Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Are We Any Safer?

Compared to September 10th, 2001, are we any safer from terrorism now?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Drake

Did you see Britons mourning over the dead for weeks after the attack? Did you hear them calling for the blood of the terrorists? Didn't think so...

Chickenman

Shut up, GI.

Tsl

Well, if we're trying to compare the subway attacks and the 9/11 (oh how I despise that term) then... Well, I don't want this to sound how it will, and I know somebody will twist my words and make me look really bad (I'm looking at you, GI), but honestly they don't compare. The WTC/ Pentagon attacks killed alot more people and did alot more disruption and damage then the attacks in London.

Now, for GI's sake, let me make quite clear that I'm in no way trying to diminish the horribleness of the attacks in London. Obviously any life lost is a tragedy. I'm just trying to put the reactions in perspective.

Also remember, as the media has reminded us a billion times, London is more used to these types of attacks from the IRA and all. The US is definitely not used to them.

Therefore all that "whining and mourning for weeks" was more than justified and should have been expected. Osama needed his ass kicked. Unfortunately, Bush got a lil' sidetracked...short attention span and all, I guess...

I'm a little bothered that people would think less of the nation for mourning the loss of so many and the loss of a percieved immunity to militant attacks... It was a damned scary time.

I'm going to assume this slightly offensive opinion was formed after watching the American media, which, I'm sure anyone will tell you, hardly reflects true public feeling. THey always blow everything way out of proportion and carry on with things longer than the real world does. Please remember that we are not all the complete sensationalizing morons the news media are...

Princess

Therefore all that "whining and mourning for weeks" was more than justified and should have been expected. Osama needed his ass kicked. Unfortunately, Bush got a lil' sidetracked...short attention span and all, I guess...

Someone waved a shiny object in his face

Ayingel

yeah, and when they tried to explain it wasn't his toy, he held on to it harder.

CorSec

Shut up, GI.

He has a point. A more appropriate term would have been, "The terror hasn't affected them to the degree that it did on the WTC attacks"

Reasons aside, there's no way Blair could have done nothing.

GI_Admiral

Well, if we're trying to compare the subway attacks and the 9/11 (oh how I despise that term) then...  Well, I don't want this to sound how it will, and I know somebody will twist my words and make me look really bad  (I'm looking at you, GI), but honestly they don't compare.  The WTC/ Pentagon attacks killed alot more people and did alot more disruption and damage then the attacks in London. 

Now, for GI's sake, let me make quite clear that I'm in no way trying to diminish the horribleness of the attacks in London.  Obviously any life lost is a tragedy.  I'm just trying to put the reactions in perspective.

Also remember, as the media has reminded us a billion times, London is more used to these types of attacks from the IRA and all.  The US is definitely not used to them.

Therefore all that "whining and mourning for weeks" was more than justified and should have been expected.  Osama needed his ass kicked.  Unfortunately, Bush got a lil' sidetracked...short attention span and all, I guess...

I'm a little bothered that people would think less of the nation for mourning the loss of so many and the loss of a percieved immunity to militant attacks...  It was a damned scary time. 

I'm going to assume this slightly offensive opinion was formed after watching the American media, which, I'm sure anyone will tell you, hardly reflects true public feeling.  THey always blow everything way out of proportion and carry on with things longer than the real world does.  Please remember that we are not all the complete sensationalizing morons the news media are...

I actually find myself agreeing with you. I totally agree, mourning is alright. No one can say "UK wasnt affected by terrorist attacks"

Shut up, GI.

Help help im being repressed

Edited by GI_Admiral

Drake

I'm a little bothered that people would think less of the nation for mourning the loss of so many and the loss of a percieved immunity to militant attacks... It was a damned scary time.

I'm going to assume this slightly offensive opinion was formed after watching the American media, which, I'm sure anyone will tell you, hardly reflects true public feeling. THey always blow everything way out of proportion and carry on with things longer than the real world does. Please remember that we are not all the complete sensationalizing morons the news media are...

My opinion was geared toward the media and not the public. The media kept on with the fear tactics long after everything was over with.

Uncle Du

There should be a third option...who cares? I'm so sick of hearing about all this sith. And to think, I'm one of the people "protecting" us. I have a better chance of getting in my car and being killed by a drunk driver than I do of being killed by a terrorist. And I'm in the military.

GI_Admiral

Well thats just the type of mind that makes the US one of the lowest ranked countries in participation at votes :p

Tsl

My opinion was geared toward the media and not the public. The media kept on with the fear tactics long after everything was over with.

lol, then say you mean the media! You were speaking in terms of general population!

Uncle Du

Well, lucky for me, I can say that because I do vote. :p

GI_Admiral

I didn't. Couldn't be arsed to forge an ID. :(

Princess

That's ok GI. Our state did it's part

GI_Admiral

Unlike a certain state *coughohiocough*

/bitter

Tsl

Hey, just because we were the last major state tallied that day doesn't make it our fault :p

Radioactive Isotope

but it was the deciding state if memory serves. but things could be a lot worse. there are several people in my ward at church that have recently come over from Sudan. that country is torn apart by civil war and has been for years. one gentleman was speaking yesterday and kept saying "I'm so greatful to be in America." yes, there is a threat of a terrorits attack, but he doesn't have to worry as much when he goes out if he's going to make it home alive. and another man doesn't know what happened to his wife and kids. he doesn't know if they're dead, alive, at a refugee camp or anything. so if you put it in perspective, we're all pretty lucky to have homes and families. and no things aren't perfect. they never will be. and yes, there are things that need to change. but i think we forget sometimes how much we truely have and take it for granted.

GI_Admiral

"and no things aren't perfect"

???

Didnt you just say things are perfect.... because "no thing is not perfect."

Ayingel

meaning "no, things aren't perfect"

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.