Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Who Is Rey?

Mara

So I thought it might be worth it to put this discussion in its own topic, since it's a pretty heavy one. This is meant as just a place to speculate and discuss theories, but could involve spoilers, so if you haven't seen the film, you should step out now.

Anyway, this is sort of a mash-up of my own theories, as well as the main ones I've heard/seen on the Internet.

And then arguments of why they may or not may work.

Please free free to offer your own theories or expand on the ones below.

#1: She is Luke Skywalker's daughter.

Yes: Well, there is the Force. She is strong with it. There seemed to be some kind of connection with Kylo, which could allude to a familial relationship of some kind. His lightsaber called to her when she was at Maz's castle, and she heard the voices of Yoda and Obi-Wan, who trained Luke. She was left on a desert planet by her family, perhaps to keep her safe from the  New Order?

No: For me, it just seems too obvious? Why doesn't she recognize his name when Han is talking about him? Or even, recognize Han or Leia? Or anyone that Luke would know? Unless Luke put a mind trick/memory eraser/faux memory on her, I don't really see how to reconcile these issues to make her his daughter. Plus, I feel like in all this time, Luke would have found some kind of Jedi teachings, in the midst of establishing his academy. One of which is the no attachments thing, no kids/no marriages, etc. And even if he didn't find those, he should remember what happened to him while with Yoda, when he left to go save Han and Leia on Cloud City. There, his attachments (and lack of training) got the best of him. Yoda even warned him of it. So would he really decide it was a good idea to have a child when he was older, even if he was more mature and trained? (Though on the other hand, why would he agree to train his nephew?)

#2: She is Han and Leia's daughter.

Yes: Again, she is strong with the Force. And so is Leia, even if she chose not to follow that path. Also, the connection with Kylo, seeming to find her familiar. Perhaps his long-lost sister? Hidden from him so she didn't suffer the same fate?

No: Obviously again, the recognition of Han or Leia. If they are her parents, she doesn't seem to realize it. And again, I figure only a trick of the Force could make her forget/give her new memories.

#3: She is merely a student of Luke's who escaped before Kylo and his Knights of Ren took care of the other students.

Yes: Seems a plausible origin to me. And would explain why she isn't familiar with anyone who could have been related to her. Maybe the connection with Kylo is merely because he remembers him from Luke's training sessions all those years ago.

No: I feel like her story is much more important than for her to just be some random Force-sensitive kid, albeit with great potential, who somehow escaped Kylo's wrath. Kylo, and Snoke, both seemed surprised that she was strong with the Force.

#4: She is a descendant/relative of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Yes: She has the Force. She's hidden away.

No: Did Obi-Wan suddenly decide the Jedi Code didn't matter after Order-66 while he was watching over Luke? The whole "no attachment" thing. For him to have a child, and then a granddaughter/Rey?

But yeah... what do you guys think of these theories? Is one more plausible than the others? Do you have other ideas of who Rey might be?

Edited by Mara

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.