Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Chapter 1: Baptism By Fire

Rogue

The indicator on Layla's music-player showed that it was low power, causing a curse to escape her lips. She knew she should have brought some spare power-cells! "C'mon...don't die on me..." she prayed, only to have the music shut off a moment later. "Hutt slime." Discarding it on top of her lime-green bag, she took a look around.

Maybe somebody else had thought to bring them?

She bit on her lower lip, leaning over her bag to tap the nearest person, a human male with dark hair and olive skin lightly on the shoulder with one finger.

Mara

Kaden opened his eyes and looked over at the female. "Yes?"

Rogue

Gray eyes stared at him appologetically behind pink skin. "Sorry, I know you're trying to sleep. My music player just died and I was wondering if you had any spare power-cells you could lend me."

Her lips, a few shades darker than her skin smiled at him.

Mara

He shifts in his seat a bit to get more comfortable.

"No, I don't think so."

Rogue

"Blaster bolts...that's my luck. Sorry then." She shrugged, extending a hand to him. She was still somehow upbeat, judging by the grin on her face. "I'm Layla, Layla Nasrin."

Mara

He paused a moment, deciding. But then he figured since they'd probably be bunking together and flying together for quite some time, it wouldn't hurt to be somewhat civil. But he also knew when not to get attached to a fellow pilot because accidents happen.

Kaden shoved back the memory before it had time to flesh out and extended his hand. "Kaden Staal."

Edited by Mara

Rogue

"It's a pleasure to meet you Kaden." She said genuinely, shaking his hand. "This is some long trip, isn't it?"

Mara

He shrugs. "I haven't noticed really. Not much longer than some I've been on."

Rogue

"Maybe it just seems longer because I'm not behind the controls then." Layla mused, leaning back in her seat. She got the distinct feeling this guy wasn't looking for a conversation, but after hours of boredom she needed to indulge herself a little. "So who's Squadron were you assigned to Kaden?"

Mara

He nodded, then, "You mean before this transfer? I was flying with the Golden Eagles. Y-wings."

Rogue

"Nice! I just came from Redemption Squadron." She smiled brightly, shifting in her seat to face him better. "The Golden Eagles helped us at Vadrov Prime about two months ago. We ran cover while you guys blasted that weapons factory into shrapnel."

Mara

"Ahh, yes. I do remember that now. Most missions tend to blend in together."

He paused a while, remembering. Then trying not to remember.

"But that mission at Vadrov is something I do remember."

Rogue

"Yeah, things got pretty heated in there." she admitted.

Nearly half the Redeemers had been killed, along with their Executive Officer. His replacement was, well...the reason she was here now, instead of flying under the old Squadron seal.

"Especially once those Interceptors broke our lines."

Mara

"Not for long, as far as the space around me was concerned." Kaden wasn't shy about mentioning his accuracy at shooting, but at the moment, he wasn't really trying to brag.

Rogue

The warm carefree sound of laughter escaped the Zeltron's lips. "Alright, you've got to be from one of the Core Worlds with an ego like that. Being that you don't fit the profile of a Corellian I'm going to say...Coruscant?"

Mara

"I was born there, yes. But I grew up all over the galaxy."

Kaden didn't bother to correct her assumption. He didn't want to talk about that mission any more than he had to.

Bad furday

"um...I couldn't help overhearing..."

It was the human with the golden eyes. Arlan held out his hand,

"Here are two spare power cells for your music player, miss."

Rogue

"I knew it." She grinned. "We've been living in Imperial City for the past two years. I was afraid we were going to have to relocate when they released Krytos." She frowned at the thought. "But luckily Zeltron's are close enough to the Human genome that the Imps wouldn't dare try to target us. Could jump species and bit them in the ass, if you get my meaning."

All those poor people who died because of those nerfherders---it upset her, but she wasn't one to linger on things like that.

She turned at the man who addressed her, suddenly smiling again. "Oh hey! Thanks! I really should have thought to bring some."

Edited by Rogue

Bad furday

"Hey, no problem!" replied Arlan. He smiled back, instantly put at ease by the lovely Zeltron.

"I'm Arlan Vaar" he said, holding out his hand.

Rogue

"Pleased to meet you, Arlan." She took the hand of the man in the chair in front of her, smiling dazzlingly at him. "I'm Layla Nasrin."

Mara

He nodded also, well remembering one of the Empire's crazy plans.

Kaden turned to the other human and decided he should introduce himself. "Kaden Staal."

Edited by Mara

Bad furday

" Um, hi!" replied Arlan, feeling funny. She had such nice teeth, such a nice smile! And a friendly outgoing personality to boot!

"Kaden Staal"

The voice cut through and interrupted his reverie.

Arlan turned and acknowledged the other man as though through a haze.

"Nice to meet you as well." He smiled amicably.

With a last glance at Layla, he returned to his seat, smiling broadly.

Arlan was smitten.

Edited by Bad furday

Mara

Kaden answered, "Sure thing," and gave the other man a half-hearted salute as he turned away.

Finding that no one else was demanding his immediate attention, he sat back in his seat once again and closed his eyes.

Rogue

Layla casually popped open the casing, replacing the dead power-cells with the ones she had been given. Closing it again, she popped in one earbud, so that she could listen both to what was going on in the ship as well as on the player.

She twirled a dark-red strand of hair with one finger as she listened to the music. Maybe this new Squadron wouldn't be so bad. Kaden was a little cold, but he was respectful at the very least, and this Arlan guy seemed nice enough if not a bit shy.

Another half-hour passed before the ship exited hyperspace, and soon after that, entered atmosphere. Layla briefly wished she'd taken a portal-seat so she could see the moon for the first time. She anxiously put her music-player away, and grabbed her bag as the shuttle touched down.

Edited by Rogue

Chickenman

Aeric was just taking a sip from his mug when his comlink beeped. Scowling, he reluctantly placed his mug back on the bar and answered it. When he was finished, he turned to Nat.

"Looks like the kids are here. Let's go." The pair made their way out of the cantina, through the winding halls of the base, and finally out to the landing pad. The surrounding forest had been cleared for fifty meters outside of the pad, offering plenty of room for the squadrons and their support vessels to manuever before touching down. To help mask the base, it had been concealed at the bottom of a tall canyon, making it difficult for sensors to spot. Even Aeric had missed it on his first flyover, and he had it's exact coordinates.

Aeric noted the presence of Captain Slade and his XO, standing only a few meters away. He offered a wave to the leader of the other squadron stationed at the base. Slade merely nodded coldly. Slade was a typical officer raised on Coruscant, that is, he came prepackaged with something so far up his tail pipe it would take a team of miners and an entire shipment of thermite to wedge it out. Aeric dismissed him and squinted upwards, trying to spot the shuttle.

There.

"Here we go," he muttered, thus opening a new chapter in his life.

The shuttle touched down, and the pilots began to emerge from it.

"Blue Squadron, form up here!" he called, and watched as his new squadron assembled.

His new squadron. He suppressed a shudder. God, he hoped this one turned out okay.

Edited by Chickenman