Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

Mara Jade to appear in Episode VII?

Andy

Several rumours have surfaced recently that suggest that Mara Jade Skywalker is set to make her movie debut in Star Wars Episode VII, after receiving an on-screen introduction in upcoming television series Star Wars Rebels.This news comes after hearing about the great expanded universe shuffle for which Disney have convened the Lucasfilm Story Group to create a single version of Star Wars canon that encapsulates the expanded universe as well as the movies and new TV shows.

Including a hugely popular EU figure like Mara Jade could have far reaching implications on the expanded universe. As the wife of Luke Skywalker and mother of their son Ben, Mara features heavily in the New Jedi Order and Legacy eras, and has an extensive backstory as a highly skilled Force-sensitive Imperial operative, an Emperor's Hand.

JJ Abrams has recently told press that all Star Wars Episode VII rumours so far have been false, but he said similar things about rumours for Star Trek: Into Darkness which later turned out to be true.

If true, it will be interesting to find out whether EU elements have been incorporated into the latest movie, or whether the timeline as we know it is to be totally overwritten with a brand new continuity, which has been suggested might happen.

Click here to view the article

TheUnknown

Please let this happen.

Andy

I've just been reading another report that says Mara Jade is being used as a template to create a new character to take her place... Obviously this is all hearsay at the moment, but I hope they at least keep the important bits of the EU.

Drake

Obviously this is all hearsay at the moment...

Correction: "Obviously this is all heresy at the moment..."

Andy

lol, touche!

Drake

I fear the worst for this franchise.

Radioactive Isotope

Me too. :cry:

k.a.mara

Yeah, this is a very scary time in the SW universe.

It's one thing to tweek a character or storyline, quite another to totally change it to fit your purpose thus destroying what you had entirely.

All of these rumors are upsetting my already delicate digestive cycle. :puke:   ummm.....sorry. :puppydogeyes:

Edited by k.a.mara

Andy

Yeah I am quite worried that they'll wreck the EU, but Lucas never cared about destroying the EU either, so Disney or not this could be happening either way.

Radioactive Isotope

George had a weird relationship with the EU. There was stuff he did use (like Coruscant's name for instance) and stuff he ignored (pretty much everything else). There's a real opportunity here for Disney to (at least try to) unify the fanbase and make the EU relevant to even the most casual of fans. They know how to tell a story. They could take the material already there and do something amazing with it.

Which brings up another question: Disney has never really shied away from including some pretty dark stuff in its movies. The worst of it was only apparent to an older audience who could connect the dots a bit more. There are corners of the Star Wars universe that are far darker than Disney might dare go. So what's going to happen to the gritter side of the franchise? I hope it doesn't disappear completely because there definitely is a place for it.

Andy

Yeah, I do wonder if 1313 was a casualty of Disney not wanting to go too dark.

k.a.mara

The biggest problem I have with this whole Disney thing is that for years we had to listen to people at Lucas books tell us that they wanted to have some continuity. They were attempting to clarify things, make it easier for readers to know who was who.  That was one of the lame reasons for killing off Anakin Solo, because they felt the name was confusing people. ( I never agreed with this, war has casualties, just admit that's why you killed off a character and move on)

To try now and disreguard the natural order of things to me is just down right stupid. There has been some great materials created over the years and everyone involved has heeded to the code.  Why reck everything now just because Disney bought the franchise.  They would be better off just leaving things alone and starting fresh with new characters/storylines that move alongside with what has already been established.   just saying......

TheUnknown

I think there is a problem with a franchise relies too much on its expanded universe, to the point where very important exposition, character development, and plot development is relegated to the expanded universe, and the main series (the films in the case of Star Wars) just assumes that you know all of what happened.  There's also a problem when things get contradictory and convoluted.  I think both problems happen with the Halo series, where (judging from the Halo wikis as I haven't read it myself), so much of the very important exposition happens in the Halo EU and the games just treat it like you already knew it, e.g., the Human-Forerunner War.

Andy

I didn't even realise Halo had an EU :p

TheUnknown

How would you guys feel about Claudia Black as Mara?

Andy

I like Claudia Black, I just don't know if she's a Mara though.

Mara

Eh... I honestly (thought it would be awesome) don't see this happening. I'm more inclined to be on the side of a Mara-inspired character, than an actual Mara. Someone they want to link to Luke.

Despite any rumors and such, I really just think that the writers will do their own thing without any thoughts to the established canon in the EU.

But I could be wrong. I want to be wrong.

Radioactive Isotope

I want you to be wrong. So does every EU fan in existence. But sadly, chances are you're not wrong. :cry:

Andy

Abrams seems to understand the SW fan base is easily upset so I hope that's what spurred him to jump onto the story team.

Radioactive Isotope

Please save us, JJ. Pretty please!

Mara

I want you to be wrong. So does every EU fan in existence. But sadly, chances are you're not wrong. :cry:

Indeed.

But I just have a feeling that these new films are going to contradict the EU canon way more than the other films have. (I'm thinking of the Death Star, where in the novels it's Qui Xu, but in Ep. 2 apparently the Geonosians.)

However, if anyone can make the changes at least bearable, it'd be J.J.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.