Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Mara

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Mara

So they've apparently auditioned over 2500 people for the role of young Han.  Some famous names have been attached to this (including Dave Franco, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Miles Teller, and Rami Malek)... but I really hope they go with a relative unknown for the role. Someone with a resemblance to Harrison/Han, but not a body double... who can pull off his sarcastic charm.

And also, I wonder if this will involve the new plot revelation from a recent comic in which Han had seemingly been married in the past before meeting Leia. I suppose it all depends on when it happened and why and how long it lasted and etc.

Edited by Mara

Andy

I'm glad they are auditioning so many people; it's one of those roles that they can't afford to screw up. I imagine we will end up with a relatively unknown actor in the end.

Mara

The field has been narrowed...

Apparently several actors had been called to London to audition for the directors/test for the role, out of the thousands who originally wanted to be in on the action.

But of course, some of those names were leaked! Mainly Alden Ehrenreich, Jack Reynor, and Taron Egerton. Also, reportedly Miles Teller and Dave Franco are still in the running.

Personally, I don't think Franco and Teller are right for the role. Don't know much a bout Ehrenreich or Reynor... but Egerton was in that Kingsman movie. To me, I'm not a fan; he seems to come up super cocky. But I suppose that's a good trait for Han Solo?

Plus, who knows what other names are involved that hadn't been leaked.

Source

Andy

I enjoyed Kingsman, although I'm not sold on Egerton for the role of Han. I agree that the cockiness is probably a bonus when it comes to playing Han Solo though. :p

Mara

Indeed. :p

I'm hoping there are still other actors in the running we just haven't heard about yet. And the leaked list is just a partial one. But who knows.

Mara

Well, according to Deadline, Alden Ehrenreich is now the front-runner.

I don't really know much about him. But I like him better than the other purported options.

I mean, we don't need sometime that LOOKS like Harrison Ford/Han Solo. Just someone who can portray the character well.

(The kid who played young Indy in Last Crusade didn't look at all like Harrison, and that wasn't that big a deal, IMO; though, of course, his age was a bit younger than what  young Han is gonna be,  but whatevs...).

Mara

So there is apparently a rumor going around that says Alden signed up for three films. 

And of course, everyone is coming to the conclusion that this means it's gonna be a Han Solo trilogy.

But I'm not so sure. It could just mean that he might have cameos in other anthology films. (Like Batfleck in Suicide Squad or Spidey in Civil War or whatever). Or that Disney is just hedging their bets in case the first is a success, and want to have him under contract for the future.

I mean, quite honestly, I think the standalone films should be just that. But we'll see, I suppose.

Mara

It's being reported that they are now looking for someone to play a young Lando. YES YES YES.

I hope they get this casting right too.

Andy

I can't think of anybody who could fit the bill, I imagine it'll be harder to cast Lando than Han was.

Mara

I was just thinking the same thing.

Some commenters on the article I read brought up Donald Glover. But I don't think he could cut it.

Andy

I had Google him, I'm not familiar with his films.

Mara

I think he's mostly known for TV, that Community show.

He's also who some people were hoping to play the new Spider-man (before they realized they were staying with Peter and not going with Miles).

But if all the casting works out, this could be a pretty awesome movie. A fun caper with (younger) Han and Chewie and Lando and the Falcon?

Wonder if we'll see Boba Fett... or Jabba...

Mara

Reportedly they have gotten their short list for the female lead in the film.

Based on these ladies, it seems possible the character she is being cast for is Sana, Han's "wife" who was introduced in an earlier issue of the new Marvel Star Wars comic. But it's still a mystery for sure who this woman will be. But suffice to say, I'd bet it for a love interest for  Han, either way. :p

Andy

So, with Donald Glover officially cast in the role of Lando, surely it seems likely that we will see the infamous Sabaac game that sees the Millennium Falcon switch hands? 

Here's hoping!

Mara

Ooh, yes!  Or at least some swashbuckling, scoundrel-ness.

It all depends on what happens with the female lead, if she is Sana... 'cause that could be something too.

Andy

That would definitely be interesting to see also.

Mara

Well, since the female lead went to Emilia Clarke, I guess that nixes the Sana idea, lol.

Andy

Aha, yeah. I'm intrigued though.

Mara

Definitely...

In the EU, younger Han was a bit of a ladies man.  And even in the new canon, I forget which book, it was hinted, I think, that he had a different woman in each port.  So I suppose she could be anyone! Unless there is more to her and she is important to the plot somehow.

But I am more interested in whether they are doing the sabacc game with Lando. :D

Edited by Mara

Andy

Apparently Alden Ehrenreich has signed on for three films... Interesting.

Mara

Huh.

Source? I couldn't seem to find anything mentioning that.

Did find a couple articles, but they were dated months ago... so who knows.

Either way... that would be interesting if true.  Since Rogue One is a one-off/no sequel... and I assumed the other 'story'/anthology films would be the same. Because I cannot think of a reason they need a young Han unless they make sequels/a trilogy with him. Which I am not sure we need.

OR, OR.... they need him for a flashback in Ep 8 or 9??

Edited by Mara

Mara

Most definitely!

But how will he look with the mustache??

Mara

Word is that they're looking at casting Woody Harrelson in a "mentor" role for the movie.

And that they almost went with Christian Bale...

Andy

I heard this too, I'm intrigued as to what their plan is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.