Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Mara

Obi-Wan: the movie??

Mara

So I think we all know that Ewan McGregor has gone on the record a few times that he would love to play Obi-Wan again.

After all, the third anthology film subject is still a mystery.

However, there has been no word from Disney on whether they agree.

And recently, there has been a rumor floating around as to just why:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/rumor-the-reason-why-obi-wan-hasnt-had-his-own-star-wars-spinoff-yet-172

It is rumor, so take it with what you will. But it begs an interesting discussion...

Andy

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually did an Obi-Wan movie, he's an immensely popular character and they have an actor ready and willing to reprise the role.

I guess it all comes down to whether or not they can come up with a decent story.

Mara

True enough.

I would love to see Ewan as Obi-Wan again.  And even though he'd be stuck on Tatooine (assumably) I think there are plenty of adventures to be had.  Like in the old legends/EU Obi-Wan novel or in the new Marvel Star Wars comic as well, there was a scene of him helping out Luke as a boy.

Mara

It's a go! :D

Per the Hollywood Report via Joblo.com

The long-rumored Obi-Wan movie is officially in development at Disney. Though this early, there is no script, and consequently, no cast.

But I think they would be stupid not to get Ewan back. Unless for some reason he's not a fit (like if they go pre-prequel Obi-Wan when he's still a young padawan). I for one would prefer something between III and IV.

What do you guys think?  What storyline/era do you want to see? Which actor?

Andy

Is there actually an official confirmation of it? I can only find things that say "sources say" and the like. 

Mara

Just what the HR is reporting, far as I can tell.

Mara

A fan on Reddit recently made his own Obi-Wan movie poster... Whether the film is confirmed or not, it's pretty awesome to think about it!

Andy

That looks pretty cool actually.

And on a side note I think that's the first Reddit post that has been embedded on GB, didn't know what it would look like. :p

Mara

That's me, Mara the Trendsetter. :p

Mara

So there is another rumor swirling around (supposedly attributed to some kind of source), that the Obi-Wan spinoff, Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story, will take place pre-ANH...  basically in the time period when he's on Tatooine watching over Luke.

But I think we all figured this is what would make the most sense anyway, if this turns out to be confirmed as one of the next spinoff films.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/rumor-obi-wan-spinoff-movie-to-be-a-prequel-to-a-new-hope-202

Andy

I'd like Obi-Wan and Boba Fett to be in the same story, but that might just be me.

Andy

The Obi-Wan TV series has been officially confirmed, with Ewan McGregor returning :D

Mara

So STOKED.

I honestly think a series is better than a movie.

Andy

Yeah, with a series you can take your time to explore things. It's interesting that they've confirmed it's in the same timeframe as Solo. With a sequel to Solo seemingly unlikely, is it possible we might see loose threads (such as Maul's criminal empire) find it's way to the series?

Mara

I read somewhere that it takes place 8 years after ROTS. Which I think would still be a few years before Solo?

I had been thinking that it would be around the same timeframe as the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi flashback entries in the Star Wars comic run. And was wondering if they would have to cast a young Luke (or re-cast Owen and Beru... though I suppose the actors they used for the prequel would have aged properly to be used again). I think one of those stories featured a young Luke. He might have been older than 8 though.

Well, the wookieepedia has the journals comics as 11-10 BBY.  So yeah, he was around 8-9.  If my math serves me lol.

And Solo is listed as 13-11 BBY.  

So never mind then. Just had to think out loud haha.

But anyway... I'm not sure if we would see Maul show up. When he came to Tatooine on Rebels, it seemed like Obi-Wan hadn't seen him since the Mandalorian stuff in Clone Wars.  And that was probably just a year or so before ANH by that time.  So if he did, I doubt he would run into Obi-Wan.

The rest of it, though, why not? lol  They have apparently had this in the works for about four years. So anything is possible with Star Wars. :p

Andy

Well, we don't need to see Maul himself, but it'd be nice if his criminal gang got a mention to tie it all together.

Mara

True enough. Maybe Q'ira cameo. Or something.

Mara

So I read something the other day...   it's just a rumor, so... who knows...    but it said that Jar-Jar will be making an appearance.

Andy

Yeah... Let's hope not. ? 

TheUnknown

Or if they do, do it like they did with The Force Unleashed and have him frozen in carbonite.

Radioactive Isotope

Or killed in a horrible yet satisfying fashion.

Or a flashback type thing. Maybe.

Mara

Yeah... like... I don't necessarily hate Jar-Jar, but... I'm not sure how it would make sense.

Radioactive Isotope

Just let me stare at Ewan McGregor for 8 or however many hours the series ends up being. :jump:

• Upvote 1

Andy

I bet they'll release it weekly again so we can't overdose. :p

Radioactive Isotope

No such thing as overdose in this case, but you're probably right.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.