as Nat thought, she was faking it. "It just slipped out. He earned that nickname a few missions back when he took some shrapnel to the leg. Oops, did that slip out? I forgot that you didn't want your sister knowing about it. Afraid that she'd baby you or something?" When she glanced up, Nima wasn't too sure of the look in Nat's eye.

Rogue

His lekku twitched in response. Nat could think of a few torturous ways to exact vengence for that. He had half a mind to force her to clean all the X-wings with nothing but her toothbrush. Or have her clean up all the hair Atuarre left on the couches. Or both.

Now, Seela was looking up at him with her blue eyes full of sympathy. "Is that true, Nat? You got hurt? Are you okay?" She thought better of her words, placing her hands on her hips. "And you weren't going to tell me about it?!"

"I'm fine, Seela. Leg's all healed or I wouldn't be walking on it. Nima took care of that herself." He glanced over at Nima darkly, and then back to Seela. "And I was going to tell you about it."

"Ohhhh I see..." She grinned. "So Nima, was my brother a giant pain in the neck? Still afraid of needles?"

Nat ran a hand over his face. "For the record, you're the same color as a blueberry too, you know."

Princess

Nima grabbed Seela's arm. "Come, let's walk. I'll tell you what an annoying pain your brother was as a patient, and you can tell me some embarrassing stories to tell the rest of the squadron about him." The two female Twi'leks set off towards the market. "Are you hungry? We need to find a collypod cart. I haven't had that in AGES and I'm starving for some." Seela and Nima walked towards the market, an instant friendship formed. Nima turned around, looked at Nat following them, and blew him a kiss.

Rogue

Nat rubbed his eyes in annoyance. He wasn't a Jedi, but if he was he'd have a very bad feeling about this. This was exactly why your job and your family were supposed to be separate. He wondered what he did to deserve this.

"Well, I could tell you a ton of stories from when he was younger," Seela told Nima, patting her on the arm. "Like the time he told my father he wanted to join the Rebellion. My mother thought he was brightsick. You should have seen her face."

Seela was being kind if that was the extent of the stories she was telling to Nima. Then again, Seela had always been kind to him, and he had always been good to her.

Drake

Takeshi and Jaim finally made it back to the base. It would seem that the invaders had retreated and gone to hyperspace not long before. Probably once they had Layla.

They went straight to the command centre, not even bothering to get Tak to the medbay. When they walked through the door, they found several mercenary bodies being dragged out. It seemed that the battle had reached the top before the enemy pulled out. Everyone paused, for a moment, to look as the armoured but helmetless Mandalorian entered the room.

Base Commander Tebus was speaking with Captain Slade about the orbital attack. Both men stopped and looked over at Takeshi when he approached.

"Lieutenant Beskar," said Slade with a slight sneer. "This is a different look for you."

Ignoring him, Tak spoke directly to the Commander. "Sir, I believe Flight Officer Nasrin was the primary target of the enemy."

"What makes you say that?" asked Tebus.

"I just fought the bounty hunter who captured her, sir," he said and then sighed. "I was knocked out and when I came to, her and the Mandalorian were gone."

Slade snorted indredulously, "Another Mandalorian...like you, right? How do we know you didn't set this whole thing up?"

"Captain!" shouted Commander Tebus.

Despite his injuries, Takeshi moved so fast, Slade barely had time to register the admonition before the katana blade was next to his throat. The Captain's eyes went wide with fear.

Takeshi's face was red with anger. "What did you just say, you slimey di'kut?" [foolish, idiotic, useless individual]

"Lieutenant!" roared the Commander. "That's quite enough!"

Tak frowned and returned his sword to its sheath.

"I think that's a clear enough message of Lieutenant Beskar's loyalties, Captain," said Tebus. To Tak, he said, "Now I'll forgive this little emotional outburst because I can't afford to court martial anyone right now. We've lost 26 personnel today, including 5 members of the Screaming Mynocks."

Takeshi looked over at Slade who merely gave a tight-lipped frown. The Captain added, "In turn, we destroyed the bulk of their fleet. Most of their fighters were destroyed and only two of their warships escaped into hyperspace."

The Commander nodded and continued, "Now, I have to coordinate an evacuation. We've been compromised so we all need to return to Coruscant as soon as we can regroup and recover."

"And what of the rest of Revenant Squadron and the personnel on leave?" asked Tak.

"One of the turbolaser hits took out our long range communications array. Once it's repaired, in an hour or so, I'll be sending a signal having everyone rendezvous at NRDF HQ." After a moment of thought, Tebus asked, "Lieutenant, I'm to understand that you're people have a custom of never leaving a soldier behind, is that right?"

Takeshi nodded grimly, "Yes, sir."

