Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

A New Dawn for Star Wars canon

Andy

Star Wars canon has been redefined, and what was the Expanded Universe will now become available under the "Legends" banner.Disney and Lucasfilm have announced that the old Expanded Universe is no longer canon, to give the storytellers of Star Wars Episode VII and onwards more freedom to create exciting new stories for fans.

The EU has not been totally swept away, though, as elements of it have been preserved as part of the new canon in Disney's new animated series Rebels. Recognising the popularity of the EU, old publications will still be available under a new "Legends" banner and will still be open to be adapted into the new canon.

Del Rey will continue as the publisher for Star Wars adult fiction, and future novels will be part of the new official canon. The first novel announced, by John Jackson Miller, is fittingly titled A New Dawn and will tie-in to Star Wars Rebels, and show how Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla came together. It is scheduled for release as an eBook and hardcover novel on 2nd September 2014.

Three more titles have been revealed:

• Tarkin, by James Luceno. 4th November 2014.
  • Heir to the Jedi, by Kevin Hearne. January 2015
  • Lords of the Sith, by Paul Kemp. March 2015

It's a brave new world for Star Wars, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on this development.

Click here to view the article

Andy

I think it's pretty much what we all thought would happen. I'm actually not as cut up about it as I thought I would be...

Does this mean I get to restart the Star Wars timeline fresh, though? ;)

Drake

Since it's J.J. Abrams doing the new film, I'm going to go ahead and say it's an alternate timeline. Like he did with Star Trek.

Radioactive Isotope

Kindof a shame some of the old storylines won't see any resolution.

I also don't envy the Wookieepedia editors the massive overhaul that will be necessary.

Edited by Radioactive Isotope

Mara

Kindof a shame some of the old storylines won't see any resolution.

Agreed. Some of the (no longer) planned novels I had been looking forward to reading. :/

Andy

I also don't envy the Wookieepedia editors the massive overhaul that will be necessary.

I though that... I'm kind of glad I never finished the Star Wars Database now. :p

Mara

I kind of see this as the entire EU now being like the Infinities 'era'. Where it's a whole packed full AU, instead of just a few brief stories.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it, lol.    Part of me wants to never read another SW book again, in this new canon. Another part of me wants to forget everything I have read in the past 10+  years... which is hard, because there's probably been at least 100-200 novels or something.

Blarg.

Andy

Yeah, I don't know if they are keeping the publishing eras for the new canon or not. Hopefully they'll release more info

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.