Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Writing Help and Discussion

Mara

Well.. I thought since this place was getting a revival of sorts... and that more people are writing and posting stories....

We could have a thread here to discuss various things that have to do with writing.

In addition to mechanical things like grammar (I'm leaving up to you all to do your own spelling checks :p), we could discuss various techniques or maybe get help on trying out new things, etc. Or perhaps you are having trouble explaining something or finding a good transition and you need help on a little area of your story (before you post the full version later). Or maybe you're just really stuck in that awful thing known as writer's block, either in the middle of something or even when you've barely started.

I'm sure all of us here would be glad to help you out on whatever you need, whether tips to keep writing, to write well or to get over that evil writer's block or whatever else is on your mind.

Everyone has their own style, and I'm sure we could all learn from each other...

So.. let's.. talk and discuss.

Mara

I've hit a major road block on my fanfic... Like, I know where it's supposed to end up (I have an outline and everything), but it just seems getting to that point, filling in the blanks is the hard part.

Usually what I do when I hit brain freeze on a story is to start a new one or to just wait a few days and go back. But neither of those seem to be working.

Just not feeling creative, I guess.

What do you the rest of you do when you hit writer's block?

Radioactive Isotope

personally, i cry, lol. actually, i try talking to friends about it, but i've got a fic i've been stuck on for months and nothing seems to be helping. :(

Rogue

I try to brainstorm. One of the best ways of doing this I found recently is by going through my '100 themes challenge' list I have saved on my DA. I'll keep the characters in mind, and go down the list and try to think about how each theme would represent itself in the character's lives. Actaully Grayscale came from that list. I had the idea when I saw the prompt "Shades of Gray."

I can post the full list up here if you want.

Radioactive Isotope

that would be cool :)

Rogue

This is called the 100 themes challenge, where you take 100 themes and wrap artwork or writing around the concepts. To beat the challenge you have to have a piece for each theme...but it's great for brainstorming too!

1. Introduction

2. Love

3. Light

4. Dark

5. Seeking Solace

6. Break Away

7. Heaven

8. Innocence

9. Drive

10. Breathe Again

11. Memory

12. Insanity

13. Misfortune

14. Smile

15. Silence

16. Questioning

17. Blood

18. Rainbow

19. Gray

20. Fortitude

21. Vacation

22. Mother Nature

23. Cat

24. No Time

25. Trouble Lurking

26. Tears

27. Foreign

28. Sorrow

29. Happiness

30. Under the Rain

31. Flowers

32. Night

33. Expectations

34. Stars

35. Hold My Hand

36. Precious Treasure

37. Eyes

38. Abandoned

39. Dreams

40. Rated

41. Teamwork

42. Standing Still

43. Dying

44. Two Roads

45. Illusion

46. Family

47. Creation

48. Childhood

49. Stripes

50. Breaking the Rules

51. Sport

52. Deep in Thought

53. Keeping a Secret

54. Tower

55. Waiting

56. Danger Ahead

57. Sacrifice

58. Kick in the Head

59. No Way Out

60. Rejection

61. Fairy Tale

62. Magic

63. Do Not Disturb

64. Multitasking

65. Horror

66. Traps

67. Playing the Melody

68. Hero

69. Annoyance

70. 67%

71. Obsession

72. Mischief Managed

73. I Can't

74. Are You Challenging Me?

75. Mirror

76. Broken Pieces

77. Test

78. Drink

79. Starvation

80. Words

81. Pen and Paper

82. Can You Hear Me?

83. Heal

84. Out Cold

85. Spiral

86. Seeing Red

87. Food

88. Pain

89. Through the Fire

90. Triangle

91. Drowning

92. All That I Have

93. Give Up

94. Last Hope

95. Advertisement

96. In the Storm

97. Safety First

98. Puzzle

99. Solitude

100. Relaxation

Edited by Rogue

Mara

personally, i cry, lol. actually, i try talking to friends about it, but i've got a fic i've been stuck on for months and nothing seems to be helping. :(

Yeah... I wrote like two pages on my part two.. and I just can't seem to make it go anywhere.

Maybe part of the problem is knowing how it's gonna end. Silly outline. :p

I might try that out sometime, Rogue. I'll have to copy it and e-mail it to myself to use at home.

Mara

Whatever happened... I just felt the urge to write again today and I added almost a whole page!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.