Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Part I - Dawn of Legends

Vergere

Tanalyn simply slid her cloak's hood over her head more and stood up, moving the stool back to its original position. She idly stood back in the shadows beside the stool, and watched the newcomer, picking up on every detail. She did a mental analysis of the woman without even thinking about it - it was simply habit by this time. She stayed silent, having no desire to draw unwanted attention on her, or disrupt the business matters. Tanalyn's face went from bright, open, and cheery from when she was talking to Axe, to emotionless, grim, and disinterested. She didn't know the woman, but also had no desire to get to know her, either. As she stood there, Tan shifted slightly and wrapped her cloak around her more, so that little more than her chin was visible.

Rogue

Morgan's head turned in the direction of the gruff voice of the blacksmith, her blue eyes sizing him up real quick. There was nothing threatening in the gaze though. She was just trying to gather what she could about him as quickly as possible. The woman in the corner didn't know it, but she was sizing her up as well.

Made up for the woman sizing Morgan up. No matter, she wasn't concerned. Unless she was a fellow treasure hunter they really didn't have a problem. "Actually, I was really hoping you might be the buying type. Otherwise, I'll have to trek a town over."

She walked over to the counter, pulling one of the rolls from her back and laying it down. Unrolling it there were a number of weapons. A dwarven made sword and axe among the larger ones.

Vergere

Tanalyn just leaned back casually against the wall, unthreatening and casual, if silent.

Drake

Axe's facial expression remained rigid and unmoving as he looked from one artifact and weapon to the next. He took his time holding, hefting and thoroughly inspecting each piece. He had seen some of these before or similar weapons. During the early years of the war, one of the battalions he had been stationed with, as a light cavalry scout, ran across an abandoned Dwarf vault and plundered its many treasures. Among them were many weapons like these.

"You got a good back to haul this stuff around," he said. He meant it as a compliment but, with little inflection in his voice, it probably sounded more like a general observation. "Seen this type of stuff before. Sold some before too. I'll give ya fifteen gold pieces for the lot of it."

Rogue

"Fifteen gold?" Morgan asked, crossing her arms casually and shifting her weight. Dismissively she responded, "Come on, it's worth at least twenty to you, and you can sell it for thirty at the bare minimum."

She needed the money. She had most of hers locked up in storehouses elsewhere. She would be staying her at least until tommorrow, and maybe longer. She needed another lead or job before she moved on.

Drake

"Is it now?" Axe asked, a small smirk tugging at one corner of his lips. After a short staring contest, and he couldn't help but notice the subtle shift in the young woman's posture -- he wasn't that old yet -- he said, "Seventeen."

Rogue

"You have yourself a deal." Morgan said, a small grin crossing her features. She had figured he would go down, that's why she had started at twenty. Seventeen was good. And seventeen would hopefully be enough for food and lodgings for the night. She seriously needed to get a nice hunt lined up or she would be stuck doing mercenary or bounty work again. Ugh, how much she hated that.

The shadow in the corner was still watching her like a hawk, so she asked,"Does your friend talk, or is she just there to try to intimidate all of your customers?"

Vergere

Tanalyn just grinned slowly, an almost wolf-like grin, from beneath the hood, but said nothing. However, Axe would know her well enough to know she was probably laughing inside, for as deadly as her smile was.

Rogue

Morgan wasn't easily intimidated, and her amusement was visible. She was the kind of woman who liked to face danger head on, no mercy. One cloaked woman in the corner of a smith wasn't going to rattle her bones.

Drake

"Mostly the latter," said Axe, tossing a genuine smile in Tana's direction. He went to the coin drawer, unlocked it, then withdrew seventeen gold pieces and pushed them across the counter towards the woman. "Here ya go, Miss Treasure Huntress. If you're in town for a spell, head on over to The Drunken Leech. It's a tavern with an inn above it. Rooms are nice while inexpensive. Head on outside then hang a right. Down the street to the end, then a left. At the top of the hill, take the first street right. It'll be right there. Can't miss it."

