Jump to content
Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

    We would be honored if you would join us...

Princess

The Sports Bar

Recommended Posts

Darth Marius

Cause what's his name rushed the mound with Ryan up there he grab him put him in a headlock then punched his head with his pitching arm the trainers were going nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

March Madness! Woohoo!!!

I'm so sad I work during the prime viewing times. :(

But, I made up four different brackets, hehe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess

Wow. Not only did the Avs get SWEPT by the Wings, but to lose 8-2, that's just pitiful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

Damn.

Oh, well, I'm rooting for the Penguins. For my sister.

And I'm just happy the Tigers seem to be back to normalcy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

DERBY DAY!!!!

*passes out mint julips*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope

yay! after today the craziness dies down some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad furday

*has seen the derby*

*Spolier*

Too bad about Eight Belles...she was a pretty horse. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ender

Yeah, that was tragic. My dad used to be a horse trainer, and he's said for a long time that horses should not be raced before they're 5, to let them develop. But, it's a money-making business, so that's never gonna happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope

that was so sad. poor girl ran her heart out. :cry: hopefully with what happened to Eight Belles and Barbaro, racing officials will take a closer look at their sport, but from what i've been reading, no one's really sure how Eight Belles got hurt. with both front ankles broken, i doubt there would have been anything they could have done to save her. they tried with Barbaro and ended up having to put him down anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vergere

Barbaro was an extraordinary case... Eight Belles is the more typical response for an injured horse - especially a racehorse. And only the really great racehorses are usually lucky enough to live out their lives - most of the others go to the slaughterhouse when their racing days are over. It's horrible. I wish there was better stuff to do for them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope

the only reason, IMO, that they even tried to save Barbaro was because he won the Derby. horses are so fragile and often they get raced too young before their skeletons have a chance to fully develop. you see many similar problems with human atheletes, but we heal much better than the horses do. hopefully this will lead to some changes, but i kinda doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vergere

Yeah. I'd say Barbaro was lucky, but poor thing was probably miserable the whole time.

As for athletes, I can completely attest to that. My skeletal system has been damaged and changed and rearranged from sports to the point that it hurts to walk, and I'm only 22. My knees give out on me, my back locks up and is always in pain, &c &c &c. I still play sports, but then I'm wearing ACE wraps on every freakin' joint and downing the meds to not curl up in a ball and die from pain. :p

I wish that racers gave more attention to their horses though. It does no one any good to do that to a young horse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope

i danced through most of my childhood, so i definitely understand sports injuries. i swear i have arthritis in my left knee and my back has been screwed up royally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

Yeah... It was really bittersweet. And she had gotten second and everything.

I'm just pissed at the SPCA for wanting to suspend her jockey. I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure 99.9% of jockeys would slow their horse at the first sign of anything wrong.

The interesting part is that Eight Belles is supposed related to Barbaro in some way. Maybe it's genetic... 'specially since there can be some inbreeding with thoroughbreds, just to get more speed. But it can also bring faults.

You'd think in modern times horses would do a lot better. I mean, some of the Derby horses have only about 5 starts before they go in it. Back decades ago, horses raced a lot more often.

I think the only reason they tried with Barbaro in the beginning was because it was only one foot, wasn't it?, at the beginning and not of worse as a break. But when he was getting better, he reinjured it too badly to repair.

And Eight Belles broke both front ankles at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope

it's PETA that wants the jockey suspended, and quite frankly, they can just STFU. nobody cares about a thing they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

Really? I heard on the news it was the SPCA. Because he was being "cruel". :roll:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope

there was an article on Fark saying PETA wants the jockey suspended. who knows, SPCA may be in on it too. they're both idiots if they think it was the jockey's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

Yeah. I know.

Hopefully once the investigation is done, the truth will come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

Millen is gone!!

*throws a party*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chickenman

*Slumps into a booth with a tall glass of Whyren's Reserve* :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

Whoa, that's crazy. And to think that the Russian hockey league thinks it's going to be rivaling the NHL in the next couple years. Gimme a break. They don't even have f-in defibrilators at the rink. Welcome to the 21st century morons!

Too bad such a young talent had to go because of negligence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess

Yeah, think of all the rules the NHL has about safety. Every rink has to have a defibrillator AND paramedics have to be at ice level during the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

You would think everyone would learn by what happens around the NHL. I mean, look at what happened to Zednik last year. Thanks to quick reaction by everyone involved, he's out again this year playing the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chickenman

Holy crap, I'm convinced Jesus bats cleanup for the Red Sox.

Facing elimination, and down 7-0 in the bottom of the 7th, they rallied to score 8 runs in a row, the biggest postseason comeback since 1929. I love these games. Holy s*** that was close. Better than what I imagine sex is like. :p

*Sets off fireworks*

:alcho:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.