Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Princess

Shatterpoint [SPOILERS]

Princess

I haven't got it yet, but for those of you who have, discuss.

[Edit: Tut-tut, Princess... Where was your spoiler warning ;) ~beeurd]

chozen

Spolier...

Samurai X

I usually dont read PT books, such as Shadow Hunter or Rogue planet and such, but I took a chance and read Shatterpoint and was amazed. Shatterpoint is a really good book.

Since there are spoilers I'll say some...

I think Mace windus ability to see the shattering point on every thing/situation is really cool. I know the people at SWMB Force Philosophy are having a fun time discussing, what exactly is the darkness in the jungle? and if the Korun are the good guys even though they slaughter innocents.

My Favorite character was Nick, just cause he was witty...but still loyal.

Also, I enjoyed the journal system and how Mr Stover writes...

If I had any power to rank this book, I would give it either 4 or 4.5/5 due to some slowness in the beginning(sp) and in some jungle scenes.

But this is all IMHO...

Ender

Shatterpoint was AWESOME. I have never read such an intense SW story since Traitor... Matthew Stover is an incredible author.

Ender

It was really freaky what happened to Depa...

Andy

Freaky? :o

*rushes out to buy book*

chozen

[spoiler:2fd7e4ea41]I like this spoiler code[/spoiler:2fd7e4ea41]!

Ender

Yes, buy the book NOW. Forget Harry Potter. Shatterpoint kicks its little magical ass.

Princess

Beeurd:Meh. I almost forgot the book to put the book in here:p I am the only person keeping this forum updated

Anyways: Wow, I just finished Shatterpoint. Matthew Stover is an awesome author and needs to write more SW.

Possible Spoiler

[spoiler:0564123f62] What really surprised me was the line about Mace dreaming and seeing Coruscant as a jungle, like what happened in the NJO. I wonder if Jungle Darkness will have anything to do with the endof the NJO.[/spoiler:0564123f62]

End Spoiler

Good book. Must read

Andy

I ordered it yesterday, and it's on it's way :D

Andy

Started reading...

Does Matthew Stover know us?

eg: "What happened to me is much worse. I've gone sane"

Either that or he IS one of us, or he has read Jedi Punks, lol.

'tis a v. good book so far!

Princess

I was wondering something along those lines too Beeurd

Andy

heehee

Ender

That does make you wonder...

Andy

Okay... Mace Windu fighting naked is the LAST thing I ever expected to see...

Ender

:lol:

Radioactive Isotope

i will refrain from comment on that one since GI is watching me like a hawk...

anyhow, i am ashamed to say i have not finished the book and i've had it for months. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS TAKING ME SO BLOODY LONG! anyhow, what i have read is amazing. my friend threatened to take away my copy of TR (bad bad) cuz i read it so much, and i have a sneaky suspicion that SP will turn out the same way.

Princess

Shatterpoint took me a while to read too.

Eldar Galadhon

Sounds like a good book. I'll have to read my dusty copy.

Princess

Very good. Stover is an awesome author and gives more philosphy then most other authors do

Eldar Galadhon

Sounds great. Just gotta finish the NJO Series first.

Tsl

Just finished Shatterpoint yesterday, and it was quite good. Stover's writing style is a sort of refreshing break from the usual almost substandard offerings of other SW writers. His novels are good enough that they would be good even if they weren't SW, if that makes sense. In fact, I thought Shatterpoint was even better than Traitor.

Now I'm ready to read Medstar....yay!

Princess

TSL, I agree, Stover's writing style is awesome because he can combine philosophy and great battles. If you want more of his style I highly reccommend Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle. Both are good philosophical books but have some awesome battles, but they're very graphic and crude in some places

GreenEagle2005

yeah i liked Stover.....i am however having trouble findong other of his books....but Shatterpoint is awesome....

hmm...maybe i should reread it

TheUnknown

I finished it today. It was a damn good book.

• It did drag for the first 115 or so pages.
  • I really liked the character of Nick Rostu. He made me laugh.
  • I liked how Stover as the limited third-person narrator would describe the violence and then Mace in his journal would try to make sense of everything.
  • I liked how Stover would do more than just present the battles. He would describe the consequences, too: the wounds, the guilt of victors, the grief of those who have lost loved ones, the mental toll on the combatants.
  • I liked the writing of the journal entries. I thought it was very well-done, very intelligent, and as close to poetry as prose can get.
  • I liked the basic story of Mace Windu: his crisis of faith in himself and what he thought was true, his love for Depa Billaba, his flawed brilliancy. His character is so much better here than in the movies. Although, it was a little difficult to imagine Samuel L. Jackson saying those things and thinking that way, but that was more of a testement to his lack of character in the movies.
  • I liked how, as with Traitor, Stover would liberally sprinkle in some very thought-provoking lines, like "Is the lesson what the teacher teaches or what the student learns?" (something like that, I have it written down)
  • I liked how Stover gave the troopers a bit of time instead of making them into mindless cannon fodder. It makes me want to read Hard Contact: Republic Commando.
  • I liked how Stover portrayed the underlying conflict: a senseless circuit in which no one knows what really started it. I wonder if he was alluding to modern-day conflicts...

Edited by TheUnknown

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.