Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Droids: Male and Female?

Andy

Can droids really be male or female?

I don't think so. They can have personalties, but not be of actual sexes.

eg:

C-3PO has a male personality (sort-of...) but he isn't actually male (I won't go into details...)

If droids did have sexes, then where would you class an Imperial Probe droid. It's still a droid, but it's not male or female. You can't have a rule for some droids and another rule for other droids.

(some people may want to bare my opinons in mind when using other threads..... :D )

Doc Ani Jade

Well, in theoruy there are some basic personlaity differneces between sexes, so they could program droids like that...

where do you come up witht these threads, aanyway?

Bad furday

Well, it seems droids are male or female according to the personality programed into them. Others are androgenous(sp) because

a. They can't speak a language known to other beings (Artoo's beeps)

b. It wouldn't matter, as a defined gender wouldn't help or hinder productivety, so it's left out.

c. Not knowing what something is inspires fear. Take the interrogation droid for example. Because it doesn't have a face or something we can relate to, it's scarrier that it actually is.

The Probe droid doesn't need a gender, as it's job is to gain information and intimidate others. It's basically a tool. You don't call your electric toothbrush a him or her, so neither should that droid need a gender.

Andy

All droids are tools, technically.

Doc Ani Jade

You don't call your electric toothbrush a him or her

Well, maybe you don't... 8)

Some droids were created as male/female. Serving droids, nanny droids, etc. have to have a gender...well some at least.

Andy

Yes but you could just change the sound of the voice of a prtocol droid and there you have it: Instant sex change...

Bad furday

It's in our nature to give things a title or group, and that's why we feel compelled to give droids genders. It feels more natural to say

"E4 hit his dome" and not "E4 hit its dome".

Sticks

I think a lot of droids have a boyish/girlish personality that kinda implies their intended sex, but that's just my opinion...

Pandora

Like Beeurd said, if you want to get really technical...

Jake Durron

Yes but you could just change the sound of the voice of a prtocol droid and there you have it: Instant sex change...

Does that mean that if I could put you in armour and change your voice...

Nevermind...

:D

darthraptor52

Droids are given "genders" to make them more human like and make their master feel more comfortable...I guess ;)

Starstripe

Droids are machines, they have no genders. However, we name them and behave towrds them in certain ways, like we do vessels. "She's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less then twelve parsecs..." "I told him not to do it. Please don't deactivate me." So, I guess they behave in ways that are congruese(sp?) with what they are called

Admiral Daala

:smilecolros: i read somewhere that R2D2 was male and fell in love with a droid a girl droid

Rogue

That was on Jedi Punks...he fell in love with Guri...

Rogue

It's in our nature to give things a title or group, and that's why we feel compelled to give droids genders. It feels more natural to say  

"E4 hit his dome" and not "E4 hit its dome".

E4:Beep beep tweetle

No, E4, I'm sure Furday didn't mean to sy that you're clumsey...he was trying to prove a point.

Andy

lol

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.