Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Ana

The Power and Peril of Praise

Ana

An article about how the way you praise your kids, and how you were praised as a kid, effects you:

Here

I found this article amazingly accurate. Thomas IS me in elementary school, but with a better social life. It was so confusing and frustrating for the teachers to give me the sixth-grade extracurricular reading list when I was in third grade, but to almost fail math. It took me a long time to realize that yes, I was smarter at some things, but that I had to work at things too. What do you think?

Neil1

Pop that ego!

:p

Nice article, though. Very revealing.

Uncle Du

Wow, that is really neat. It really stops to make me think about things. Obviously my parents always told me I was smart, but I just generally never put forth as much effort as I could when I was in school. It just didn't seem worth my time, but I would still cut low three's for a GPA. Which is good considering I never did homework.

But I think they're right. I remember when I got complimented on a good job, and the effort that I put forth, it motivated me to perform better next time. If someone said something about how smart I was, it didn't really get to me. Same thing now, I know I'm somewhat what intelligent (:p ), so I don't need to hear it from other people. Recognize me for the good work I do.

Good article Ana.

TheUnknown

Actually, it reminds me more of a friend of mine than me. He is very smart, was the salutatorian of our high school graduation class, and has like a 3.8 GPA in college. But he chickened out of most AP classes in high school and has told me he doesn't think he's that smart.

I do do relate to the article in a big way, though. I'm afraid of failure and trying unfamiliar things. I have poor study skills and a poor work ethic, both of which mostly stem from never actually having to study or work hard. The process for me was a little delayed. It wasn't middle school or even high school when I really started to doubt myself or started to have problems. It was college. I'm not doing poorly; I have a 3.5 GPA, but almost every semester, something has come up that has thrown me off and costed me at least one letter grade. But deep down inside, I know to some extent that I'm making excuses and could have made up considerable ground with a better work ethic.

GI_Admiral

If you don't try you won't fail...

If you think you're smart, what's the worst feeling? Failure. You say "Oh man, I'm smart, I should know this...I',m [insert a bunch of awards GPAs etc]." So you feel like you should be able to succeed but you don't want to fail (which many people will on their first try of many things).

Success in activity A won't matter cause you have B C D etc, but failure in A sticks with you

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.