He raised an eyebrow. "Got all that or you want I should draw you up a treasure map?"

Rogue

Morgan smirked in amusement, tapping one finger against her temple. "Have it all up here, thank you very much." She scooped up the coins, dropping them in a pouch which she then deposited on her person. "Thank you for your time, money, and advice. You'll obviously know where to find me if you need something found." She threw him a wink, setting down his dagger before turning and walking out the door.

The directions made it easy to head straight to the tavern, but she wanted to walk around and explore the town a little first.

Andy

"It's not so bad," Tay said. "Gets me enough to pay my way."

Tay had a small house near one of gates. It wasn't much more than a single-room hut really, but it was dry and noticeably better than the draughty shacks the poor of Midholme lived in, just a few streets across from him.

Mara

It had been a long trek from the rural countryside of outside of Lyrea where she was born, but the young woman had finally made it. The river she had come across a month prior had finally led into a clearing, and she could see a large stone building ahead, surrounded by a village. She had been thankful for her plain appearance in allowing her to travel fairly unmolested. The longsword strapped to her back didn't hurt either.

Avee felt dirty and tired and was hoping to find a good place to rest among the villagers she could see ahead. Being able to sleep on a good straw mattress and having hot bath water instead of pine needles rocks and cold river water would be wonderful.

She paused at the bank of the river to take a drink, pushing her long hair out of the way and kneeling carefully to avoid jabbing herself with the longsword. Right now she was glad for its cool comfort. After leaving the forest's protection, she had felt warmer than the autumn day should usually warrant. But then, perhaps she was used to her homeland where it wasn't quite so warm this time of year.

Gazing out towards the village ahead, she felt some hope at the fact. Maybe she could finally put her sorrows behind her and start a new a life. Albeit a very lonely one. Well, for a while. Standing, she ran a hand over her rounded belly, even more emphasized by her short stature. One last bittersweet reminder from her husband.

Fully rested, Avee Corlane headed onward towards the village outside the castle's stone walls, willing her tired legs to carry her just a bit longer.

Right away she could tell that this place was a lot more populated than her own village; vlilagers were bustling about everywhere and she was surprised at how loud it all was. Animals calling, people shouting, children crying. With a pang, she remembered her own family. Shoving the thoughts from her mind, she moved on. All she needed was a friendly face, someone who might be able to put her up for just one night...

Vergere

Tana looked back at Axe. "Were they worth what you paid for them?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

Beka nodded, "Yeah, sometimes that's all you can ask for, isn't it."

Drake

"I gave her a fair price for them," Axe said. "But she was right. I'm gonna jack up the prices and sell them for double the cost."

He locked up the cash drawer and walked over to the forge. He opened it with the pole and hook then peered inside. The contents of the crucible were red-hot so he took another long pole, this one with a thick spike, bent a little at the end, and stuck it into the crucible. Axe stirred the melting metal a bit before tapping the stirring spike on the side of the container, to shake off what molten metal he could, and pulling it back out. He closed the forge.

"Soup's almost done."

Vergere

"Lovely. You always make such good weaponry." Tanalyn smiles, "It's as if you were born to create these things."

Drake

Axe grunted. "I was born to fly. This is just a job to keep me from going mad. I just happen to have gotten good at it over the years."

He glanced over at the one-handed axe hung from the wall above the door to the back room. It had a longer-than-normal handle with a dragon's head adorning the pommel. The head of the axe was double-sided with the interior made of blackened metal and the outer blade, silver. It was the traditional weapon of the Dragon Rider.

Axe missed those days, when he was back in the war. He often wondered what had become of his old squadron-mates, those under his command who he had befriended and grown to trust. Many of those had died in one battle or another but he still knew some who made it through to the end. Some days, Axe thought of sending a message to Everholde to ask a seeker to look up some names for him. However, he never seemed to get around to doing it.

