Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Chapter 3: Archaic

Vergere

"Very well." Brier nodded. "Also, feel free to call me Brier. It's incredibly informal here." She smiled, "Would you like me to leave you alone so you have time to yourself?"

Rogue

Kala'uun Starport, Ryloth.

He stepped off the shuttle to the smooth cavern ground below. Kala'uun Starport was filled with ships. Most of them were trade ships, and Twi'lek Chir'daki, which were known in Basic as Deathseeds. Still, as a native, Nat Riamor knew that many of those ships belonged to smugglers, and slavers. Ryloth was no longer under the control of the Galactic Empire, but it wasn't a part of the New Republic either. As a member of the Alliance of Free Worlds, Ryloth's government could allow pretty much whatever it wanted.

Nat knew that most of the Twi'lek customs were dated, but none moreso than the slave trade that had claimed two of his sisters, and one of his squadron-mates. He briefly wondered if Nima, the group medic was able to enjoy any vacation as well.

He sighed, looking around, his lekku curling and uncurling as he relaxed himself. He had to admit it, he needed a vacation himself. Behind him, his droid tootled, dragging his bag behind him. Nat pat the little guy on the dome. "Come, Ven. Time to head home."

Back on Altagak Base

"You got it babe." Layla said, rising for her feet. "I need to go stretch my legs anyway. I'll meet you there."

Radioactive Isotope

Trian

Atuarre stood at the very edge of her family's village. She really didn't know what possessed her to come back. I guess with so many others heading home, I thought I should too. Except this wasn't really home anymore. Her mother had made it quite clear that Atuarre would not be welcome unless she was coming to take her place on the yu'nar. Atuarre often wondered if her mother had really disowned her daughter, or if she secretly worried the worst had happened. Still, their last conversation--argument really--had ended with nasty words and surely hard feelings on both sides.

The only being Atuarre really truely missed was her younger sister. She and Nakura hadn't really been close until a few months before Nakura disappeared. Atuarred wondered if their mother blamed her for not being able to find Nakura. A part of her was always searching. Always keeping an ear out for news, but so far, nothing.

Ayingel

A Hospital on Coruscant: Cybernetics

Szen cringed as a medical droid made adjustments to her new arm. "Sithspit! Could you cause me any more pain?!" She slammed her good fist down on the arm of the chair she was sitting in. A lot had changed since her last visit to Coruscant. After joining the Revenants, her life hadn't had one dull moment, even through her first mission. Szen brushed her hand over her new eye. This is too much. She closed her eyes and the droid worked on her arm just a little more.

"Only a few more minutes."

She grunted as different sensations coursed through her nerves. Szen squeezed her eyes shut until it was over.

"There. All finished."

"For today, right?" Szen rolled her eyes and clenched her new fist. "The joys of rehab."

Mara

Kaden looked back up at her. "No, we can continue the tour." He glanced around once, then closed the door behind him.

"Incidentally... when would dinner be?" The long trip, plus his extended nervousness at the prospect of such, had made him extremely hungry.

Edited by Mara

Bad furday

Bargwanna Raceway Park, Great Plains, Corellia

Arlan and Jya had arrived at the track early. This gave them nearly an hour to take in the sights and sounds of the racetrack.

Many of the podracers were already in their grid positions on the track. It was a hot day, and one could see the horizon lines blurring from the heat.

Fans and celebrities swarmed about, caught up

in the pre-race festivities. Mechanics rechecked their adjustments and consulted with drivers. Grid girls smiled and posed

holding signs with the drivers' names, numbers and nationalities.

Arlan spotted a familiar yellow and blue podracer.

"That's Biela Ambrall," he pointed, "Selonia's first podracer!"

As Jya took pictures of Ambrall's pod, she spottted the brown furred Selonian. Biela was sitting in the cockpit, consulting with her mechanics

over a datapad.

"Let's see if we can get a picture with her" suggested Jya. Arlan readily agreed.

The two of them made their way around to the cockpit, and waited until Biela was finished talking.

"Excuse me, Ms. Ambrall? May we take our picture with you?" asked Arlan.

"Sure!" grinned Biela. She motioned to a nearby pit droid. "Take our picture with their camera".

Jya and Arlan flanked the Selonian on either side, as the droid snapped the holo.

Arlan and Jya thanked Biela and wished her luck in the day's race.

As they began to tour the rest of the grid, Jya asked, teasingly,

"Will you take my picture with one of the grid girls?"

Arlan told her he didn't need to be asked twice.

Jya walked up to Ambrall's Twi'lek grid girl and struck a pose. Just before Arlan snapped the holo, she turned and

kissed the woman fully on the mouth.

Arlan was floored. Biela and her team roared with laughter.

Vergere

Brier's home, Corellia

"In probably an hour or so. It's eveningtime, and I'm sure something is being prepared as we speak." Brier meandered on through the house, showing him several different areas to hang out, the ins and outs of the building, and so forth. "You're welcome to walk wherever you choose while you're here. Any questions?"

Drake

The mercenery fleet made a split second hyperspace jump, taking them instantly from the gas giant to high orbit of the Altagak moon. The three bounty hunter ships and a dozen heavily armoured dropships split off from the main attack force and made their way to ground.

The warships opened fire with their turbolaser batteries, targetting any key positions on the base below.

The Altagak Base command centre was quiet. Most of the regular staff was on leave and there was little to do.

Lieutentant Astley was sitting back at his sensor station. He was reading a holozine and looking only half as bored as he felt. He didn't even notice the enemy fleet emerge from the corona of the gas giant and, a moment later, appear in orbit of the moon. It wasn't until the proximity alarms started blaring that he shot up straight in his seat, holozine fluttering to the floor. In a second, he took in all the data displayed on his monitors and shouted, "Unknown hostile contacts inbound! High orbit!"

Commander Rosh Tebus, the man in charge of base operations and defense, rushed from his office, adjacent to the the command centre. "What's the situation?" He glanced over Astley's shoulder. "How did they get past our sensor network?"

"I don't know, sir," said the Lieutenant. "My guess is that they slipped through the gas giant's corona. The gases in the mid-levels shielded them from our sensors. After that, they must have made a micro-jump into orbit."

Tebus growled "How did they find us?"

Astley just shook his head. The question wasn't directed at the Lieutenant and more in general...or towards the Commander himself.

The base suddenly shook with a turbolaser impact.

"Raise the shield!" shouted Tebus. He went over to a wall comm unit and pressed the key to open a line to the entire base. "This is Base Commander Tebus. We are under attack by an unidentified force. Scramble all available fighters and prepare to repel invaders. Repeat, we are under attack...."

Takeshi was in his quarters when the room suddenly shook. He knew, from experience, the difference between an earthquake and an orbital strike...and this was no earthquake. He was out the door even before Commander Tebus came over the comm. Tak was most of the way down the hall when he heard the words, "prepare to repel invaders." He stopped short then looked back down the hall to his quarters. If there was an invasion force on the way, the base's skeleton crew would have trouble holding it off on their own. And if the fighters were being scrambled, that left even less able warriors to defend the base.

Running back to his quarters, Takeshi went to his lockbox and started suiting up for battle.

Edited by Drake

Ender

The only pilots Jaim found in the rec rooms were the very same officers whom he had cleaned out the night before. Vorrin and Sadro looked they had been run over by tanks, Jor was even worse, and Kaydi winked at him, with a glint in her eye. So, naturally, Jaim made himself as loud and boisterous as possible.

"Heya comrades, how are you this fine morning?" Jaim half-shouted while slamming the door. The other pilots winced in pain and glared daggers at him.

"You already took all our money, Adarra. What do you want now?" Sadro growled.

"Ah, I took your women and your dignity as well, don't be forgetting. I'd say that's a rout on my part. Wouldn't you?"

Sadro now looked like he was about to burst. He looked at Kaydi, seemingly accusing her of betrayal. She shrugged sheepishly.

"Ah, did I break up a lovely domestic relationship? Terribly sorry," Jaim said, pouring some caf. "But not really."

Fuming, Sadro stormed out. Jaim looked around the room as if he had no idea what Sadro was angry about.

"Anybody up for a game?"

Rogue

Layla was knocked off her feet and into a table as one of the first of the blasts hit. She pushed off of it, righting herself and turning back towards the door she'd came through. Immediatly everybody who was eating rose, abandoning their food for their blasters and heading for their posts. The Zeltron woman found herself unable to move, getting surrounded by people pushing for the door.

Altagak Base was under attack.

