Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Alcohol and the Movies

Mara

Okay, a movie theater in a city in my area was just approved by that city to sell alcohol. Apparently the city commissioners and such believe that if the theater can sell alcohol it will revitalize the city. (It has been losing a bit of business, the city, I mean).

Apparently they believe this is a step in the right direction.

However, I'm concerned because not only is this turning into "the bad side of town," but also this would allow people to drive up to see a movie, drink during it and then leave before they're probably sober.

How can this be a good thing?

Yes, the theater is planning on adding a banquet hall and they have a little cafe area, but you will be allowed to buy a can of beer and take it into the movie with you.

How many people will wait around until they are able to drive again? Will they designate someone to drive home after the movie?

I dunno.

Also, lots of families go to these places. Would you want your children surrounded by adults drinking beer out of cans?

And what's to stop adults from letting their teens have a sip or a can once under the protected darkness of the theater?

The motion has already passed, so I can't do anything about it. And there are a couple other theaters in the state that already sell alcohol.

But I think I will go to another theater in a different part of town.

I only hope that it only happens to this one and not to the whole chain (there are two others owned by the company in the area that I go to).

What do you think?

Uncle Du

Whoa. I think that might be a bad idea. I'd be drunk as hell by the time a movie is over. And I don't drive when I drink, but that's also because I've learned that lesson. There's plenty of boneheads out there that drive drunk.

Mara

Indeed.

I'm sure there are lots of responsible people... but who will call a taxi at a theater? Or sit around waiting to feel sober?

I know it's only like a class C license so it'll only be by the can and not by the glass, but still.

Which is why I don't think I'll even venture out into that area of town. At least not at night. It's already a sketchy area without adding this to the mess.

Radioactive Isotope

what the heck were they thinking? this looks like a disaster waiting to happen. hopefully if they have enough crashes/injuries/death due to movie-goers driving drunk, they'll repeal it.

TheUnknown

I agree. This is a bad idea, for all of the reasons Mara listed. Not to mention, imagine how annoying drunks will be when you're watching a movie.

Radioactive Isotope

although some movies they're making these days would probably be better if one is inebriated......

Mara

Haha...

Yeah, I dunno, I guess they think this is a start to rejuvenate the city. :roll:

And I had it wrong... They'll be selling beer and wine by the glass, not by the can.

Chris/Tauntaun13

Lol, sounds like you're making it into a big deal. I mean, if people want to drink beer, they'll go to a bar. Over here cinemas sell beer along with every other kind of beverage and food, but I've never seen anyone drinking while watching a movie. Why drink beer in a movie theater and not in a bar or a club accompanied by the music, the people etc? Beer drinking is usually a social activity and you can't exactly socialize while you're watching a film.

Mara

Yes but they're going to let people do it. :p

I'm sure there will be some who drink during the movie, just like drinking pop or eating popcorn.

Ayingel

well, that could open the possibility of having a "social time" film, example, a movie that's played with only dim lights that allows people to drink and socialize while watching a movie. like, a mommy movie or something (something they have here that allows mothers to bring babies or other small children to a movie the mom wants to see)

Alexander

Theatres would do better business, whereas some movies require alcohol to enjoy. People would see more bad movies knowing that they would be zoused when watching them.

Neil1

Excellent idea. Take them from the bars and culture them.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.