Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Princess

The Truce at Bakura

Princess

No sooner has Darth Vader's funeral pyre burned to ashes on Endor than the Alliance intercepts a call for help from a far-flung Imperial outpost. Bakura is on the edge of known space and the first to meet the Ssi-ruuk, cold-blooded reptilian invaders who, once allied with the now dead Emperor, are approaching Imperial space with only one goal: total domination. Princess Leia sees the mission as an opportunity to achieve a diplomatic victory for the Alliance. But it assumes even greater importance when a vision of Obi-Wan Kenobi appears to Luke Skywalker with the message that he must go to Bakura—or risk losing everything the Rebels have fought so desperately to achieve.

Even as the Alliance arrives, the aliens have almost overcome the Bakura Imperial garrison, whose desperate commander will accept help from any quarter—even Rebel—against an insidious foe that enslaves Human minds to pilot their invincible machines of war and destruction.

While marshalling the tattered Imperial forces, Luke, Han Solo, and Princess Leia must win the trust and cooperation of the Bakurans. For although Imperial Governor Nereus has granted the Rebels temporary amnesty there is the possibility of treachery among those whose first allegiance lies with the Empire.

On the eve of the final explosive onslaught, Rebel and Imperial forces must finally come to terms with each other…or lose the entire galaxy to the hideous servitude promised by a victorious alien enemy.

Capturing the sweep and excitement of the original Star Wars saga, The Truce at Bakura plants a seed of hope for peace, sees the formation of a timeless love, and stands witness to a Jedi's undying sacrifice to defend Humanity against an alien nemesis.

Jake Durron

I remember loving this book! Don't really remember all that happened in it but I remember loving it!

Bad furday

I've started re-reading it last night. I think i'll keep a notebook handy to mark page numbers with notable bits :)

Jake Durron

Well... I didn't get paid what I hoped so I might be a while starting until I get back to roc to my copy or until I can find a used book store!

Sin

My coworkers were amazed that I was reading a real book and not my kindle today, made it though the first chapter and hope to have the rest done by the weekend!

Anakin Solo - Potted Plant

My first thought, is being reminded just how disturbing I found entechment. The graphic detail of it in the second chapter disturbed me when I first read it years ago when I was a kid and still disturbs me now. I'm not exactly sure why it is so disturbing. I am not at all disturbed by much more grotesque things. I think the way the kid who uses the force is sort of brainwashed, the creepy way he thinks it's a good thing for the victims, while the author makes it clear that it is not. The way he tries to calm them down, telling them it will make them happier. Their panic and fear, and then their energy being trapped inside a machine. I think the creepy factor of the scene, at least for me, is just how well she wrote it. Clearly she wanted you to think it was disturbing, and for me at least, she did a very good job. I also noticed, again, that the book is written much more like scifi compared to many other Star Wars novels, which are much more space opera/fantasy.

Princess

I agree with you Anakin. It's amazing how hypnotized Dev is that he thinks that the scream is just a response and not true agony from an instant death.

I loved the imagery in the opening paragraph of the book, describing how peaceful Endor's Sanctuary Moon is after the galaxy changing events that just happened there. Then when Wedge is keeping the probe from self-destructing, you can really see how deep Wedge and Luke's friendship goes when Luke is saving Wedge after Luke nearly died himself and how much trust Wedge has in Luke's abilities.

Random thought: Does Kathy Tyers have something against using vowels? Stringing together a bunch of consonants does not make an alien term or name, it just makes it unpronounceable.

When Obi-Wan appears as a Force apparition to Luke, why does he seem so gruff, it seems so out of character.

I know we need to understand what the aliens are saying, but why are alien languages always translated to "basic" when we're reading, except for Chewie and R2?

(I seem to have come up with more questions than regular discussion while reading this)

This is the only star wars novel that I've seen mention a soul. I know that Jedi become one with the Force when they die, but this is the first and only reference that I remember seeing about a soul and other people worrying about the afterlife. Why don't more authors talk about it? Or do they not want to get into the whole afterlife debate?

Sin

My fav thing about this book was how Luke and Leia came to and understanding about who their father was and that they are now siblings

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.