Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Bushy

Guns

Andy

Well, I think there is no need for someone to own more than no guns.

Bushy

Na dude, I dissagree. There are pistols that are more powerful that most rifles. Plus, some people prefer it to shooting with a rifle. It's smaller and easier to carry.

May I also add that it's quite fun shooting a handgun at a firing range. A lot of people, like myself, own weapons soley for the purpose of shooting for sport (besides for protection, obviously). It helps train the eye, and developes steady nerves and hands.

And I really think the Government should NOT regulate everything. Even how many weapons you own. They don't regulate how many cars rappers own, so why should they regulate how many guns I own? It's my choice, isn't it? Besides, I'd dare to say that the average rapper's car has killed or injured more people than the average American citezen's guns have. :p

I see absolutely nothing wrong with owning a lot of guns. My family owns 5 shotguns, 3 lever-action rifles, 3 .22 rifles, a WWII-era Arisaka rifle, a Yugo SKS, and 4 pellet guns. That's 17. :nerves:

Andy

*makes notes to stay away from Bushy* :p

Edited by beeurd

Bushy

Ha.

Seriously, it's like Elleth (or pod, whatever) said. The more educated you are on the power of a weapon, the more respect you (if you're sane) will have for it. My whole family knows the capabilities of the weapons we own, and respects them a great deal.

Edited by Bushy

TheUnknown

Quick Note: There is a thread called "The Debate Table" somewhere in this forum. If you want to discuss controversial topics, take it there from now on. But, unless someone else objects, you can keep discussing gun control here.

Bushy

I figured this deserved it's own topic, especially since beeurd himself suggested it...

...but that's a different topic...

;)

Edited by Bushy

chozen

Na dude, I dissagree. There are pistols that are more powerful that most rifles.

Yeah, so what?

Handguns can't be easily hid, (when I say hanguns i'm strictly talking about automatic pistols here)

May I also add that it's quite fun shooting a handgun at a firing range.

It's also fun to take drugs and marry lots of woman. :p Both of which can be deadly.

And I really think the Government should NOT regulate everything. Even how many weapons you own. They don't regulate how many cars rappers own, so why should they regulate how many guns I own? It's my choice, isn't it?

Yes but if you chose to sell them on illgeally. It might restrict the amount you sell.

Besides, I'd dare to say that the average rapper's car has killed or injured more people than the average American citezen's guns have.

I'd dare to say that most of which you ehar about 'rappers' is crappers.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with owning a lot of guns. My family owns 5 shotguns, 3 lever-action rifles, 3 .22 rifles, a WWII-era Arisaka rifle, a Yugo SKS, and 4 pellet guns. That's 17. 

And you need them for?

Radioactive Isotope

May I also add that it's quite fun shooting a handgun at a firing range.

It's also fun to take drugs and marry lots of woman. :p Both of which can be deadly.

yes, women are deadly. the sooner you learn that, the safer you'll be. ;) :twisted:

CorSec

Hey, I just realized I met you before. At the SWMB. Yeah, I remember Corran bringing in some "friend" from BaC before. GI_Admiral. Yeah. That's where I remember you from.

.....right...?

No. He's found us out... Run!

Bushy

Yeah, so what?

Handguns can't be easily hid, (when I say hanguns i'm strictly talking about automatic pistols here)

Your point before was that rifles will suffice in hunting.

Also, many other objects can be hidden, such as knives. I don't see a ban on knives because they are easily concealable.

I'd dare to say that most of which you ehar about 'rappers' is crappers.

I was joking :rofl:

And you need them for?

What does it matter?

But if you must know...

3 of the shotguns were willed to my father by his great uncle, so they have huge sentimental value. The other one we picked up in NY while camping a few years ago. The Arisaka Type-38 was picked up by my grandfather while he was an MP in Korea. My dad collects lever-action rifles. My brother and I use the .22s for "sharpshooting contests". Those things are pretty accurate, when you put a scope on them. The SKS was recently picked up by my dad because we go to the range often, and the 7.62 x 39 NATO ammo is very cheap. MUCH cheaper than the .45 x 70 ammo for the lever-action rifle. Plus semi-automatic action means less reloading time :D And the pellet guns we keep around for random plinking, and for shooting the vermin who get into my mom's garden.

Satisfied? :p

chozen

So besides those that are of sentimental value you own 2 guns. Airpistols/bb guns/ pellet guns or whatever you want to call them don't count as guns.

Ah okay. That's not too bad.

I was joking

So was I

For your information most civilised countries, :p, do have non-domestic knives illegal.

Knives are far less intimidating and it is much harder to kill someone with a gun, guns are far more dangerous and hanguns.

Bushy

So besides those that are of sentimental value you own 2 guns. Airpistols/bb guns/ pellet guns or whatever you want to call them don't count as guns.

Ah okay. That's not too bad.

Yes, but sentimental or not, we shoot them all.

I was joking

So was I

I know, hence the lil rolley dude :rofl:

For your information most civilised countries, , do have non-domestic knives illegal.

We're talking about the US here. Europe is strange anyway. :nutty:

chozen

We're talking about the US here. Europe is strange anyway.

Yeah, Europe is. And we're talking about guns

Yes, but sentimental or not, we shoot them all.

yeah, but your not going to rob a store with an old 1950s piece.