Why was it that no hidden base could ever stay hidden? She imagined that right now the Flying Mynocks were heading for their fighters. But what about the Revenants? There were only three of them left on base. As soon as she got into the hall, she made her way to go find Takeshi and Jaim. She was running towards Tak's quarters when she saw the Mynocks flying out of the Rec room. And where they were--

She poked her head through the door and looked to Jaim. "C'mon Adarra! The base is under attack and all you can think about is cards?"

Winters

Cale Sano stood in the bridge of the command ship, the Hygelac, taking in the chaos that happened.

Blasted orders, Cale thought, looking at the make shift armada attack Altagak Base, this'll bring unwanted attention to us. "Be careful of what your shooting!" he yelled at the gunners, "If Argos finds out that the target is destroyed, it'll be your heads," he paused for a dramatic effect that he learned so well. "Perhaps even more..."

He looked down at a variety of screens, seeing information about battle groups, star fighter squadrons, landing crafts, and the base itself. This better be good. Stang. In his bones, he felt that this may end in his death, or worse, his capture.

Ender

"So I've got a one track mind." He grabbed his hold-out blaster from the small of his back and ran out the door after Layla.

Mara

estate, Corellia

Kaden nodded. "No, I don't think so." He shoved his hands in the pockets of his simple coverall flightsuit. "Maybe I should to see if Artie needs a battery recharge."

Vergere

"The major droid hangout is downstairs..." Brier led him through a series of stairways and passages to enter a room filled with droids of various types. None had restricting bolts on them, and they all turned to look at the newcomers as if the humans were interrupting something. Brier raised her hands. "Sorry... didn't mean to interrupt your party boys and girls." She gave a look to Kaden that obviously said, 'Don't ask, because I might tell you.'

Brier put her hands on her hips. "We have a visitor you might like to meet. Would he be allowed to join your festivities?" She couldn't help but roll her eyes as there were squeaks and whistles and squeals of all sorts at this.

Drake

Takeshi decided to leave his helmet off for the time being. Being found in full Mandalorian armour during a siege would most likely result in his own people firing at him. It would be hard enough to explain his suit, as it was. So he clipped the helmet to the back of his belt, slung his swords across his back and grabbed his guns.

He ran out into the hall and started off at a run towards the command centre. The emergency lights in the corridor were flashing red and alarm klaxons were sounding. Commander Tebus' voice came over the base-wide comm once again. "Enemy troops have entered the base! Secure the hangar bay!"

Meanwhile, in orbit

Captain Slade and the rest of the Screaming Mynock Squadron, as well as any other able-bodied pilot available, flew up to meet the threat raining hell upon the base below. They had destroyed almost half of the dropships going down on their way up but the primary target was the source of the turbolaser barrages.

The mercenary vessels released its fighters: mostly old Headhunters and TIE fighters. Each was easily out-matched by any one of the New Republic fighters. However, there were about five times as many enemy craft to the twenty or so X-Wings.

Slade knew one thing was for certain. It was going to be a hell of a fight.

The blast doors to the hangar bay blew apart thanks to a barrage of concussion missiles from one of the bounty hunter ships.

Even before the dust had settled, a motley assortment of mercenaries flooded through the blast hole. The first waves were cut down quickly, by base personnel but soon the numbers began to push through and take up firing positions around the entry.

Rogue

Layla made a pitstop at her room, reaching into the nighttable drawer for her blaster, hold out blaster, and a few surprises. Jaim stood in the doorway as she did so. Once she was armed she pulled out her comm and tried to dial Tak's frequency. "Lieutenant Beskar," She said, trying to sound professional again now that Jaim was around. "if you hear me I have Jaim with me. What are our orders?"

Drake

With his helmet off, Tak received his comms through one of his wrist gauntlets. When Layla had finished, he pressed a button on the gauntlet and replied, "Do what the Base Commander says. Proceed to the hangar and repel the invaders. I'll meet you there...in full force."

Takeshi picked up the pace. He came across no one on the way to the command centre as most people were probably at the hangar already. He ran into the command salon. At first, no one looked up from what they were doing but, finally Commander Tebus looked back at him and had a double-take.

"Lieutenant Beskar? Mind explaining what you're doing in that?"

Tak unclipped his helmet and held it out so the Commander could see. "I'm sorry to report that my entire personal history is a lie, sir. The New Republic thinks that I'm from Fondor. In truth, I was raised a Mandalorian. My name is Takeshi Skirata."

