Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Mara

Michael Crichton

Mara

Yeah, I think he deserves his own thread.

And he's real sci-fi because he takes real possible scientific advances and writes about them, in a fictional way, of course.

We don't have dinosaurs or time-space continuum traveling or pyscho nanotech bots or anything. :p

http://www.crichton-official.com

I've read Jurassic Park, The Lost World, The Andromeda Strain, Sphere, Rising Sun, Timeline, Prey and State of Fear. I hope I remembered them all.

Andy

Jurassic Park is my second favourite book/series of all time. The original novel is awesome, and the second novel is pretty damn good too although the movie of that left a lot to be desired. :p

Timeline was awesome too, as was Congo and soem other stuff I can't remember.

So all-in-all, Crichton is among my favourite authors (I can't actually pick a single favourite, lol).

Mara

Aye....the Lost World movie pretty much sucked.

But it seems a majority of his books turned movies, aren't very good. Oh well.

I can't wait to see what they do with Prey, I heard a while back that a studio bought the movie rights to it.

GI_Admiral

So lets be honest...

He's speaking at my Uni.

Score one for the good guys

Mara

So lets be honest...

He's speaking at my Uni.

Score one for the good guys

Why'd you have to bring that up again?

Damn you! :p

You know, I do expect you to go and write down a complete transcript for me.

GI_Admiral

Im gonna sneak a camera or something in maybe :p

Mara

You better! :p

Uncle Du

You know, I never saw Timeline, cause I was pretty sure it wouldn't be as good as the book.

Mara

You know, I never saw Timeline, cause I was pretty sure it wouldn't be as good as the book.

It isn't.

Piece of crap movie.

Mara

There is a rumor going around that he has a new book coming out in December of this year... yet untitled.

Yay!

TheUnknown

The only Crichton book I've read is Jurassic Park, and I honestly wasn't that impressed. I plan to eventually read more of his stuff, though.

Andy

How dare you not like Jurassic Park! :eek:

:p

Mara

Yes, how dare you?

Anyway... it seems this last novel has been postponed indefinitely. :(

Winters

Honestly, considering how his novels been coming around... I think it's for the better... because in my opinion, Prey was his last great novel. State of Fear wasn't that great and I thought Next was BAD...

Mara

State of Fear is one of my favorites.

And I liked Next.

I know that Harper Collins probably wants to wait a bit and such.. but they should still release it. I think all us fans deserve it.

Andy

He probably had other things on his mind while writing his last books, to be fair. lol

And I heard it was postponed 'til March '09. It has an ISBN, so that would suggest that publishing is still going ahead. If he was still working on it they might have had to call an editor in; I don't know how these things work. :p

Mara

Oh, I know it was finished; it was supposed to come out this month. I even had it held at the library for me. (Though, it was untitled).

I assume they already have copies then, but, I dunno. Wait and see.

Winters

I guess I'll buy it... but only because he wrote Prey and Timeline...

Mara, do you happen to know what it's about? (Can't be a spoiler... just what it's about but it is a spolier, but it would be the same thing you see in a dustjacket or on the back of the book, so I'll leave that open to debate.)

Edited by Winters

Mara

No idea. I don't even know the title of it. It was being kept under wraps, last I heard. I think they wanted to keep it quiet until the release in Dec. So now.. I dunno.

Wikipedia had something a while back, but it was unconfirmed and probably 99% untrue.

The new release date is May 4, it seems.

Andy

Two Crichton novels are apparently going to be released. The first is about pirates, but the puplisher is looking for the right person to finish the second one which is apparently one of his technological thrillers that was only one third completed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7986124.stm

Whoever they get to finish off that novel has big shoes to fill, lol, taking on an unfinished work that was Crichton's forte probably isn't for the faint-hearted!

Mara

I didn't realize he had had a second one.

And, honestly, I don't want anyone to finish it. Why does it need to be finished? Authors leave behind uncompleted works all the time.

Let's just put out the completed one and be done with it.

Gah, why must we wait till November?

It WAS supposed to come out in March.

Andy

Gah, why must we wait till November?

It WAS supposed to come out in March.

Well, he DID die. :p

Mara

Yes, and they changed the date from LAST November to this March. And now they changed it AGAIN.

Winters

It won't happen, no one can do it... Who else is a doctor-turned sci-fi/etc writer?

Drake

I'm amused that the thread's sub-heading says "real sci-fi." If it was real, it would be called science. :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.