Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Princess

Fate of the Jedi: Ascension

Princess

As Luke and Ben Skywalker pursue the formidable dark-side being Abeloth, the Lost Tribe of the Sith is about to be sundered by an even greater power—which will thrust one Dark Lord into mortal conflict with his own flesh-and-blood.
On Coruscant, a political vacuum has left tensions at the boiling point, with factions racing to claim control of the Galactic Alliance. Suddenly surrounded by hidden agendas, treacherous conspiracies, and covert Sith agents, the Jedi Order must struggle to keep the GA government from collapsing into anarchy.

The Jedi are committed to maintaining peace and ensuring just rule, but even they are not prepared to take on the combined threats of Sith power, a deposed dictator bent on galaxywide vengeance, and an entity of pure cunning and profound evil hungry to become a god.

Edited by Princess
Added Tags

Princess

Why are the first few chapters all dedicated to the Sith? Ugh

Drake

There is a good reason for it and the result is satisfying.

Princess

Okay, the book is getting better. Though Golden has a habit of having Jaina call Luke, "Luke"

Drake

I didn't really notice it.

Princess

I finished it last night but I'll post my thoughts tomorrow

Princess

So, some parts just felt "eh" like Golden was rushing parts and didn't know the characters well enough to write them well and how they're supposed to be written. I know that Abeloth was Roki Kem almost right away, especially when she killed the Grand Lord of the Sith. I was also disappointed that Vestara so seemed to want to be a Jedi but when push came to shove, she instantly went back to the ways of the Sith. I almost felt a similarity between Vestara and Luke when Vestara was forced to kill her father and when Vader turned on the Emperor and was redeemed.

I can't keep track of all the freaking conspiracy theories in this series

Drake

I was hoping for some kind of redemption for her father. Something that would actually push her to the light side. Just killing him doesn't seem like it would be a catalyst for such a transition. I guess that's why they had her writing those letters. I also agree about her returning to the dark side so easily. It felt like a colossal let-down and a terrible cliffhanger. With that said, though, I'm still optimistic about her going back again in the next book.

Mad Wook

Thought it was one of the best books in FOTJ. I was impressed by the manipulation of our feelings Golden pulled off by making us think Vestara was redeemed. Made it a kick in the teeth when she turned on Natua.

Radioactive Isotope

Finished it last night.

This book was definitely better than Golden's previous contributions. But stuff still bugs me. She seems to have a food obsession. Vestara seems like a very inconsistent character. It may be deliberate or it may be Golden sucks at characterization. And grammar. And what's up with Ben smacking Vestara around? Seems very out of character for him, and the next instant they're all lovey dovey with each other. And I have to say the book took a hard turn into WTF?! territory near the end.

Although I did like the Barabels running loose on the Sith. That cracked me up.

EDIT: Luke's characterization throughout the series is also bothering me. He's completely prejudiced against Vestara initially, and granted, she's Sith. But by this point in the mythos, Luke should be a little more flexible in his views and realize that no being is completely good or completely evil. The whole interaction between Luke and the Sith was very flat and dogmatic. Even with Vestara pointing out how there are many similarities between Sith and Jedi, Luke's stubbornly insisting they're all evil instead of acknowledging that sometimes the two sides are more alike than they care to admit.

And then he goes and hands Coruscant to the Sith so the Jedi can go chase Abeloth. For a Jedi farmboy who is often portrayed as a bit naive, he's awfully canny. Ves seems to have a point about him being more Sith than he wants to admit. One thing I've always loved about Luke is his unyielding optimism. But for him to descend into deceptions and complex schemes bothers me. It's not Luke. I would expect someone like Kyp or Corran to be the brains behind such an operation. Don't get me wrong, I love an anti-hero as much as the next girl. But I want my Luke Skywalker to be a paragon of good. I want him to win because he's the good guy, not because he out gambitted the bad guy. Remind us what a Jedi Grand Master is capable of as an unstoppable force for the light side. Luke's already had his walk on the dark side (badly, I might add). He doesn't need to do it again 30+ years later.

I could go on, but I'm already getting angry.

Edited by Radioactive Isotope

Drake

I don't think Luke is unaware of what's going on behind-the-scenes on Coruscant. It seems more like he's letting all his enemies gather in one place to strike en masse with the full force (pun intended) of the Jedi.

James the Defender

Without looking at the rest of the comments--which was tough--I just got it from the library and had to stop reading about 30 pages in, sick of the Sith storyline. I'll pick it up after I've refueled by meditating on the Force and getting rid of the images of Khai killing Tikk. That animal did not deserve to die...

James the Defender

I just finished it. I have to give a roaring round of applause to Christie Golden. Although I agree with everyone about her terrible characterization, grammar, and forgetfullness (Allana has RED hair, you dolt, not black), she has come a long, long way from Omen. Allies was so terrible I chose not to read it, but I actually found myself enraptured with this book. I simply couldn't put it down after she finally got past the Sith part in the beginning.

I abhor her characterization of Luke. Of all the characters she writes, he feels the most un-like himself: distant, overly dogmatic, too quick to respond.

I was devestated when Vestara realized she would always be a Sith. I hope this proves untrue.

There were still horrible inconsistencies, too numerous to mention or remember, but this book was far better than her other two. I loved all the conspiricies and how the Bwua'tu Club was formed and how Treen's blew apart. And the one thing which really bothered me was the "suicide" of Jaxton. That was awful. He was too cowardly to take a shot at the general, really? That struck dischord with me, greatly.

Her characterizations of Jag and Wynn were incredible, and I do hope Wynn survives; he's a great charcter. I hope Pocket is alive, too.

With that being, said, however, I'm still looking forward to another writer. IMHO, I think Allston should have done all nine books, even though that would have been impossible for him, but I must admit, I have a bias toward his writing. I found no fewer than three instances in Conviction where I read a part to my wife and a part from my past fanfics and the resemblance was uncanny she would tell you.

At any rate, Ascension caught and held my attention, even as much as I severely dislike Sith.

And it left me wanting absurd amounts of coffee! How many times can caf be mentioned in one book?!

Princess

I believe that the Solo's dye Allana's hair to make her resemblance to Tenel Ka less noticeable

James the Defender

That could be true, since you jog my memory now. IMHO, it needed to be restated just for clarification purposes. No fault of her's then. So the book becomes slightly better.

James the Defender

Even HK series droids needed to say "clarification," lol. #KOTOR

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.