Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

Weekly Poll #72

U.S Presidents  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Andy

Well, there is no use in denying that steroeypes exist.

On a totally off-topic note I like to think that I don't fit into any stereotypes. :D

GI_Admiral

Hahaha, everything is based off of or is a stereotype....That's how we percieve people.

Ayingel

true...but we should aviod sterotyping, or the americans in general are up on the list.

Link

*America with a Female President*

"The nuclear attacks on Russia today seem to stem from the US President's inability to find a bar of chocolate..."

Andy

*covers that post up before Pod sees* :)

Chickenman

true...but we should aviod sterotyping, or the americans in general are up on the list.

Says the person who just made a stereotypical joke about Jewish people?

GI_Admiral

lol look at my post above it. Everyone stereotypes even though they know they shouldn't/don't believe they do. It's easier for the mind :p

Ayingel

i didn't mean to...and then more were coming out from others and i wanted it to stop. yeah...hipocrites happen.

Tsl

In order to discuss this topic, stereotyping is practically required, so if you don't like it, then don't discuss the topic. If it weren't for stereotyping, we wouldn't have to be discussing what race/sex/affiliation/blah blah a president would be, because it wouldn't matter to anybody.

Radioactive Isotope

the thing about stereotypes is that we all like to say they are totally wrong and you should never judge someone by a stereotype. but there has to be at least some truth to them, or they wouldn't be stereotypes. :p

GI_Admiral

Not true JM :p

I could say knowing all the mormons I know (2), both like Anime...therefore all Mormons like anime. That might not be true for half of the mormon population out there...:p

I agree with TSL...there muts be stereotypes for arguments...I tried to not stereotype, but I've given up and resigned myself to my imminent trip to hell :p

Ayingel

well then you'll be okay..there's no level in hell for stereotypers...

Radioactive Isotope

I could say knowing all the mormons I know (2), both like Anime...therefore all Mormons like anime. That might not be true for half of the mormon population out there...:p

I agree with TSL...there muts be stereotypes for arguments...I tried to not stereotype, but I've given up and resigned myself to my imminent trip to hell :p

ok, first, bad example. even basic statistics will tell you 2 does not equal the whole population. not even close (on the other hand, my sister and her friend like anime, so there's 4. still not close, though. :p). i'm talking about the stereotypes we've all grown up with. for instance, AND THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE! I AM NOT RACIST!! the stereotype that blacks aren't as smart as whites. for a long time, they didn't have the educational opportunites that whites did (and you can argue they still don't), so of course they wouldn't know as much. it's not that they are dumb, just not educated.

GI_Admiral

ok, first, bad example. even basic statistics will tell you 2 does not equal the whole population. not even close (on the other hand, my sister and her friend like anime, so there's 4. still not close, though. :p). i'm talking about the stereotypes we've all grown up with. for instance, AND THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE! I AM NOT RACIST!! the stereotype that blacks aren't as smart as whites. for a long time, they didn't have the educational opportunites that whites did (and you can argue they still don't), so of course they wouldn't know as much. it's not that they are dumb, just not educated.

lol An examples an example

2 does not equal the whole population...if i had the whole population then it wouldn't be a stereotype now would it...if the whole population liked anime, then it would be the truth when I say "The whole population likes anime". If two people liked anime, and they are the ONLY two people I know, and I say "The whole population likes anime" its stereotyping all the rest of the population.

Second, the fact that you said "We've all grown up with" is a stereotype. You believe that since YOU (Or maybe you and a few others on GB) have grown up with the stereotype that blacks aren't as smart as whites, that everyone on GB has grown up with that stereotype.

And to go back to the point of this, which we both did, that "there has to be at least some truth to them, or they wouldn't be stereotypes", I just want to say...that's....self reflecting?

Any valid stereotype is from what you know of the group, even though it doesn't reflect on all of the group (Blacks good at sports, Asians good at math, Mormons having multiple wives, Catholic priests molest little boys, Irish get drunk, British have bad teeth, Indians are techies etc. [Tried to get many of the groups here :p]) have some truth in them because they stem from knowing atleast 1 person of that group taht does it. Which leads me back to my original example. Let's say I only know 1 mormon, and that mormon likes anime, therefore all mormons like anime. Now what if all the mormons EXCEPT that mormon HATE anime. Well, the stereotype still is valid, and while completely wrong, still has a truth to it since that 1 mormon likes anime.

Radioactive Isotope

there is no more polygamy in Mormonism, therefore your stereotype is wrong. it would have been right at one time, hence my point about there being some truth to stereotypes. there are also stereotypes that sat men are pigs and women are catty, both of which have a lot of truth to them. :p

boroty

Hmmm, this is a good question. I think a woman, but it won't happen for awhile.

Radioactive Isotope

i think a woman pres is a great idea. although, someone will have to hide the big red button at certain times. :p

GI_Admiral

there is no more polygamy in Mormonism, therefore your stereotype is wrong. it would have been right at one time, hence my point about there being some truth to stereotypes. there are also stereotypes that sat men are pigs and women are catty, both of which have a lot of truth to them. :p

lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamous_Mo...mon_Polygynists

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/jeff_ws.htm

so uh...yeah.

2nd, of course, I said in the post above. Stereotypes generalize people, so there will always be 1 person that fits it. Guys can jump 6 feet in the air. There only has to be 1 guy out of all the the men in the world that can jump that, and it has truth to it...even though the vast majority of it is wrong.

Chickenman

i didn't mean to...

You deliberatly made a generalization of an entire people. What do you mean you didn't mean to?

Radioactive Isotope

so uh...no.

there is no such thing as a "Mormon fundamentalist" or "Mormon sect." and to associate someone like that with members of the LDS Church is insulting and offensive. polygamy was outlawed by the US government in 1890 (that was 116 years ago) and has not been in practice in the Church since. if Church leaders find out about someone practicing polygamy, said person(s) are promptly excommunicated.

Andy

British have bad teeth

I hate that one, cos it's not true! :p

GI_Admiral

lol I know the history behind mormons and polygamy. The fact is, however, mormon started with polygamy, and only at the ultimatum of the US Government did they change. Hence the stereotype stands...

Edit: And don't lie B! :p

Edited by GI_Admiral

Sentrosi

ok some sects of the mormons still practice polygamy. but who cares. I voted for an athiest. Since a good portion of the problems facing the world today stem many from religious nuts, then the atheist would be the best bet. i mean theyd tell congress to stop being so annoying over stems cells, and we wouldnt have to worry about the political radicals that say a pres with no religion or belief in God goes against the constitution. i bet theyd try to...

sry i digress, the problem right now is no one will oppose, successfully the dems or reps, and even if they had a good platform the dems or reps would eventually just siphon off the votes with some more empty promises and get us all annoyed yet again.

but this upcoming election is going to mean alot to me, i just got back from AIT, and ive no idea whether my unit is going or has gone or what not so, yeah. I have alot of interest in whos running and what the issues are but thus far i really havent heard much about anyone good.

and as far as the stereotyping goes everyone gets stereotyped, (see i just stereotyped everyone) :) happy

TheUnknown

We have talked about resurrecting old polls before and with the 2008 races are in full swing, I think this is a good topic to resurrect.

Andy

lol I forgot about that... For a minute I wondered what was going on :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.