Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Princess

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Princess

Amazingly, there wasn't a thread for this.

Anywho, I went and saw it in 3D a few weeks ago, and I was disappointed by the 3D. I wanted blaster bolts coming at me and I expected the podrace to be "wizard." It was just "eh" even though the podrace did have the best 3D explosion of the entire movie.

Edited by TheUnknown
Added Tags

Andy

Doesn't surprise me... It's hard enough to make 3D look good in a film without adding it to a film that wasn't intended to be in 3D. :p

James the Defender

It gave the movie depth, which is how 3D was desribed to me to be in a non-animated film. It was my first ever 3D experience and there were two distinct times I remember feeling as if I could reach out and grab something: when the fish came across the screen during the scene where they were swimming to Gunga City and when Maul held the lightstaff out horizontally and lit each end in succession. It was interesting, nonetheless. I was happy to see the movies back on the big screen again. :D

Ana

The best thing for me was the enhanced detail on the big screen. I could tell whether Natalie or Kiera was Amidala by Natalie Portman's cheek mole through the makeup.

• Upvote 2

Andy

I could tell whether Natalie or Kiera was Amidala by Natalie Portman's cheek mole through the makeup.

Spoken like a true nerd. ;)

Ana

Damn straight. *struts*

Ayingel

I've always been able to tell, Ana. The part that pissed me off was that when I called People Magazine out on their mistake, they didn't correct it or send me a letter like they were supposed to.

Pandora

In the theater to see it now. I'm kinda excited.

Pandora

Dammit Lucas. Writers don't read their work because they'll find something they want to change. Stop watching your movies. You got it right the first time. What's up with all the "extras"???

James the Defender

Dammit Lucas. Writers don't read their work because they'll find something they want to change. Stop watching your movies. You got it right the first time. What's up with all the "extras"???

I agree. I hate reading one of the novellas I've written. I always want to change things, especially those I wrote like 10 years ago. I'm like, "GYAH! Stop the madness!" lol

Princess

What did I miss?

Pandora

There's just a couple little things they added that were originally deleted. Nothing really big, but a few times I did go "well that's new". Not sure I could name it all. There's an extra bit when they land on Coruscant that's kinda cute but not really necessary.

Uncle Du

Saw it with Kian this weekend. That marked the 20th time I have seen Ep. I in theaters. :p

That being said, I am glad it was re-released, so Kian could experience it on the big screen. But, the 3D was lame. I think they shoulda just released it as a normal release. I mean, it HAS been 13 years since it was first released. :p

And yea, there was some add-ons, and there was actually a change in some of the audio dubbing. I noticed a couple words here and there, especially with the Neimodians, considering the dubbing for them was never that great any way. Some of the sound effects seemed to lag ever so slightly too. None of the speech did, which would have made sense. So whatever. I knew I had seen it WAY too many times at that point when I started noticing those little mundane things that NO one else would care about.

Funny thing is, I went to a buddy's house later that evening and his daughter was watching it on BluRay, and it looked better than the 3D in the theater. :p

Pandora

Yeah that stuff I didn't notice, but I hadn't seen it in years, to be honest. I think my copy is still packed away somewhere, sadly. :(

Princess

Maybe it was the stuff where I was all "Oh, I didn't remember that"

Pandora

Probably. Lol

Master Hayes

I saw it in 3D and was underwhelmed. I agree with Andy about making a non 3D movie look good in 3D. I didn't notice any new scenes, but I hadn't watched TPM from begining to end in a long time.

TheUnknown

You know, it's been over 14 years since this came out.  I have to say it's undeserving of the sith that gets thrown its way.  It's not the best SW movie, but it's better than Attack of the Clones and possibly even A New Hope.

Andy

I will always stick up for TPM, as without it I probably wouldn't have become a fan when I did. it was th first Star Wars film I saw and although it wasn't the greatest, it was still my first step into a much larger world.

This is one of the reasons why I believe that the sequel trilogy will be good for the fandom as it will bring new fans and a fresh perspective to the franchise, even if we do end up like disgruntled fanboys moaning that the old films are best. ;)

Ayingel

Unknown you shut your face.  I like to believe that I was living at my parent's house and biking to the theater every day just a year or so ago. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.