Princess 35 Posted February 10, 2010 How about the foreign players too? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 11, 2010 Maybe I'm about to misspeak here, but I'm pretty sure Mara didn't mean the NHL should exclude players from any country. It's because of the fact so many players come from outside of North America the NHL is showcasing it's teams across the pond. It means 40 home games that season instead of 41, which kinda sucks, but it's not like the NHL is going to stop doing this. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Uncle Du 22 Posted February 11, 2010 I think it's good that they're playing games outside the US. It's good for the league. The National Football League is playing games outside the States, I think that might be why the NHL is doing it, but it does create more of an interest. And with more interest, that means the possibility for better TV contracts, which means not paying as much to watch games in the future. And can we really sit here and complain about one fewer home game? Who here has season tickets for their team? I think getting the league outside the States is good. I know I'm partial to this because my brother-in-law is Australian, and he fell in LOVE with the game. And knowing him, I know there are other people out there that would fall in love with it too if they got to watch it. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted February 11, 2010 Maybe I'm about to misspeak here, but I'm pretty sure Mara didn't mean the NHL should exclude players from any country. It's because of the fact so many players come from outside of North America the NHL is showcasing it's teams across the pond. It means 40 home games that season instead of 41, which kinda sucks, but it's not like the NHL is going to stop doing this. Yeah, I didn't mean that. I mean, if these players were so important to their native countries and fans to watch them, they should have tried harder to keep them there. But now they're in the NHL. Not any European league. They left for a reason. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 12, 2010 The reason being the NHL is the best league in the world. However, the formation of the KHL was the Russian way to keep it's players home. That's were Jagr and Sergi Federov went to play, and they got HUGE money to do so, so let's not put to much pressure on these other countries to try to keep their players. ;) Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 12, 2010 If I didn't have the debt that I do I'd for sure have season tickets. I'm sure anybody would say that, but I really would have season tickets. Hell I'm still thinking about picking up the rest of the season of the Center Ice package. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 12, 2010 Federov's career in the NHL was done when he left Detroit. Thorton's being a goon tonight. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 12, 2010 Here's the pictures from the charity hockey game I was at Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 12, 2010 Mara your Canes made yet another trade. Matt Cullen to the Sens for some blueliner I've never heard of. Pretty bad sign for your favorite hockey team. :( Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted February 12, 2010 (edited) Hope the Sens treat you well, Matt Cullen. Thanks for (almost) nine awesome years. EDIT. Haha, deja vu. Anyway, yeah. I hope this Picard guy was worth it. Though, there is the possibility, as with Wallin, that we can get Cullen back July 1st. Edited February 12, 2010 by Mara Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ayingel 24 Posted February 13, 2010 of COURSE picard is worth it. he's the captain of the enterprise! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 13, 2010 Winter olympics start with a death So sad. No one should get to their Olympic dream and die. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 14, 2010 Wow, there's only 7 points between 7th and 13th places in the West Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 14, 2010 In Women's Olympic hockey Canada beat Slovenia last night 18-0 and today USA beat China 12-1 during preliminaries. It's also interesting that since they're playing in the Canucks Arena (Air Canada Center, right?) that hockey is being played on an NHL sized rink instead of an Olympic rink. The Olympic rink is 20 feet wider than a NHL Rink. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted February 15, 2010 (edited) Been enjoying the Olympics so far myself. Awesome for us to get our first ever medal in Nordic combined. Pretty sweet. Though, it sucks that hockey is on at 3pm EST... Maybe I'll record tomorrow's game. PS: My 'Canes won on Sat. for a 5-game win streak going into the break. :D Edited February 15, 2010 by Mara Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Uncle Du 22 Posted February 16, 2010 of COURSE picard is worth it. he's the captain of the enterprise! Actually, Picard isn't a bad d man. In Women's Olympic hockey Canada beat Slovenia last night 18-0 and today USA beat China 12-1 during preliminaries. It's also interesting that since they're playing in the Canucks Arena (Air Canada Center, right?) that hockey is being played on an NHL sized rink instead of an Olympic rink. The Olympic rink is 20 feet wider than a NHL Rink. They're playing on an international sized rink, they just expanded the playing surface. Almost every rink can be expanded to accomodate international rules. There's no way the IOC would let them play on an NHL sized rink. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 16, 2010 I'm just reporting what I heard during the game the other night Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted February 16, 2010 Because announcers are always right. Watched some curling action this afternoon before going to work. Couldn't pull off a win against Germany, but it's only the first game in first round action. Sad to be missing the hockey game. Though, it seems the U.S. is doing all right against the Swiss. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Uncle Du 22 Posted February 16, 2010 Well, that's definitely NHL ice, what the hell?! I swear the women were playing in a bigger rink. But YEA, U-S-A, U-S-A!!!! We kinda looked flat out there though, we need to play better. Canada tonight at 8 Eastern. God I love watchin' Olympic hockey. No stupid penalties, no stupid trapezoid behind the net, great physical play. Awesome. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 16, 2010 I can't speak for the womens games, but the mens games are being played at the Canucks home arena. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 17, 2010 Well, that's definitely NHL ice, what the hell?! I swear the women were playing in a bigger rink. But YEA, U-S-A, U-S-A!!!! We kinda looked flat out there though, we need to play better. Canada tonight at 8 Eastern. God I love watchin' Olympic hockey. No stupid penalties, no stupid trapezoid behind the net, great physical play. Awesome. I agree. None of Bettman's stupidity. Plus automatic icing so there's no risk of injury Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Uncle Du 22 Posted February 17, 2010 Well, I bite my tongue. They are playing on small ice. What the hell man, that's bullsith!! I love watchin' hockey on those big rinks. Passing has to be so much better. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 17, 2010 You can come visit me. The local ice arena has an Olympic sized rink. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
James the Defender 7 Posted February 17, 2010 You posted at 11:38 :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites