Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Radioactive Isotope

Final Fantasy Series

Radioactive Isotope

Almost done with FF7. I'm hoping to pick up FF8 in the near future. Any other standouts in the series I should consider? Favorite moments? Discuss.

Andy

FF7 was my favourite, and I enjoyed FF8 a lot, too. :)

Have you played FF10? It was the first one on PS2 and also very good.

I've heard a lot of praise for FF9 as well, but I never got on with it myself.

Some of the older ones are meant to extremely good but I can't remember which and I've not played them all.

Also, I don't think FF13 was as terrible as people say it was.

Uncle Du

I definitely think that 7 was, is, and always will be the greatest. Materia system can't be beat! And JM, if you haven't beat 7 yet, don't read this yet...

Best part in 7 is basically the end (for me), the final boss fight, when you're fighting Sephiroth in his final form (human). It's not really much of a fight, all ya gotta do is hit him once, but the VERY first time I got to this point, I had spent countless hours in the Arena to get Clouds Omnislash, and when you get to that point, Limit Break is automatically maxed. When Cloud gets to pounding Sephiroth, and jumps in the air for his final sword slash, and their eyes meet, holy sith it was EPIC!!! I'm gettin chills just thinking and typing about it! I wanna go play it again!!! *runs off*

Eight was pretty cool, but I never finished it. Gun blades are cool and all, but I just could NOT get into the draw system in this one. Nine was good, but was actually pretty damned easy. It was almost like 9 was an afterthought.

Ten, DEFINITELY a must play (and beat). Awesome story, and really cool system with the Sphere Grid. In ten, if you devote enough time, you can totally unlock all your characters sphere grids, making them all pretty much unstoppable. Combine that with breaking characters max damage and HP limits, and you can have some pretty epic characters. If I'm not mistaken, ten was the first game to break that 9,999 limit. But you have to do some work to get it.

After ten, I didn't really play any more of them. I just don't have the time to devote to 40+hour games any more. Well, I do, but when it comes to FF, I tend to play in 12 hour blocks. :p

Radioactive Isotope

All I have left in 7 is the final dungeon. But I gots Chocobos to race first. World saving can wait. I'm holding off on the battle arena until I get some Tetra Elementals and Quadra Magic materia. Ultima x4 + pretty much every elemental attack healing me = win. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Where are some good places to level grind this close to the end of the game? I'd love to max out my levels and take on the Weapons.

Edited by Radioactive Isotope

Uncle Du

Well, if you want to max materia, the crater is the best place. And actually, I think the crater is the best place for XP as well come to think of it. There are also these little bouncing materia balls that you can fight. They don't give you XP, they only give you AP, which will level your materia. You know that once you max a piece of materia, it replicates itself? One of the best things you could ever do in that game is to get the mime materia and max it twice. Then, you only need one piece of Knights of the Round, and you can pretty much cast it in an infinite chain. That's about the only way you're going to beat Emerald Weapon. But it will also take forever to do, because you have to watch the summons every time, lol.

Also, the battle Arena might be a good place to go because you can also get the Ribbon, which makes whoever wears it immune to all status effects. Definitely valuable. And I take it you're racing chocobos to get your gold one?

Edited by Uncle Du

Uncle Du

Also, how much did you pay for a copy of FFVII??

Radioactive Isotope

Hehe. I got my copy for free courtesy of an ex-boyfriend. At the time I wasn't much of a gamer and I started the game several times, but never could get very far. Had I realized then what a treasure I had, I might have been slightly less pissed when the relationship went south.

Although you can download it from PSN for $9.99.

And yes, I'm racing to get the Gold Chocobo. I've also maxed several materia at this point. Master level All sells for a crapton of gil (1.4 million).

Uncle Du

It's been so long since I played it. I didn't know it was available on the PSN. But, I don't have a PS3 so it doesn't really matter. 'Sides, I just bought it on eBay, lol.

Andy

It seems to be quite cheap on eBay at the moment. Shame, because I have two copies and was going to sell one. :p

Uncle Du

Figures. :p

Got my new/used PS2 yesterday. Played about an hour of 7. Kian actually got into it, though I think he just likes watching me play. When I told him how much better my character would be in twenty hours he lost interest and told me to show him then, lol.

Radioactive Isotope

Kids these days. :p

Well, I beat Ultimate Weapon (after trapsing around the whole dang map to find it. -_- ). I tried to beat Emerald Weapon with the KotR/Mime loop, but it was a resounding fail. I just can't cast that first summon fast enough. Looks like it might be back to the chocobo races (gee, darn :p) for some sprint shoes. My plan for Ruby Weapon is Barret's Missing Score loaded down with mastered KotR and a couple hero drinks. I'm hoping that combo will trigger the damage overflow and kill the beastie in one shot.

Uncle Du

It'll be some time before I'm that far in the game again. I'm about three hours in at this point, and chomping at the bit to get the hell outta Midgar. Which will still not be for like another three hours. :p

Radioactive Isotope

It's amazing how much more sense Advent Children makes now. Not that you watch Advent Children for the convolted plot; you watch for the fight scenes. :p

Uncle Du

I don't even know what convolted means... ;)

Radioactive Isotope

Complicated to the point of insanity.

Uncle Du

LOL.

I just beat the Midgar Zolom at level 19. :D

Radioactive Isotope

Booya! I can't remember what level I was. I didn't get the Elemental Materia in Midgar so I had to wait until I got a Fire Ring. Beta is seriously one of the best enemy skills in the game. I think the only one I use more is Magic Breath.

Uncle Du

I had a wicked good set-up. Had the elemental with fire and the enemy skill on Barret, with a talisman, so his Spirit was really high. Cool thing is, if you poison him, then wait your turns, when it's health drops below 1500 it won't hit you with Beta till you attack him. I waited till his health was around 400, then I hit him with Clouds Climhazzard, then he countered with Beta, I learned it, Barret survived, and Tifa had been knocked out. I countered with Beta and he was dead.

Andy

*throws a Phoenix Down on this thread*

The FF7 remake (or at least part one) is coming out next year, but before that we have FF8 remastered coming later this year, apparently!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.