Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

jedimaster1043

Legacy or New Jedi Order?

jedimaster1043

Should I start reading Legacy of the Force, the New Jedi Order, or something else?

Princess

You need to read the NJO in order to understand parts of LOTF

Ender

NJO is far superior in any case.

Mara

If you haven't read any EU books, I would go even farther back then the NJO, to at least the Truce at Bakura, if you want to start right after Episode 6.

Drake

I never read anything before the Jedi Academy Trilogy and I got along just fine. Internet research is a wonderful thing.

Emperor Fel I

I believe that the Legacy of the Force was much better. I skipped every book except for Star by Star, the Unifying Force and the Dark Journey and understood most of everything. Wookiepedia is awesome. The Legacy of the Force was AWESOME!

Ender

I believe that the Legacy of the Force was much better. I skipped every book except for Star by Star, the Unifying Force and the Dark Journey and understood most of everything. Wookiepedia is awesome. The Legacy of the Force was AWESOME!

Well then, you missed out on the best book of the entire series, Traitor.

Emperor Fel I

Well then, you missed out on the best book of the entire series, Traitor.

Wait, I did read that :D, Its just been a long time...

Master Hayes

I never read anything before the Jedi Academy Trilogy and I got along just fine. Internet research is a wonderful thing.

Drake I hope that you've read the Thrawn trilogy by now. Those were really good books.

As far as NJO or LotF, the NJO was a much better series. The LotF was ok, and it felt like they just rewrote everything about Anakin Skywalker and inserted Jacen Solo in his place, but that's just my opinion.

Emperor Fel I

The Grand Admiral Thrawn Trilogy was one of the greatest series of Star Wars.

Ender

You, sir, are quite hyperbolic.

Chickenman

I actually point people to the first book of the NJO. It's a good starting place. I basically tell them that Luke Skywalker has refounded the Jedi Order and the Empire's gotten it's ass kicked and then send my friends on their way. Bantam's run was like a sitcom series. Something big happens to change everything and then everything's the same the next book. Del Rey's run is much more like a serial drama. You really aren't getting everything out of the books if you don't read them in order.

And I really disagree with telling someone to start at Truce at Bakura and read 21 years worth of continuity before getting to the NJO.

Emperor Fel I

Thrawn was awesome. He was the Napoleon of Star Wars (except he never lost). He could have taken over the galaxy if he wanted to.

Mara

I prefer to read in context instead of using Wookieepedia for everything. *shrug*

And honestly, after reading the Thrawn trilogy and discovering there were a lot more books, I started with the Han Solo trilogy, not Truce at Bakura. :p

But I'm a chronology buff.

Chickenman

Thrawn was awesome. He was the Napoleon of Star Wars (except he never lost). He could have taken over the galaxy if he wanted to.

To my recollection, Thrawn lost numerous times, but he'd make victories terribly costly for the New Republic. And also, he didn't exactly win the last one.

I prefer to read in context instead of using Wookieepedia for everything. *shrug*

And honestly, after reading the Thrawn trilogy and discovering there were a lot more books, I started with the Han Solo trilogy, not Truce at Bakura. :p

But I'm a chronology buff.

As am I, but the writers tend to do a good job filling you in on what you missed, and again, the various books from the 90s were more or less episodic anyway.

Mara

I think they're just as worth reading (at least most of them) as the NJO is.

Princess

But if someone is asking between 2 series, you don't tell someone to read every book ever made first

Mara

I believe he asked, NJO, Legacy or "SOMETHING ELSE," a third option.

James the Defender

I'd start with the NJO. Those were the first SW books I read. I then went back in time, read the Thrawn Trilogy and Aaron Allston's X-wing books. I tried to read Stackpole's, but for some reason I just put them down...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.