Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Bad furday

Star Wars on Blu-ray!

Bad furday

It's finally here....and available for pre-order!

http://io9.com/5726936/the-complete-star-wars-blu+ray-set-is-loaded-with-special-features-and-ready-for-pre+order

Watch the advert they've made for it....looking great!

Ana

... well, I guess there goes my vow of not conforming to evil Blu-Ray. Now I just have to see about getting a player.

Andy

I love Blu-ray, but I'm not so thrilled about this release. I doubt there will be any major difference in picture quality, except for RotS and possibly AotC. The original trilogy is too old to have been remastered to current HD quality.

And the lightsabers in the RotJ clips still look rubbish. *sigh*

jedimaster1043

The originals are going to look terrible in HD.

Bad furday

I'd absolutely love to see Christopher Walken's screen test as Han Solo as an extra. :p :lol:

Ayingel

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to see that...

Princess

Apparently the annoucement crashed the servers today. I still don't wanna get a BluRay player though, I like my $30 DVD players

Radioactive Isotope

If you or someone you know has a PS3, it plays BluRays.

Bad furday

*raises his paw* :D :p

Princess

Why can't Wii play BluRay?

Bad furday

If I remember, the Wii doesn't play regular DVD's either :p

samusaran253

Now I have to buy a PS3.

Ayingel

They just released an app last night for the iPad that has some of the special features from the Blu-Rays in it. We got rid of our iPad, so IDK how much it costs...

Bad furday

http://io9.com/5823715/surprise-sizzle-reel-for-the-deleted-scenes-from-star-wars-original-trilogy

:D Containing scenes you've heard and Haven't heard about! :D

Ayingel

So it has some hipster scenes?

Bad furday

Bought it yesterday! :D The packaging is unusual- it's like the BluRay Discs are packed in a small book, and the book has super thick pages. There's also a booklet in the back that tells what's on the 3 bonus discs. Been working my way through the bonus features for Episodes 4-6 at the moment. The alternate cut of the Luke in the Hoth Infirmary scene had me cackling-I can see why they chose an alternate take, but this one still brings out the personality of the characters well.

In the art/prop galleries, they have video commentaries on several pieces, so that's quite informative. And close ups of some of the costumes/props - I had no idea just how banged up R2 really was! And seeing the Tusken Raider mask close up, as well as the Jawa- great!

It'll take a while to get through all of the features. :p

Princess

Crud, I might have to go get this now

Pandora

Yeah saw an ad for it on tv the other day. I told Daniel I might be ready to save up for the blu-ray player I refused to get so we could get the Star Wars set. Sigh.

Winters

I'm not exactly open to George Lucas' Revisionist Star Wars.

Radioactive Isotope

Me neither. But I want the special features.

It's even being advertised in Japan. One of the anime shows I'm currently watching had an ad for the BluRay set at the end. That was a bit surreal, lol.

Andy

From what I gather from reading internet comments, you're either one of the following:

Option A: Not a true fan because you refuse to buy the BluRay editions.

Option B: Not a true fan because you bought the BluRay editions.

I caved in and got it early today. :p

I have to say that RotS looks amazing in HD. AotC also looked better, but they were both shot digitally so that shouldn't be a surprise. I couldn't decide whether TPM looked better or not, so I might have to do a comparison viewing. :p

The classic trilogy obviously don't benefit from the higher resolution of the HD format, and I wish they had touched up some of the effects a bit more - most notably the lightsabers in ANH look a little dodgy still. I was pleased to see that they fixed the glitched lightsabers in RotJ, and got rid of that weird black blob on the Emperor's hood.

As for the changed scenes? I'm not bothered either way. They certainly don't "ruin my childhood" as other people have described it as doing.

Pandora

From what I gather from reading internet comments, you're either one of the following:

Option A: Not a true fan because you refuse to buy the BluRay editions.

Option B: Not a true fan because you bought the BluRay editions.

I just don't want to buy a Blu-Ray player. :p

Radioactive Isotope

Psst! A PS3 doubles as a BluRay player. So don't buy a BluRay player. Buy a game system. :D

Pandora

But I don't want a PS3 either. I don't even have time to play the XBox 360 that I have...

Princess

You know, the "NO!" added to ROTJ doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would because it shows some emotion after seconds of Vader staring back and forth between his Master and his son

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.