Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

jedimaster1043

Recomend Me Some SW Books

jedimaster1043

What I've read:

1. Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (Loved)

2.Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Loved)

3. Shatterpoint (Loved)

4. Medstar I: Battle Surgeons

5. Medstar II: Jedi Healer

6. The Cestus Deception

7. Republic Commando: Triple Zero

8. X-Wing: Rogue Squadron

9. X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble

10. X-Wing: The Kryptos Trap

11. X-Wing: The Bacta War

12. X-Wing: Wraith Squadron

13. X-Wing: Iron Fist

14. Jedi Academy: Jedi Search (Loved)

15. Jedi Academy: Dark Apprentice (Loved)

16. Jedi Academy: Champions of the Force (Loved)

17. Before The Storm (Hated)

18. Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Shadow (Hated)

19. New Jedi Order: Vector Prime

20. New Jedi Order: Rebel Dream (Loved)

What books would you suggest I read? I've heard a lot of good things about The New Jedi Order and The Legacy of the Force. Would I be able to pick only some of the series within the New Jedi Order, or would I be lost if I don't read all of them from the beginning?\

Thanks

Princess

I'd keep going through the NJO. There's a lot of good reading in there

jedimaster1043

Thats 20 books though :(

well, I'll give it a shot

I heard the Thrawn trilogy is amazing, so I'll try that one first. Three books sounds a little better than 20 books.

jedimaster1043

Thats 20 books though :(

well, I'll give it a shot

I heard the Thrawn trilogy is amazing, so I'll try that one first. Three books sounds a little better than 20 books.

Would it be ok to skip some of the NJO, or would I just be confused?

Princess

You'd be a little confused

Master Hayes

I'd say you should read them ALL! Even the ones that everyone here knows aren't that good. Then you'll be a die hard fan. :nutty:

Ender

20 books that go very quickly. Besides, reading is GOOD FOR YOU. the only time complaining about reading is necessary is when it's school-related.

Bad furday

I love to read.

Read all of the Clone Commando novels, then Order 66, and Imperial Commandos 501st . You'll hate the Jedi by the time you're done..and see things from a clone's point of view...one that even the average citizen of the Star Wars galaxy doesn't see.

I'd also recommend book 2 of the Coruscant Nights series. I think it was the best of the trilogy.

The Courtship of Princess Leia was very enjoyable. Not only because it's one of the rare stand alone novels, but you see more of the day to day goings on in the SW universe, which adds just a bit more realness to it all. I find it addictive - ie: I'll go to the book to find a paragraph about something, and before I realise it, I've read 50 pages. :p

Chickenman

Read the sith out of the NJO series, then do it again, then books after that. Also, finish the X-Wing novels (you haven't even read Solo Command, tsk.) and Republic Commando.

Andy

I think you could safely miss the 'paperback's of the NJO without being too confused. But you would miss a lot of good stories.

The hardback editions were:

Vector Prime

Balance Point

Star By Star

Destiny's Way

The Unifying Force

The NJO changed so much that it is pretty much required reading for anything set after it in the timeline.

It might be about 20 books, but at least you won'#t run out of something to read for a while. ;)

Mara

Since you've read Path of Destruction, I would recommend you read the rest of the Darth Bane trilogy. Rule of Two is a little bland, but worth it to get to Dynasty of Evil, which is awesome.

Also, read the Thrawn trilogy and the Thrawn duology by Zahn.

Chickenman

I think you could safely miss the 'paperback's of the NJO without being too confused. But you would miss a lot of good stories.

Vector Prime

Balance Point

Star By Star

Destiny's Way

The Unifying Force

I sort of agree, but then you miss the Enemy Lines duology, which had one of my favorite combat campaigns in all of Star Wars (and, obviously, Wraith Squadron) and of course Traitor.

Edited by Chickenman

Radioactive Isotope

Traitor may be a paperback, but I would say it's crucial enough to the series after NJO that you probably shouldn't skip it. And it's easily the best book in the series.

Chickenman

Possibly of the mythos.

Andy

Vector Prime

Balance Point

Star By Star

Destiny's Way

The Unifying Force

I sort of agree, but then you miss the Enemy Lines duology, which had one of my favorite combat campaigns in all of Star Wars (and, obviously, Wraith Squadron) and of course Traitor.

Hence why I said "But you would miss a lot of good stories." :p

Chickenman

Hence why I pointed out some of those stories. :p

Andy

Hence why... err... SHUT UP!

*runs away*

Emperor Fel I

I skipped most of the NJO except for the major ones. I still understand most of everything. But the Legacy of the Force is something which you do not want to skip.

James the Defender

I hope you read Traitor...I've read it 4 times, myself. It's easily my favorite SW book...besides those I've written, of course :p

I don't like many authors in the SW universe, and I've discovered why...those I don't like don't know how to write good dialogue. Everyday life is not narrated. Our everyday lives are in dialogue. Dialogue adds richness and life to books and if dialogue is not done well, it can detract from the overall pleasure of the book. Poor dialogue can make characters wooden, stiff, two-dimensional (e.g., The Courtship of Princess Leia or any of Christie Golden's books.) Good dialogue is done by a few authors: Aaron Allston, Troy Denning, Matthew Stover, to name a few.

Edited by James the Defender

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.