Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

Star Wars Episode VIII release date revealed

Andy

26 May 2017 has been revealed as the release date for Star Wars Episode VIII, the follow-up to The Force Awakens.Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger revealed the release date during a shareholders meeting in which he also announced the title of the first spin-off movie to be Star Wars: Rogue One.

Little is known about the eighth episode of the Star Wars saga, but what we do know is that Rian Johnson has been confirmed as writer and director. Johnson has previously been responsible for directing sci-fi thriller Looper as well as Brick, along with several episodes of televisions critically-acclaimed show Breaking Bad.

Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy will produce Episode VIII with Ram Bergman, who also produced Looper, Brick, and Don Jon. The Force Awakens directer, JJ Abrams, will also act as executive producer.

It is assumed that several key cast members from The Force Awakens will also return, while the crew have reportedly been preparing for the new movie by watching classic movies such as US airforce drama Twelve O'Clock High and soviet era drama Letter Never Sent.

Click here to view the article

TheUnknown

Well, at least we won't have to wait three years between movies like we used to. 

Andy

True. :p

Although I do worry that they may be rushing them out, thus affecting quality. Especially since they are doing a spin-off movie between each 'episode'.

Mara

Well, that's what Disney wanted, a new SW film each year.

So we'll see.

It is nice to have SW back premiering in May, even if 7 won't be.

TheUnknown

Yeah, I do worry about them being overworked and quality going down.  Or they have different teams working on them and it makes the style feel disjointed.

I've seen this happen with video game studios that have multiple projects in rapid succession.

Mara

Marvel does something similar, with doing at least a film a year... and for the most part, I think those were all good. (I haven't seen most of them haha, so I dunno). And though the subject matter is all different, unlike SW, they do all have to fit within the MCU.

So there is some hope. Maybe.

At least 7 should be awesome. Filming was done long ago... and they really could have had it ready for this May to open it, but decided to wait for December so that they could make it the best it could be.

Andy

Yeah, the Marvel movies give me hope that Disney won't ruin Star Wars as bad as we all expect. :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.