Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Du

The Oscars...

Uncle Du

...for always making choices that, in general, do not reflect what the majority of us peon movie-goers opinions. Another slap in the face to all the public that go to movies and have an opinion. You know, cause half a BILLION dollars at the box office for The Dark Knight didn't mean anything. But the paltry 14 million at the box office that the "motion picture of the year" made and the Academy's "experts" know what's up.

Just had to fit a little rant in there, lol.

Any way, front page for the Academy.

And I knew Heath Ledger would take best supporting actor. :D

Drake

Slumdog Millionaire? What's that about?

This is probably the second time I've heard about it.

Andy

It's a British film about an Indian guy who is accused of cheating on the TV show Who Wants to be a Millionaire. So it probably didn't do well at the box office because US audiences don't like films that aren't about Americans. ;)

Anyway, it apparently won a total of 8 Academy Awards, 7 BAFTAs, 4 Golden Globes, as well as a bunch of other awards. Seems almost universally critically acclaimed.

And, while I haven't seen it, I do realise that 'most popular' plus 'most expensive' does not always equal 'best'. If it was called the 'People's Choice Award' then yes; it would be a sacrilege for any film other than The Dark Knight to win. But it wasn't, so there. :p

Edited by Andy

Uncle Du

Yea yea, I just wanted to get someone spun up. ;)

I'm sure it's an alright movie and all, but I never even saw previews for it here, and I don't even know if it was in any theaters around me. I mean, if a movie is really that good, then why the hell didn't I have the opportunity to see it? I might actually like it....if given the chance. :p

Mara

Slumdog looks like an interesting film.

But I agree.. I wish the Academy could give awards for more than stuffy dramas. I mean, a comedy hasn't won best picture in like, 30 years or something.

Uncle Du

Amen.

Mara

I was actually surprised that Downey, Jr. was actually nominated for a comedy. :p

Uncle Du

He's awesome.

Mara

Aye.

I have to say, though, my favorite part every year is the memorial video/slide show... So I'm glad I didn't miss it this year. (Missed the first half of the show).

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.