Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Drake

Stargate

Drake

01_header.jpg

U.S. RELEASE DATE - 10.28.94

BUDGET - $55 million

WRITTEN BY - Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich

DIRECTED BY - Roland Emmerich

STARRING - Kurt Russell (Colonel Jack O'Neil), James Spader (Daniel Jackson), Jaye Davidson (Ra), Viveca Lindfors (Catherine), Alexis Cruz (Skaara), Mili Avital (Sha'uri), Erick Avari (Kasuf), French Stewart (Ferretti), John Diehl (Lt. Kawalsky), Carlos Lauchu Djimon (Anubis), Gianin Loffler (Nabeh)

Blending into Egyptian myth and legend, and the covering up of an alien race that once came to this planet that took its inhabitants for slaves, not by means of ships, but the use of teleportation, and the use of the Stargate. The method of travelling to the ends of the universe, instantly, a quantum leap, from one space to another, as simply walking from one room into another, this is the purpose of the Stargate. Now, in the present day, and for eons past, the Stargate has been hidden, forgotten, and buried, as time has progressed and histories have come and gone throughout the ages; the Stargate has once more been unearthed. In the hands of the military, this portal, this unique tool, this mysterious device shall once more regenerate and transport those to wondrous and new worlds, those who now share its secret. Led by Col. Jonathan 'Jack' O'Neil (Kurt Russell), he, his team and Dr. Daniel Jackson (James Spade), scientist and Egyptologist, have crossed the boundaries of time and space. These modern-day pilgrims have naively stumbled across the Kingdom of the ancient god Ra. An intelligent, cunning and malevolent aging creature that for centuries has used the bodies of his people, his slaves, his humans, to regenerate himself over and over to receive eternal life. And so in the conflict between Man and the deadly demigod Ra begins, the Stargate is where it began, and with the Stargate it shall end.

Drake

Despite several continuity changes required to make a TV series spin-off feasible, the Stargate movie still stands out as a classic. I own the Ultimate Edition DVD with the extended opening and it's just awesome. Sure it's full of 90's cheeze...Colonel O'Neill, at one point, calls Dr. Jackson a "dweeb"...but it doesn't take away from the story.

What did you guys think about the movie?

Andy

Extended opening?

Drake

Yeah, there's just an added scene that shows Ra coming to ancient Earth and taking the boy that would become his new host body.

Andy

Oh, maybe that's the version I already have, cos that sounds pretty familiar :p

Drake

The cover would look something like this:

stargate_dvd_ultimate_edition.jpg

Andy

No, that's not the one I have... :p

*digs it out*

I have the 2001 Director's Cut edition.

The first scene is a short scene with the caption:

"NORTH AFRICAN DESERT 8,000 BC"

shows Ra's ship landing or whatever near a small village, and the boy who we later see as Ra is enveloped in a bright light.

Is there even more to it than that?

Drake

Yeah, that's it, but I'm guessing that there's probably more deleted scenes scattered throughout the film then. Probably more bonus features too.

Ender

I just watched this the other day, actually, because I hadn't seen it in ages... it's still just as fantastic.

Mara

I think I've only seen the first five minutes? when it was on TV once. :p

I am guessing if I rent it, I should rent the most recent version, eh?

Ayingel

or you could do what i did and watch the movie and go straight to atlantis...i liked atlantis much better than the first series at first, but i like it more now after seeing atlantis and some of the older characters.

TheUnknown

Yes, you should rent it.

Ayingel

grrr i'm so mad i haven't been able to watch much of this season :(

Drake

Yeah, I'm falling behind a bit, myself.

Will need to start up the downloads.

Ender

Newsflash:

Continuum was really ewoking awesome.

Drake

Yes. Yes it was.

Uncle Du

I'm completely caught up with everything now. I was reading back through some of the posts, and thought that it was funny that Torri higginson was mentioned, and her falling out with the show. I was thinking about the episode preview for this week, and it appears they bring Weir "back", albeit, she looks NOTHING like Weir. So it'll be weird to see how that plays out.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the Arc of Truth and Continuum. It made me sad to watch em though, cause it made me realize that my beloved SG-1 will NEVER have anything new! *sob*

I was really happy to see that they got Mark Dacascos to play Ronin's buddy Tyre. Though he's never been really mainstream, he's an incredible martial artist and he brings that kind of bad ass-ness to the things he does. When he and Ronin fought, it brought a kind of awesome albeit kind of tame brutality to the show that I thought was awesome. I'm really happy with where Atlantis has gone, cause when it first aired, I was kinda doubting that it would ever take off. Granted, it was also still competing with SG-1. I just wish that SciFi would put it in a better time slot, cause I think that would help gain a larger audience.

But I am glad that I can look forward to getting my Gate fix every Friday again either way. :D

Edited by Du

Drake

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Failure!

Chickenman

MacUsless

Anderson's face is priceless.

Uncle Du

:rofl:

That is one of the best outtakes ever!

And did you notice this video?! I thought I had seen all Mac episodes, and I don't ever remember this!

Andy

So, I recently read an article about the upcoming reboot. I've lost the link, though.

In the article they mention how they originally planned Stargate to be a trilogy but never got round to doing the service and third films. As the TV show created it's own continuity, and too much time has passed since the original film they are rebooting it so they can tell the trilogy a continuous story as it was originally intended.

Although I do enjoy the original film and I love the TV shows, am actually quite intrigued to see what happens with this.

Also, for those who never got around to watching Stargate the reboot would be an ideal opportunity to jump onboard. :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.