Vergere

Tanalyn smiled softly, "You'll fly again. You will. Just wait, you'll see. The time will come again when you can roam the skies."

Mara

Suddenly the scattering of the village seemed a lot farther to Avee than it had just a few moments ago. She paused in her tracks, dropping her pack, and glanced around herself. There was what looked to be a farmhouse nearby. Well, closer than the village the castle, at least.

She shouldered her pack again and headed towards the house. If anything, the residents could at least tell her where she was or where she could find a place to stay up in the village.

Coming closer to the residence, she noticed some livestock and a large barn as well as the main house, where a young man was working out in the yard. Avee kept all her hope to herself; she knew most people wouldn't want to put up with the likes of her, a stranger and a woman to boot.

Avee cleared her throat, hoping to gain the man's attention. "Might I ask a question of you, sir?"

Earlier that morning, Devlin Tiernan had woken up to a fairly quiet house. Well, as quiet as it could be with servants running around. But he didn't hear or feel the distinctive presences of his parents in the house, so to him the place felt quiet. Perhaps they had left early to visit the Earl for the day. He still wasn't quite sure what they both did all day, especially since he was gone for a majority of it and his father had semi-retired after the last war.

He finally dragged himself out of bed and noticed the fire in his room had been burning a fair amount and the light was shining bright in his window. Squinting from the sunlight, he pulled on some breeches and a tunic, not bothering to tuck it in, and looked around for his boots.

The servants must have breakfast started already, if they had already been to his room to light the fire and open the shutters on his window. Dev had to hurry if he didn't want to be late. Glancing at his mirror, he ran his hands through his hair a few times, settling it down to a fairly presentable style before running downstairs to the dining room. There would be plenty of time later to fix his appearance before he went out for the day.

Even with his parents gone and the servants allowed to be fairly lax with their chores, he still felt bad if he was late to breakfast. It was just the right thing to do, he felt. Which is why he always let them eat with him, so he didn't have to eat alone in the large room.

Just in time, he slid into his seat as the rest were gathering for breakfast. Dev smiled at them all, waited for grace and then dug into his breakfast. Despite the master and mistress of the house being away, the food never lacked in taste for one moment. He thoroughly enjoyed it, helping himself to a second portion, while some of the others moved off to their other chores for the day.

Edited by Mara

Ender

Talson Farrow had been sitting in The Drunken Leech for an hour and a half when his contact arrived, by which time any patience had evaporated. He didn't like wasting time; there might always be something around the corner that you didn't want to encounter. Farrow had survived the past seven years by relying on that tenant.

His contact was only a few years older than Farrow himself, but was already graying at his temples. He wore a black cloak that seemed two sizes too large, yet it still failed to hide the fine clothes he wore. His hand gripped the handle of a dagger at his belt, and his eyes twitched about the near-empty common room.

Farrow smirked. There was such a thing as being too careful.

The man crossed to the corner table where Farrow sat and sat down, still surveying the room.

"Hello, Graves," Talson said. "Care explaining why you've kept me waiting so long in this godforsaken place?"

Graves winced. "Sorry, Farrow, had other business."

"Nothing too serious, I hope," Farrow replied, eyeing the other man's dagger.

"No no, everything's settled. Listen, did you find the... package... I asked you to look for?" Graves asked.

Farrow leaned forward. "That depends. You got my money?"

"Yes..." Graves fumbled under his cloak for a moment, then passed Talson a jingling bag underneath the table. He weighed it with his hand, and sequestered it in his coat.

"Are we done here?" Farrow asked.

"Not yet, there's something else..."

Rogue

After she had explored for a while, the treasure hunter Morgan finally decided to take the blacksmith's advice and seek out the Drunken Leech. It was on the other side of town by then, and she was relieved when she arrived and set her things down on the bar that was the lower level of the inn. Having them on her back so long wore on her.

Her blue eyes took in the bartender, and the weapon he kept stashed on the wall behind him as he approached.

After a few moments of banter they were negotiating over the price of a room.

