Master Hayes 1 Posted February 1, 2010 Unlike the rest of my fellow NHL fans, I'm sick of NBC showing the same 3 or 4 teams because it doesn't showcase the league. NBC is going to select the teams, and/or games that draw the most ratings. Of course this involes Eastern Conference teams, with their bigger markets and what not. Then when NBC does show a Western Conference team it's the Wings,(oh goodie ) and why you ask? Because they are in the Easern time zone so it fits in NBC's TV time slot. The NHL on NBC is never going to be like the NFL with regional games because NBC is to afraid they'll lose money. But I say the least they could do is spread the air time. There's 26 other teams to cover, and the damn games don't have to start at noon. Go out to the West coast, show some games with teams from Canada, anything to show that there's more than the Pens, Rangers, Flyers, or Wings. So write your letters, but make sure you have 2 copies. One for bettman, and the other for NBC sports. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Uncle Du 22 Posted February 1, 2010 I'm with you buddy. But look at how stupid nbc is with the way they handle everything they do. All this crap with leno and conan, it really makes you wonder how the people "running" that network got the damn job. I know it's all about the money, but I sure as hell would like to see some other teams play and NOT have to pay for the Center Ice package. And the thing about it is, the competition is so much stiffer in the West than the East. If you look at 5th through 8th place in the East, NONE of those teams are over 60 points this season, whereas EVERYONE in playoff position in the West now have over 60 points. Which means that it's more tight, and there's not just three or four teams tearing everything up. That always seems to be the way it is though. Western Conf. teams are more evenly matched, and BETTER, and there's the few East teams that have big budgets, and maintain that. Look at what happened to Tampa and Carolina. Each won a Cup in the last decade, and where are they now? Isn't obvious that the league has been designed (or rather, redesigned in the last decade and a half), for teams that HAVE the market and can MAINTAIN it? Obvious to me. God I love talking hockey. :D Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 1, 2010 Also, if you look at the standings, 5-9th place in the West are separated only by 7 points. The West has always been the more "Powerful" conference (for lack of a better word). The West has strong teams and have teams that have a deep hockey heritage (aside from Phoenix, but let's not open up that can of worms). Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
James the Defender 7 Posted February 1, 2010 NFC lost...NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But on the bright side...Aaron Rodgers threw for 197 yds. and 2 TDs Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted February 1, 2010 Man, good thing Nicklas Kronwall was wearing a half shield because he took a skate blade across it. I was just telling someone the other day that injuries from sharp skates don't happen very often. Like a couple months ago when Cam Ward got a slice through his leg? Unlike the rest of my fellow NHL fans, I'm sick of NBC showing the same 3 or 4 teams because it doesn't showcase the league. NBC is going to select the teams, and/or games that draw the most ratings. Of course this involes Eastern Conference teams, with their bigger markets and what not. Then when NBC does show a Western Conference team it's the Wings,(oh goodie ) and why you ask? Because they are in the Easern time zone so it fits in NBC's TV time slot. The NHL on NBC is never going to be like the NFL with regional games because NBC is to afraid they'll lose money. But I say the least they could do is spread the air time. There's 26 other teams to cover, and the damn games don't have to start at noon. Go out to the West coast, show some games with teams from Canada, anything to show that there's more than the Pens, Rangers, Flyers, or Wings. So write your letters, but make sure you have 2 copies. One for bettman, and the other for NBC sports. Heck, yeah. I mean, last week, it was supposed to be either Pens/Flyers or my 'Canes. Guess who NBC actually picked? Versus hasn't even show a 'Canes game this season, either. It's pathetic. Who gives a crap if they're not "good"? Look at what happened to Tampa and Carolina. Each won a Cup in the last decade, and where are they now? Isn't obvious that the league has been designed (or rather, redesigned in the last decade and a half), for teams that HAVE the market and can MAINTAIN it? Obvious to me. God I love talking hockey. But... we beat Chicago on Saturday. :D Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 1, 2010 There is maybe one or two skate injuries a season Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 1, 2010 Mara at least Versus attempts to give each team a shot on a "National" stage. I know just from my own experience here in MN that the Wild would get 1 or 2 games a season max, and this year they have 5-7 games. Sure they pick popular teams, and give winning teams more air time, but unfortunately every league is like that. What's lame with Vs. is they only air hockey 2 nights a week, and won't start doing double-headers until after the Olympics. Although even if they did 2 games a night all week I still can't watch.......stupid Comcast.... :mad: Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 1, 2010 I dislike the commentators on VS anyways. I wish ESPN would get the contract again Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 1, 2010 NFC lost...NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But on the bright side...Aaron Rodgers threw for 197 yds. and 2 TDs I think you're the only person that actually cared about the Pro Bowl. The fact that you're pimping Rodgers stats is just plain silly, it's basicly a televised practice. YOU could've had those numbers with how little the players care about playing that game. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 1, 2010 I dislike the commentators on VS anyways. I wish ESPN would get the contract again Now your talking lady!! Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, John Saunders, "The Mullet" Barry Melrose. Those were the days. I must say though, every once and a while Mike "Doc" Emrick does games on VS. and he's a play-by-play god as far as I'm concerned. I love that guys style. It doesn't matter what teams are playing either, he's that good, IMHO. It's the one good thing NBC has going for them. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Uncle Du 22 Posted February 1, 2010 Why can't you watch on Comcast? That's who I have, I get VS. And for the record, I can't stand Clement. It's prolly cause I've been playin NHL on consoles for years, and he has become nothing more than an annoyance. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
