Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Chapter 2: Forges of Ithyari

Vergere

As the Lieutenant walked and stuttered his way through explaining everything on the ship, Brier would randomly stop him and ask him about certain electronics or parts of the station, as if to see if he really knew his ship that well. Brier walked up to various electrical inputs and outputs and, in appearing to inspect them, either inserted demolitions or electrical information that, when activated, would completely screw up the computer systems in the station. Using slight of hand tricks she learned as a child, she picked up several ID cards of officers as they passed by without being noticed, figuring she could use them later.

After what Brier believed to be a rather long and boring tour of the station, she had managed to place all of her various demolitions and corrupted various computer systems that were now set to be blown up whenever Brier keyed in the destruct code. She was then led into a large conference-like room where a grand course of food was laid upon the table. Resisting the urge to grin in pure amusement, she merely raised an eyebrow and nodded regally bas she was introduced to all of the officers at the early-morning / late-night meal that was prepared for the 'inspector' of the station.

Ender

Jaim snickered after Nat answered Kaden. "Hilts, why can't people just say "thank you" and get on with it anymore?"

Hilts cackled in reply.

Jaim smiled. "At least someone in this flight's got a sense of humor."

Drake

Aeric opened up the comm channel to Flight One. "Ready for take-off. Let's move out." He activated the repulsors on his X-Wing and brought the fighter up above the treetops, waiting for his flight to do the same. "Brǽnen, you'll be my wing."

Princess

Nima lifted her fighter and keyed her terrain following mode, so that they wouldn't be picked up as they snuck in on the starfighter factory. There was no need for the enemy to find out that they were there until it could no longer be avoided. Jya slipped in on her wing and they headed stealthily towards the factory.

Ayingel

Szen smiled. "You got it." She tried to shake out what was left of her nerves about the mission and took a deep breath. Comet whirred. "I know what you mean. Here goes..."

Rogue

After a while, Lieutenant Riamor announced. "Target coming up in ten klicks. Lock S-foils in attack position."

Mara

"Locking S-foils..." Kaden said as he performed the aforementioned task.

"Artie, full power to shields and sensors. We don't want any surprises."

Ender

Jaim locked his S-foils and primed his first proton torpedo.

"Hilts, the moment you've got a lock on that bay, I wanna know about it."

Mara

A few moments later, Kaden could just begin to see a little bit of a building roof peaking above the treetops ahead of them. It would be the northwest side of the factory, which would put the hangar to the starboard nearer the clearing. With the hangar doors likely pointing towards the clearing and away from the jungle and the X-wings, he and Jaim would have to fly past a few anti-air guns before getting a better shot at the target.

"More power to shields on port and bow, Artie. If you have to, decrease on starboard side."

Kaden readied a torpedo, waiting for his chance to dive over the jungle trees and face the hangar. For the best chance of destroying the TIEs and the hangar, he'd need to target a very specific area.

"12, I'm going to focus my torp on the right back corner of the hangar, hitting where the suspensor meets the ceiling, hoping to bring down the whole roof on the TIEs. If you could aim towards the same on the left corner while the Lt. and 6 keep those guns occupied...I think we're good."

At least, if I've figured right...

Drake

"Attack formation," said Takeshi as he locked his S-foils. "I'm picking up ground fortifications on sensors. Turbolaser towers and large droid signatures, probably Boomers. There's also a few anti-air turrets. When we crest the valley ridge, we go in low. Take out any towers and droids in range. When we reach the anti-air, Layla and Atuarre climb up and take them out. Arlan, you and I will clear ourselves a landing zone."

Ender

"Sounds good to me. Let's rock this."

Mara

Kaden cut his X-wing's speed a little, waiting for the lieutenant and Aston to reach the northwest anti-air turrets. He didn't want to start his attack on the hanger until as least part of the guns were occupied.

Drake

Once the rest of Flight One had ascended, Aeric sped away from the camp.