Drake

Lars looked up at the source of the voice. Immediately, his grip tightened on the trowel he was holding. It wouldn't have been the first time a bandit tried to loot the house. Mr. Axe had shown him plenty of good fighting moves with his various yard tools and he had used them a couple of times. However, when he saw that it was a young woman, his gripped relaxed...a bit. Lars couldn't ignore the longsword strapped to her back.

The woman looked a little out of place, possibly lost, and maybe in need of help. Well course she be needin' help, he thought. She wouldn'a stopped if she not.

Putting on a friendly smile, he answered, "What can I do ya fer, ma'am?"

Mara

She kept her hands at her sides, hoping to show she meant no harm and walked a few paces closer. Avee thought quickly about what she could ask him for, but all her past thoughts seemed to leave her for the time being.

"Might I rest here for an hour or two? I've been traveling since early this morn, and..." she trailed off, before adding in a rush, "I can pay." Avee looked down at fumbled at her belt at the small coin purse hung there near her dagger.

Finished eating, Devlin was back in his room and opening up a chest he kept at the foot of his bed. His mother kept pressing him to keep his armor and things outside, but he couldn't bear to let them out of his sight and protection. Though handed down from his brothers and not new anymore, the chain mail, plates and swords held a special place in his heart. Plus, he just liked to sometimes scare the maid while rushing down the stairs, clanking as he went.

Smiling to himself, he began pulling on his gear. He didn't like to keep Master Jamison waiting, preferring to be the first to arrive. Hefting his sword and carrying his helmet, he Dev clanged down the stairs from his room and headed to the side door leading to the villa's small stable.

He whistled one note as he entered, and was greeted with an answering whinney. "Whiskey! Are you ready for some action, boy?" No longer the color of dark whiskey as he was born but now a bright shiny red chestnut, the 5-year-old stallion was Devlin's favorite horse. And the only one his father let him call his own.

Whiskey moved restlessly in his stall, waiting for his master to let him out and saddle him. "Shh, boy. Just a second..." Devlin stashed his things, the armor and weapon he wasn't wearing yet, and opened his horse's stable door. While Whiskey chewed on an apple, Dev got down his tack and began preparing him. Master Jamison didn't always have them battle astride, but he rode to the training ground anyway, mostly because it made the trip easier and faster.

He cinched the last strap tight and donned his helmet before grabbing his sword and mounting up. "Ya, Whiskey!" The stallion neighed loudly and cantered out of the stable and into the town.

Edited by Mara

Drake

"Sure, yeh," Lars said. "No needs ta pay, though. You want, ya can take your spell out here or in th' house. Yer choice. House's a bit warmer an' ya can chat wit' Penny. She be ma sis. Fix ya up sometin ta eat. Plus, her commana...commucin...communitac...she be better at talkin' den me."

He started back to work then thought of something else and added, "Ya want, I can holler at 'er. Let 'er know yer comin'. Wouldn'a want ta get a fryin' pan to the noggin' when alls ya want is ta have a sit, eh?"

Ender

Graves slid a parchment across the table to Talson. He took one look at the writing, and crumpled it in disgust.

"No way. I don't do assassinations. Find someone else."

"There is no one else!" Graves hissed. He took another look around the room. "Besides, Berevsky isn't happy with the incident at Darking Bridge! He told me that if you didn't accept this, there'd be consequences!" He tried to look menacing, and failed utterly.

Farrow smirked, and leaned on the table. Graves shrank back.

"If he wants to come after me, tell him I dare him to. Unless..." Talson drew his dagger and dug it into Graves' groin, out of sight of the bartender, "you'd care to try?"

The other man whimpered and shook his head vigorously. "Good. Now get out of my sight." With that, Graves squeaked and half-ran from the tavern. Farrow sighed and unfolded the crumpled parchment. It had a short description of a young woman, apparently someone dangerous, by the writ.

Morgan, eh? Talson thought. Guess it's your lucky bloody day.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.