Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

Important - All members please read!

Andy

Hey all,

I did try posting this as an announcement, but apparently they aren't as visible as I remember.

For the past several years GB has not been terribly busy, as you have probably noticed. To cut a long story short, the combined ongoing costs of running the site and my own general lack of free time mean that GB may have to close in February.

Obviously this is not something that I wanted, but these circumstances plus real life responsibilities are influencing my decisions here.

This isn't for definite at this point, but as the deadline for hosting and domain renewal is looming on 4th February, it is only fair to give you all warning that this may be the case.

I will continue to look for another option in the meantime and will keep you all updated.

If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks,
Andy

TheUnknown

That's really sad.  Hopefully things work out.

Mara

Well, as I told you... I'm gonna try to advertise the crap out of this place... And try to be more active, myself.

Sending out a mass e-mail to members could help, too.

But if we do have to close, I vote for having one big final bash before the end. Like a chat party in the Cantina or something.

Does the fact that you pay for hosting mean that the site will be actually gone, and not open for read-only (if indeed it closes)?

Andy

To be open for read-only access it would still need hosting.

If anybody happens to spot some incredibly cheap hosting that may be suitable for hosting forums, let me know.

You'd think now that I work for a hosting company I could get some free... but alas, I can get it cheap but not quite cheap enough (it's quite an expensive hosting company).

Mara

Yeah, I figured. :/

Then I suppose we should allow time for people to grab stuff if they want it...

Hmmm. I dunno.  One site I'm on (RPG-D) just switched over to A Small Orange... no idea on their prices, though.

They have a list of some hosts, free or paid, over there, too... not sure how recent these are, though... over in their Software/Hosting board.

Edited by Mara

darthraptor52

That’s very sad to hear. I know I haven’t been an active user and likely ‘part of the problem’ but I have so many fond memories of GalacticBasic.

As a suggestion, I used to regularly frequent www.dansjp3page.com to get my Jurassic Park fix, but in the run up to the new movie, Dan really couldn’t find the time to sort the site out. Instead, there is a Dan’s Jurassic World Facebook Group, which is a fairly active community of fans who mostly migrated from the site; https://www.facebook.com/groups/DansJP4Page/

Perhaps this could be something to look into? Eliminates hosting costs too!

Mara

Well, we do already have a GB facebook page...

Just not sure how much people would use a group. :/

Radioactive Isotope

A Facebook page probably wouldn't work for the JPL posters still lurking about. Really all I can think to do there is a free Proboards site or something like that.

Mara

Yeah... is there any way to go back to IPBoard hosting, like in the beginning? Or once you've split off, is it done and done?

< knows almost nothing how that all works, lol

Edited by Mara

Andy

I've always had my own hosting for it, and they only offer paid hosting themselves AFAIK.

There used to be an independent free IPB host called Invisionfree, but I don't think they are still around.

Mara

I think Invision Free is still around...

Hmm, just checked, and they seem to be called zIFBoards now. http://www.zifboards.com/

And there's Jcink, which is part of IPB, and they're free as well. Like Proboards and Zetaboards.

Icyboards is free too, I think.

Though, as far as transferring stuff over, I dunno. *shrug*

EDIT: I forgot about this other one... Draebox. I'm not sure how much you are paying now, but the prices don't seem too too bad. http://draebox.com/hosting.html

And it looks like she has free migration. (And she's in the UK if I remember right!)

Edited by Mara

Tsl

Hi, wandered back due to the email. Sorry to see this place go, though it's been ages since I've been around. I've gotten old, life has gotten busy. I'm working as a nurse practitioner now and I got married back in August. This place will always have a lot of great memories of my "crazy" college years... I'll try to keep an eye on what happens with the old place. Hope you guys can find a place to move! Good to see you all again!

~Tsl

Radioactive Isotope

Wait, what? You got married?! And you're a nurse practitioner now?! AWESOME! CONGRATULATIONS!

Andy

Hi guys, just got a quick update for you...

I think I have found webhosting but I'm still working on it, and I am a little short still on covering the renewal fees as I don't get my wages from work until it is too late.

If anybody wants to donate anything at all towards it, I have an IBAN that they can be sent to.

• Upvote 1

TheUnknown

I can probably donate some towards it.

Mara

Yay! Good news!

Wish I could help with the money. Would if I could. :/

Mara

What's the latest?

Are we saved? Yes, no, maybe?

Andy

Sorry, I'm still working on it.

I think the domain name is going to be okay, so at least that's something. :p

Hosting is still an issue though.

An issue which has not been helped by the £270 repair bill for my car. I don't even know what constant velocity joint gaiters are, and who needs brakes anyway?! 

Andy

Did anybody else notice that it's GB's 13th birthday next week? :p

Mara

Sorry about your car. :(

I noticed the birthday! :D Just hoping the place is still around for it. :/

Edited by Mara

TheUnknown

Sorry for taking so long.  Please check your PMs or get with me on Facebook. 

Also, that sucks about the car.  I learn about cars by having my breakdown.

Andy

Thanks Unknown, I should be able to get this sorted now. :D

Andy

Apparently the forum hadn't finished sending the email about the possible closure... It's not closing by the way. :p

Mara

Yay!

(About the not closing, haha).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.