The Commander nodded, "It's a custom of mine, as well. Now, since I assume you'll be going after Officer Nasrin regardless, I'm making it a rescue mission, for you and the rest of Revenant Squadron."

"Thank you, sir," said Tak. He didn't allow the elation he felt to show. The Commander was right, Tak would have gone after Layla alone if he had to. Hell, he would have left the Defense Force if he had to. Now that he had an official order and backup from his squadmates, the mission would be a whole lot easier. "Officer Adarra and I will leave immediately."

"Stop by the medlab before you leave," said Tebus. "You look like hell." Tak saluted and Tebus returned the gesture. As the Lieutenant turned to leave, the senior officer caught him short. "Oh, Lieutenant. How are you planning on tracking this bounty hunter?"

A grim smile crossed Takeshi's lips as he half-turned to face the Commander and Captain Slade. "I won't need to. I know exactly where he's taking her."

Near Corellia

The Null-10 dropped out of hyperspace and set a course towards the planet beyond.

Jaing was back in the pilot's seat, relaying a signal that would allow him to slip past local sensor networks unchallenged. A little gift from Archaic. Once in orbit, the bounty hunter set a course for the Archaic headquarters in Tyrena.

Bad furday

Beach resort, Gold Beach, Corellia

Sunlight streamed in through the blinds, bathing the room in a soft golden glow.

Arlan rolled over in the bed and faced Jya.

A slight smile played on Jya's lips, as her shoulders rose and fell with her body's breathing.

After a moment of him staring at her, she half opened her eyes.

"Morning!" she murmured, kissing Arlan.

Arlan grinned.

"I thought that today, we could head off and spend some time in the capital. Poke around, have a look

at the place, and all that."

"I'd like that" replied Jya. She traced a finger down his chest and body.

Arlan's eyes widened, and Jya laughed.

"We really ought to take care of this morning woshyr before we leave!"

Princess

Nima and Seela were getting some collypod from a vendor when Nima caught site of a familiar Twi'lek with the lightest purple skin. Nima dropped her food and took off at a sprint. "Haoy! [Mother!]"

The light purple Twi'lek turned around, her mouth dropped in shock. "Nima! Sama! [Daughter!] You're alive! I thought that you were ch'sei [dead]"

Nima wrapped her mother in a tight hug. "No Mama. I'm alive. I was coming home for Dia'secura's wedding with Cotan'secura when we were attacked by pirate. The next thing I know, I was being sold at a slave auction. But I'm back now. Well, sort of."

"That no good, yellow bellied chi'kan [corrupt individual]. I will kill him for this!"

"Haoy, we have company. We shall talk of this later, for I have sworn a blood oath to see that chi'kan dead. It will all be taken care of in due time. Now mama, I'd like you to meet someone." Nima turned and motioned Nat over. "Mama, this is Natri'amor. He's the executive officer for the squadron that I'm in with the New Republic Defense Force. I escaped Mama, and went to medical school like you said that I should and I became a doctor. I'm the medic for the squadron. Natri'amor, this is my haoy, Daesh'asecura."

Nima's mother turned around and fixed her sharp black gaze on Nat.

Rogue

Nat held a hand to his stomach as he bowed respectufully to the woman. "It's a pleasure to meet such an eswo [beloved] mother." He told her, rising after a long moment. The look she gave him didn't escape his notice, and was so icy that it almost made him take a step backwards. "You're daughter is a fine medic. The squadron would be lost without her aid and knowledge."

Princess

"It is good that you think of my daughter this way. Come, let us go eat, and we can catch up on the years. You too Natri'amor and See'lariamor. I want to know everything, and since Natri'amor has been connected with my eswo daughter for a while now, I want to know more. My dead daughter is brought back to life!" Daesha grabbed Nat and Nima by their hands and dragged them to a nearby cafe.

Rogue

"I've only known Nima for a few months," Nat said, wishing he could get out of this one.

Seela chuckled to herself at Nat's growing discomfort, seeing his lekku curling in annoyance. She knew he was trying to be polite, but if she knew her brother, he just wanted to rest right now. Then the three of them come running in and steal his peace away.

Princess

Nima reached behind her mother and squeezed Nat's arm, mouthing the word sorry at him. "Mother, we really should let Nat go. We're on limited leave, and he has yet to see his family."

"Nonsense!" Daesha exclaimed. "This will only take a little while, and child, you've been missing for so long, can you blame me?"

"No mama, I can't. I'm just trying to remain respectful of Nat's wishes."

Daesha turned to Nat again. "Is spending time with my daughter really such a bad thing that you wish to escape?"

Nima groaned, and wished that there was a desk nearby to ram her head against.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.