Edited by Chozen

Bushy

yeah, but your not going to rob a store with an old 1950s piece.

Exactly. So why take my guns away from me?

Yeah, Europe is. And we're talking about guns

No, we're talking about the controversy surrounding the Liberals' desire to ban guns in the US.

Tsl

They just recently passed a conceal carry law in my state. :nerves:

Apparently it lowers the crime rate though, in other states that have done it. People are less likely to pull a gun on you, I guess, if there's a fairly good chance they might have one pointed right back at 'em.

I've thought about this whole banning guns thing, and I've come to the following conclusion. Those who want to use guns for evil will get them anyway, whether it's legal to have them or not. Banning guns could possibly decrease crimes of passion and accidents and that's about it. I do think it would be nice if gun owners were required to go through gun safety courses, like they have to in order to get a concealed weapon permit. Some people are really stupid and a little training could go a long way to keep them from accidently shooting themselves or others.

Bushy

I agree...

chozen

I've thought about this whole banning guns thing, and I've come to the following conclusion. Those who want to use guns for evil will get them anyway, whether it's legal to have them or not.

This is what I don't get, people say; "Those who want to use guns for evil will get them anyway", all well and good in principle. But it just isn't the case. If there are guns left right and centre how hard is it for a criminal to obtain them? Piss easy.

If you just look at the facts, The US has a higher rate of gun crimes and gun deaths then any other country in the developed world, hell, more people die of gun deaths than all the developed countries PUT together, and most of these countries have strict gun regulation and gun bans. hmm.. coincidence? I dunno

30,708 people died, in 1998, through homocide, suicide and accident.

9, 000 reports of gun related crime were recorded around 2002.

Exactly. So why take my guns away from me?

Well, I don't believe the older guns should be taken away, to be honest I think all your guns are 'fine' to an extent, however, i believe hanguns and other light arms should be made illegal.

Pandora

I know I don't say this often and when I do, church attendence increases because it appears the Apocalypse is coming. But I agree with Pod.

*chokes on her breakfast and starts herself on an asperin regimen*

1. Guns should not be banned. The people have a right to own a gun for the purpose of hunting, protection, or sport just as much as they have a right to say that Bush is an idiot and pray to Allah.

Okay, you're still Unknown. I can tell with the last phrase there.

2. However, one does not need an assault rifle, a machine gun, or a bazooka to protect yourself or hunt. These weapons and the ammunition for them should be completely banned.

To MY knowledge, I don't think any bum off the street can wake up one morning, say, "I think I'll buy a bazooka today," and actually find such an item in the everyday gunshop and purchase it LEGALLY. I also believe that some of the macho men out there use the bigger guns for competitive combat shooting. My uncle has an assault rifle, and I think that's what he does with it. (he keeps it unloaded in the bottom of his closet, but he doesn't have children running around the house anymore).

3. To buy a gun, you should have to submit to a background check that includes a check on your criminal record and any history of mental illness.

I THINK that SOME states have a law similar to this.

4. You should have to get a permit to buy a gun.

5. To get a permit, you should pass a class on gun safety that includes sections on locks.

Now I think some states have this too, or some variation of it. In Tennessee you can BUY a gun without a permit, but you cannot CARRY it without one. And there are different permits for different guns. And before you can get your hunting license (which allows you to carry weapons for hunting purposes) you have to take a class, pass it, and I think you also have to take a test. But since I don't have a hunting license, and probably never will, I couldn't tell you for sure. (If you really really REALLY want to know, I can ask my neighbor across the street. He hunts. And he's on the Memphis Metro Gang unit... and helped arrest a murderer with a swat team... in my backyard... but that's another story).

6. Gun sellers should be liscensed to sell firearms (or any weapons for that matter).

I think this is mostly in effect too.

chozen

I don't think The Unknown criticizing the current system in the US.

Edited by Chozen

Andy

Is there a word missign there, Chozen? :|

chozen

It just seemed like Pod was going on a America is perfect, the gun laws are all fine. I'm going to prove that the US is already doing it right and responsibly.

Whilst I don't think Unknown was actually criticizing the current US system, just commenting on what he believed was the best policy.

Pandora

Far from it. I was simply commenting on Unknown's remarks. I think even Unknown can see that when I said "SOME states MIGHT" i was not giving concrete and unquestionable evidence of America's perfection.

I may be patriotic and gung-ho, but that doesn't mean I think my country is perfect. Part of patriotism is the desire and drive to improve ones country.

GI_Admiral

The thing is...you guys all talk about how classes will teach more respect. If you're in a blind rage, are you going to go back thinking about "Ok, never turn safety off, never keep gun and bullets in same spot...etc" no,, you'll be thinking about revenge. Classes would only go so far, maybe to help prevent some of the children accidents, but not any, as TSL calls them, Passion crimes.

Also, I think that there should be a restriction on the number of guns. That might make people have to choose, but it would be better than some Rambo-guy stockpiling weapons for WW3.

Pandora

I can see your argument, but I STILL cannot concede the point. If someone has addressed my assertion that this is another way to take the blame off the criminals for their own actions, please, tell me.

GI_Admiral

If you ban guns, the hardcore criminal/terrorist would still get them. The 1 time criminal (Bankrobber or something) would be prevented.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.