James the Defender 7 Posted February 2, 2010 NFC lost...NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But on the bright side...Aaron Rodgers threw for 197 yds. and 2 TDs I think you're the only person that actually cared about the Pro Bowl. The fact that you're pimping Rodgers stats is just plain silly, it's basicly a televised practice. YOU could've had those numbers with how little the players care about playing that game. Obviously, then you say Romo, McNabb, and Vince Young were playing at midget football level. If I could have Rodgers' stats, thank you for the confidence that I am, in fact, better than those aforementioned QB's. I thank you for that compliment, sir. McNabb, Romo, and Young each threw a pick. I think the Pro Bowl should be played all out. It would make it a better game. As it stands, I still enjoy watching it. It's like Fantasy Football in action. If I can have Aaron Rodgers with AP in the backfield and Vernon Davis at TE and DeSean Jackson split out wide every game...that would be fantastic. And, quite obviously, 70,000+ people in Miami cared as well. To be honest, after Rodgers was pulled, I stopped watching. I cared about him playing. The Pro Bowl may die, and only we can save it. If only it was earlier in the day yesterday, I'd have watched the whole thing, but I had to be at work at 6 am today. Honestly, some people claim to be football fans and it disgusts me how some treat games like the Pro Bowl and pre-season games, and I'm not specifically talking about you, Master Hayes, so don't get upset as it is not my intention to do so. Call me crazy, but I'm a Packers fan and a football fan year 'round. I don't stop being such just because my team isn't in playing anymore or just because it's not football season. I love football. I'm having a Super Bowl party and it's not because I like the Saints or the Colts; it's because I'm a football fan and this game should be awesome. We may be looking down the barrel of not having a football season in 2011. I wish I could do more to halt that from happening, but I can't. I love football. Even when my beloved Phillies are playing in the summer, I still can't wait to watch my Packers play, for better or for worse. And the Phillies are a better team in their sport than the Packers! I love football. *whew* Rant done... :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Uncle Du 22 Posted February 2, 2010 My take on the Pro Bowl, and things of that nature is this: how can a game like that really be taken seriously when the players don't even take it seriously? It's the same in any sport though. Why risk going all out when you could get injured? I think what the NFL needs to do is have a skills competition. That's what I watch for the NHL. The All-Star game itself is boring and played out in my eyes. And I love watchin' pre-season, but it sucks knowing that the coaches and teams don't really give a sith about the fans wanting to watch football, they want to gauge their team and finalize line-ups before the season actually starts. It's kinda like a team that knows it's going to be in the playoffs and sits its starters. I can understand why they do it, but what about all the people that paid a boat load of money to see their team play? Teams and management need to take things more seriously if they want the fans to. Fans are starting to realize how much money they're getting taken for. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
James the Defender 7 Posted February 2, 2010 My take on the Pro Bowl, and things of that nature is this: how can a game like that really be taken seriously when the players don't even take it seriously? It's the same in any sport though. Why risk going all out when you could get injured? I think what the NFL needs to do is have a skills competition. That's what I watch for the NHL. The All-Star game itself is boring and played out in my eyes. I like the skills competition idea. That's a cool idea. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted February 2, 2010 Mara at least Versus attempts to give each team a shot on a "National" stage. I know just from my own experience here in MN that the Wild would get 1 or 2 games a season max, and this year they have 5-7 games. Sure they pick popular teams, and give winning teams more air time, but unfortunately every league is like that. What's lame with Vs. is they only air hockey 2 nights a week, and won't start doing double-headers until after the Olympics. Although even if they did 2 games a night all week I still can't watch.......stupid Comcast.... Really? When we had Comcast, we had Versus... Maybe you have a different plan. I dislike the commentators on VS anyways. I wish ESPN would get the contract again Now your talking lady!! Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, John Saunders, "The Mullet" Barry Melrose. Those were the days. I must say though, every once and a while Mike "Doc" Emrick does games on VS. and he's a play-by-play god as far as I'm concerned. I love that guys style. It doesn't matter what teams are playing either, he's that good, IMHO. It's the one good thing NBC has going for them. I don't mind the Versus announcers, really. And, yeah, Doc is awesome. Okay, how the heck can the 'Canes beat Chicago, and then LOSE to Edmonton? Argh! And trade season is making me scared. If they trade away Ray, I will be sooo pissed. