Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

Blockbuster and movie rentals

Andy

So, I don't know how Blockbuster is doing in the US, but it has just died a death here... after going into administration for the second time this year. The last stores closing next week.

Does anybody here rent films, and if so how do you go about it?

I have never been one for renting films, but there are so many ways to do it these days that don't involve going outside. My local Blockbuster was the only video rental (or sales) store in town, so now we're pretty much forced to rent online.

TheUnknown

If Blockbuster isn't completely dead here, it's on its last legs.  I don't know what sort of shape Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery are in, but it can't be good.  I still rent films occasionally.  There's a small chain of stores here in Athens called Vision Video that's good about having an eclectic variety that includes TV shows and foreign films.  I guess it helps that this is a college town, though.  I do have a Netflix account as well.

Andy

I think Blockbuster was the last major video rental chain over here... Not sure how independent stores have held up but I can't imagine there are many left.

We have Netflix but the range doesn't seem great, especially on the newest films... I think it is vastly cut down compared to the US version.

Princess

We have Family Video in my area, Blockbuster has been gone for a long time.  Netflix and Hulu are killing video stores

Andy

I think it represents a failure to change with the times, really. Blockbuster was so expensive here that I couldn't justify renting or buying from them. Some of their titles you could buy cheaper elsewhere than you could rent from them for a couple of days.

I used to go in there a lot but rarely bought anything.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.