He activated his comm. "We're going to go in fast and strike hard. We need to do as much damage to their hangers as we can on our first pass so that there are less fighters for them to scramble. After that, we split up. Brǽnen and I will make an attack run on the factory power core. Orson and Secura, you'll pass over the north-side of the base, shooting apart their communications arrays. Once done, you'll circle back, to cover me and Szen. Understand?"

It did not take long to reach the factory and soon columns of steam could be seen rising from the horizon.

Rogue

At the front of the formation, Nat and Aston sped up, heading in a fast, unpredictable course towards the base, and the anti air turrets they held. They began to swarm, diverting their attention from Kaden and Jaim, and firing laser bursts at the gun placements on the tall towers.

Ayingel

Szen spoke into her comm. "So, this is it, huh?"

Ender

Hilts gave a positive lock tone.

"Torp away!" Jaim said, and fired.

Vergere

Brier sat back into a nice, plush chair as the meal was served, and began polite conversation with the officers sitting there with her.

Mara

Kaden also sent a proton torpedo off , and it went sailing into the right side suspensor mechanism where it locked into the ceiling. Timing it almost simultaneously with Jaim's torp, he hoped the double blast would bring down the whole roof down on the fighters before any could be readied for takeoff.

He took his X-wing in an arc away from the blast, turning around to face the action again and waiting for all the smoke to clear to survey the damage. With any luck, just the anti-air guns would be left.

"Artie, revert shields back to full power each side with extra on our bow."

Rogue

"Nice job," Nat said simply. He and Aston had taken down half of the anti-air turrets when the hanger blew, sending a fireball and shrapnel into the air.

Princess

Nima signalled on her comm. "Copy lead. Let's create some fireworks Jya." She aimed at the communications array nearest her and took it apart with surgical precision from her lasers, saving her proton torps for the harder targets.

Ayingel

As the Captain and Szen neared the hangars, it seemed eerily quiet. "Not sure if I like this." Nevertheless, she took aim with her lasers and fired on the hangar. "Just one pass, sir?"

Drake

"No," said Aeric. "Torpedoes into the hanger." He brought up his targeting computer, aiming into the densest pack of starfighters on their racks. "Fire!" A pair of blue-tailed proton torpedoes left their tubes, streaking towards their target. Waiting a fraction of a second more, Aeric saw Szen, Jya and Nima do the same. "Split up, flight. You know your targets." As the hanger bay lit up with explosions, Aeric pulled his fighter into an arc, steering towards the factory power generators.

The four Revenants of Three Flight shot over the rocky cliff and made a sharp dive toward the mountain valley below. In the middle of the rocky valley stood the intimidating structure designed to create walking machines of destruction. A wall surrounded the factory and several turret towers lined the fortifications. Atop the factory roof stood several anti-air batteries.

Even from this distance, Takeshi could see the shapes moving atop the wall and knew what they were. "Boomers on the wall," he said over the comm. "Take out the towers first, then worry about the droids. They know we're here so make it fast and hit them hard."

Tak accelerated, closing the distance to the wall in a matter of seconds. The turret in front of him took too long to orient itself on his fighter and met a fiery end with a quad-laser strike. Once that tower was down, Takeshi swung back towards the next one down the wall.

Mara

Kaden's only response to Nat's compliment was "Sir." He had no need to say anything else; he was only doing his job.

Juking and jinking to keep the turrets from getting a hold, he fired off his lasers at them. "What's next, Lieutenant?"

Vergere

Brier delicately ate her meal as the officers talked.

One of the men next to her leaned over so that they could talk under the chatter of the other officers. "So how is your CO doing?"

She looked over innocently, "Admiral Renair? He's doing well. He is getting a bit too fond of food though, if you know what I mean." She winked and the officer laughed.

"He has always been fond of food, that is true." The man nodded. "So, have you been satisfied with your tour of the space station?"

Brier nodded, crisply, "Yes. I do believe I scared the Lieutenant, however."

"He probably deserved it."

She smiled, "He can consider it an initiation into the Imperial ranks. He needs to be scared. If not he'll not be a good junior officer."

Princess

Nima smiled in satisfaction. "Comm towers are down lead, these guys won't be talking to anyone." She swung around with Jya to rejoin Aeric and Szen