Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Middle-earth Discussion

Pandora

OKay, question, sorta...

I just started reading the trilogy for the first time, and there's a lot of reference to Sauron fleeing or leaving Mirkwood. What the heck was he doing there? I'm so confused!!!

Roethlisberger

Sauron had set up a stronghold in Dol Guldur (he was believed to be a Nazgul) Dol Guldur was his home until the Nazgul mad e Mordor ready again. Have someone else clarify what I just said.

Pandora

And Dol Guldor is......? I told you, I just started reading like yesterday.

Roethlisberger

A hill in Mirkwood.

Drake

Dol Guldur was a fortress that's in Southern Mirkwood (look on the map). Sauron built it when he was under the guise of "The Necromancer" about 1100 years into the Third Age. The White Council thought he was another Nazgul but Gandalf discovered it was actually Sauron himself. The Council attacked Dol Guldur, forcing Sauron to move back to Mordor. Later on, the Nazgul came back and fortified it. Since this was during the Third Age, I assume Sauron was just a spirit when he was there...

Hope that helped.

Tsl

Hey, Chozen, it also says that they correct more of the spellings every edition. :p

Hey, Beeurd, it also says there's a long more way to go to absolute completion. :p

And why is it speeled with all those funky extra u's all over the place, huh? huh? Oh, and why is it Elves and Dwarves rather then elfs and dwarfs?

Because Tolkein had to change it because the American punlishers screwed up...

I wasn't on about the American/English spellings, I was talking about the mistakes of publisher's who changed words.

pwned, pwned... and oh wait... pwned again! :D:p

:???:

O...kay...umm...yeah. *gives up on it*

chozen

Yeah.. There are a few unclear references to both Sauron and some of the places he stays... And the inpendix doesn't really help, sadly.. Arda does though.. Even helped me with Thangorodrim

Drake

Ahh, I just read about that yesterday. The three mountain peaks that Morgoth raised above the gates of Angband. Woot.

chozen

Yeah.. I must read the hobbit nad the other book.. For more info.. Because as I said; the index is pretty pathetic.

CorSec

Got Unfinished Tales. Whoo. Should start reading after I finish Unifying Force...

Drake

*the thread returns from the Halls of Mandos*

Did you finish the UT yet, CorSec?

I found something, while reading the section on the Istari (Wizards). I discovered the wonderous mention about the Second Prophecy of Mandos concerning the Dagor Dagorath, the End of Days, when Melkor (Morgoth) shall return. After some searching on the Net, I found this:

Thus spake the prophecy of Mandos, which he declared in Valmar at the judgement of the Gods, and the rumour of it was whispered among all the Elves of the West: when the world is old and the Powers grow weary, then Morgoth shall come back through the Door out of the Timeless Night; and he shall destroy the Sun and the Moon, but E?rendil shall come upon him as a white flame and drive him from the airs. Then shall the last battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day Tulkas shall strive with Melkor, and on his right shall stand E?nw? and on his left T?rin Turambar, son of H?rin, Conqueror of Fate, and it shall be the black sword of T?rin that deals unto Melkor his death and final end; and so shall the children of H?rin and all Men be avenged.

Pretty cool, eh?

*goes to make a movie about it*

Andy

Did you finish the UT yet, CorSec?

How can he finishe them when they aren't finished? :p

Drake

*thwack* :p

CorSec

Finished the First age stuff, on Tuor and Turin. I'm somewhere in the Numenorean Second Age tales.

Drake

Cool. I'm just about done The Silmarillion. I'm in the middle of "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age". After reading it, I now like it more than the LotR trilogy.

I found some really cool tie-ins to modern day and into Star Wars even.

In the tale about the fall of the N?menoreans, the island of N?men?r? (also named Andor, Elenna, Westernesse, and Anad?n?) was eventually swallowed up into the ocean because the N?menoreans were stupid and brought Sauron back to their land. Anyway...after it was destroyed, it was given the names Akkalab?th (meaning the Downfallen) and also Atalant? in Quenya (which sounds very much like Atlantia). ;)

Also, the old Sindarin name for Middle-Earth is Endor. :p

Tsl

In another of Tolkien's works, Roverrandom (which was written before he'd started work on LOTR, but after he'd begun some of his notes and written the original version of the Hobbit) he mentions a great continent in the West which sunk beneath the ocean.

Ooooh ^^ :p

Drake

I still need to read that! *logs it into his memory banks*

Andy

My cousin got the history of Middle-earth books for his 21st birthday. I may have to "borrow" them... ;)

Roethlisberger

The Silmarillion is great, but I can't say it's better than LOTR for its lack of a main character or true storyline. (Unless Morgoth is the main character) Interesting stuff, nonetheless

CorSec

Well...I have to say. I haven't touched UT since I last posted in this thread. I've been sidetracked...with...everything (games).

Drake

BLASPHEMY!!

*draws Gurthang and slays CorSec*

CorSec

*is too busy playing games to notice*

Drake

*slays CorSec's gaming system* :p

Ender

YAR!! ;)

CorSec

*has been cut off from the internet*

*somehow continues to post*

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.