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 3, 2010 (edited) NFC lost...NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But on the bright side...Aaron Rodgers threw for 197 yds. and 2 TDs I think you're the only person that actually cared about the Pro Bowl. The fact that you're pimping Rodgers stats is just plain silly, it's basicly a televised practice. YOU could've had those numbers with how little the players care about playing that game. Obviously, then you say Romo, McNabb, and Vince Young were playing at midget football level. If I could have Rodgers' stats, thank you for the confidence that I am, in fact, better than those aforementioned QB's. I thank you for that compliment, sir. McNabb, Romo, and Young each threw a pick. I think the Pro Bowl should be played all out. It would make it a better game. As it stands, I still enjoy watching it. It's like Fantasy Football in action. If I can have Aaron Rodgers with AP in the backfield and Vernon Davis at TE and DeSean Jackson split out wide every game...that would be fantastic. And, quite obviously, 70,000+ people in Miami cared as well. To be honest, after Rodgers was pulled, I stopped watching. I cared about him playing. The Pro Bowl may die, and only we can save it. If only it was earlier in the day yesterday, I'd have watched the whole thing, but I had to be at work at 6 am today. Honestly, some people claim to be football fans and it disgusts me how some treat games like the Pro Bowl and pre-season games, and I'm not specifically talking about you, Master Hayes, so don't get upset as it is not my intention to do so. Call me crazy, but I'm a Packers fan and a football fan year 'round. I don't stop being such just because my team isn't in playing anymore or just because it's not football season. I love football. I'm having a Super Bowl party and it's not because I like the Saints or the Colts; it's because I'm a football fan and this game should be awesome. We may be looking down the barrel of not having a football season in 2011. I wish I could do more to halt that from happening, but I can't. I love football. Even when my beloved Phillies are playing in the summer, I still can't wait to watch my Packers play, for better or for worse. And the Phillies are a better team in their sport than the Packers! I love football. *whew* Rant done... Ok. so I was more or less taking a dig at how your SUCH a Packers fan, but it's hard to get jokes across in a forum. I still stand by my coments about the players involved in the Pro Bowl, and yeah I had every confedence in your ability to play in the Pro Bowl, not an ACTUAL NFL game. No offense to you sir. I love football to, and I try to watch as many games as I can, just not the Pro Bowl. Edited February 3, 2010 by Master Hayes Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Master Hayes 1 Posted February 3, 2010 To set the record straight regarding my bitching about Comcast, I am a DirectTV subscriber. Comcast owns the Versus network and raised the cost of the Versus network to DirectTV. DirectTV didn't want to pass that cost on to customers so they refused to pay Comcast and haven't shown any programing on Versus. I've been told this dispute is nearing an end, but DirectTV doesn't know when they will be broadcasting the Versus network yet. I choose DirectTV when I moved into my house because it was cheaper, not to mention I get a discount through Qwest too. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
James the Defender 7 Posted February 3, 2010 I'm waiting for Comcast to stop its monopoly on Philly sports, the Phillies in particular. As you said, it shall be ending soon. As soon as DirecTV starts carrying CN8 and CSN, or starts airing all the Phillies games, I shall be switching...until then, I am under the thumb of Comcast... Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted February 3, 2010 Comcast is the devil. This is why we now have AT&T. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted February 3, 2010 Wings beat the sharks last night and kronwell actually lost a skate blade in the first. He didn't know it and fell twice before he had to wait for a whistle and be helped off the ice Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
James the Defender 7 Posted February 3, 2010 Mmm....Wings.... *drool* Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted February 4, 2010 Tim Gleason of the 'Canes was added to USA's Olympic team. :D Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
James the Defender 7 Posted February 4, 2010 NFL prediction time! Join in all! AFC East: New England Patriots (12-4) AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers (14-2) AFC South: Tennessee Titans (11-5) AFC West: San Diego Chargers (10-6) AFC Wildcards: Baltimore Ravens (11-5), Indianapolis Colts (10-6) NFC East: New York Giants (11-5) NFC North: Green Bay Packers (13-3) NFC South: New Orleans Saints (12-4) NFC West: Arizona Cardinals (10-6) NFC Wildcards: Minnesota Vikings (11-5), Carolina Panthers (11-5) AFC Championship game: Steelers def. Patriots NFC Championship game: Packers def. Saints Super Bowl XLIV: Packers def. Steelers (Final Score 24-21. Game ends on a Mason Crosby FG) Super Bowl MVP: Greg Jennings NFL MVP: Troy Polamalu (Pitt) Coach of the Year: Sean Payton (NO) Top Rookie: Mark Sanchez I was right about the Saints going to the NFC championship game...some people in work told me I was crazy...They're in the SB, now. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ender 8 Posted February 5, 2010 All right, so I'm going to my first hockey game on Saturday, Islanders v. Hurricanes. I think I'm very close to officially declaring the Islanders my team. I know they suck, but I don't care. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Bad furday 57 Posted February 5, 2010 *shifty eyes* I like the girls the Islanders have holding their flags out on the ice :shifty: Share this post Link to post Share on other sites