Tebus studied him for several long moments. He seemed to have momentarily forgotten about his duties to the base. Finally he said, "Lieutenant, I wouldn't much care if you were a Kowakian monkey-lizard in a dress...so long as you could help defend this base."

A smile crossed Tak's mouth. He wasn't expecting an answer like that. "Sir, I just need to make sure no one on our side fires at me."

The Commander laughed, "Son, I'll make sure of it. Now please get the hell out of my sight. I'm busy!"

Takeshi threw up a salute. "Yes, sir!" He placed his helmet over his head and secured the locking ring into place.

"Yeah, yeah," said Tebus, waving the Lieutenant away instead of saluting.

So Tak took his leave and started off towards the hangar.

As the mercenaries moved forward into the hangar, taking more defensive positions, they began placing explosives onto the remaining vessels still in their berths. Their plan was to prevent any kind of escape.

Edited by Drake

Rogue

Layla strapped a combat vest over her chest and did as she was told, stuffing her belt filled with power packs and heading to the hanger.

What she found there was chaos.

She settled in with a group of ground troops behind some cover, aiming her blaster at the incoming mercenaries and shooting with practiced accuracy.

Mara

Kaden smiled. "He might try to take you all on in dejarik, though. For credits.

But," he glanced at Brier. "Probably good to get him away from the kids for a while. So they can... rest."

Winters

Cale continued to look out the bridge viewports, seeing landing crafts disappear into the base and his motley collection of starfighters duel against professional X-Wings.

"Sir, landing crafts have unloaded their troops and engaged the base security. Despite our reports, they're meeting heavy resistance."

Cale continued to look out, closing his eyes to think. He was mildly happy over the professional stance of the bridge and his ship.

"Despite being a rabble of criminals and other unwanteds, they'll prevail." He wished he was a Jedi, to see the outcome of this, what would the right word be, skirmish. "Tell them to stun... I don't want to have to dispose of bodies!" And I ran out of the bridge.

Ender

Jaim had none of the attackers' reservations about killing. He burned down one merc as he followed Layla into the hangar, quickly rolling behind cover.

This job is too big for some little band of mercs, Jaim thought. Someone big is behind this one.

He looked over at Layla. And I've got a pretty good clue as to who that someone is.

A harried, frightened voice from his comlink brought Jaim out of his musings. "Anyone who can hear this, please help us! Some hostiles got out of the hangar through one of the maintenance hatches, and have five of us pinned down outside the power station! Need urgent assistance!"

Needing no encouragement, Jaim sprinted back the way he came in, heading in the direction of the distress call.

Andy

Coruscant

It feels strange to be back home, Aston thought as he stepped off the shuttle into a mostly run-down station. Looking out across the sunset-drenched skyline, he looked for identifiable landmarks, but found none. Far off in the distance the huge lumbering construction droids were busy; after all that was the area devastated by the Lusankya just over a year ago. It was this very shuttleport he had left from that same day, avoiding the carnage and horror that left a terrible scar across what had been a predominantly residential sector of Imperial City.

He hoisted the strap of the small bag of belongings he had brought with him onto his shoulder, and set off to search for what had happened to his old comrades from his days in the underground resistance movement. Their old outpost was not too far from here, but Aston presumed it would be long-since abandoned by now if it was even standing at all.

He headed towards the security hatch to the under-levels, checking his blaster was powered up before he reached the entrance. His access code--surprisingly--still worked, and a platform raised from the darkness to give him access. Cautiously stepping onto the lift, he double-checked his blaster, then pressed the button to descend into the dimly lit underworld of the galactic capital.

Vergere

"Good luck to him to beating any of us, droids included. We've had practice." Brier smiled at Kaden as they headed to go find Artie. Brier found the mass of children and let out a sharp whistle to get their attention, at which point they all stopped what they were doing. "Dinner in 45 minutes. Go help out." At that, they all ran in several directions, leaving Artie in peace, and Brier motioned that Artie come over.

Mara

"Well, I wouldn't know about that..." Kaden trailed off as they reached the group.

Artie spun his dome around to watch the children leave before treading over to Kaden and Brier.

"Have fun? Need some recharging?"

The droid tootled.

Kaden shrugged. "I think he's okay for now."

Vergere

Brier smiled at Artie. "We have a droid lounge for you to enjoy later, Artie. I think you'll enjoy it there."

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.