Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Ana

Celebration V

Radioactive Isotope

*squee!* i'm definitely going to try to save up money for this. i might even be able to get hubs to go. :D

Andy

Unfortunately it is unlikely that I will be able to afford this... :(

Although, if I am reading correctly that it is in Florida I may attempt to stretch my budget a little... xD

Ender

I hate Orlando with a vengeance.

Bad furday

aww :( Well I'm definitely going to try and go to this one :D

And it's just four days Ender! Just four days! :p

Bad furday

This linky may help...info on close hotels to the convention centre

http://www.orangecountyconventioncenterhotels.com

Though they said that hotel info and pricing would be up on the official convention site within a few weeks...I have been spying on conversations at The Rebel Legion and many members have booked rooms already.

I think it would be cool to live in the same hotel, but that's just me. :p

( The Rosen Centre hotel, or the Red Roof Inn Orlando Convention Center, or the Clarion Inn and Suites Orlando seems like a good choice...near the convention centre and all. I'm thinking about not bothering to rent a car, as last time at C3, we spend most of the time at the con, or walking around the place.)

Edited by Bad furday

Andy

I'm thinking about not bothering to rent a car, as last time at C3, we spend most of the time at the con, or walking around the place.

Me and Ana had some nice drives to places while we were at C4 lol

Radioactive Isotope

If hubs and I go, we'll probably drive.

Bad furday

I forgot that, B. :)

Well... *looks*

The Clarion offers free shuttle rides to Universal Studios, and Walt Disney World Resort, while the Rosen offers complimentary shuttles to Sea World, Universal Orland, and Wet'n'Wild <-- :???::hehe:;)

Just a thought. I guess the reason I'm pushing for these three hotels listed are because they're literally a parking lot away from the convention center, and will likely sell out fast the longer we wait.

My theory is that it would be less of a monetary penalty to reserve a room now and if one discovered they were not able to go, then cancel it, than to buy a plane ticket ( for those who are flying) and cancel that

Edited by Bad furday

Mara

I'd love to go, but dunno if I could afford it. :/

Too bad it's not Tampa; I have a cousin there, haha.

Bad furday

A co-worker and an old friend of mine seem interested in going, so this could be interesting. :p :)

Ana

I'm thinking about not bothering to rent a car, as last time at C3, we spend most of the time at the con, or walking around the place.

But our hotel was in a crap part of town, and we kinda had to drive somewhere if we wanted something to eat besides El Pollo Loco. I've no idea what the area surrounding the Orlando convention center's like.

Same hotel would definitely be nice, though. Doing a group adventure outside the Con would be awesome fun.

Andy

But our hotel was in a crap part of town, and we kinda had to drive somewhere if we wanted something to eat besides El Pollo Loco.

This is true.

Bad furday

Same hotel would definitely be nice, though. Doing a group adventure outside the Con would be awesome fun.

Sea World, baby! :D:p;)

We can see Shamu IV, or whatever his name is now :p

Princess

I want to go, but we'll have to see what the finances say. Prinny is getting very broke right now

Bad furday

So, decisions on a hotel yet, anyone? ;):)

Also...this time I pledge to be more of a team player :p :shifty:

Ana

Whichever's cheapest. :p

Come on people, we gotta book now if we want to be in the same hotel!

Whaddya mean, more of a team player this time?

Bad furday

Alright, I'll run through some numbers tonight, and see what's what. :p

yeah, last time, I sort of wandered off and the group lost me. :p :shifty:

Bad furday

From the link I listed earlier in this thread, the rates of the hotels are as follows, if one sets the specs to checking in on the 11th, and leaving the 16th. Also, I have used room occupancy as 1 in all examples.

The Rosen Centre $170 a night - $850 total

Clarion Inn and Suites International Drive $139.99 a night - 699.99 total

On Orbitz, the prices are

Clarion Inn and Suites International Drive $127.99 a night ( 1 king bed, nonsmoking) - $639.95 total Also within walking distance of the Center, but not as close as the Rosen.

On Orbitz, the Rosen Center rates stay the same.

The EconoLodge Inn & Suites would be $34.99 a night ( 1 king bed no smoking) - $174.95 total. The trade off being that it's 3/4 of a mile from the convention centre. Even car pooling, at least two of us would need to have transport to carry everyone.

The Sleep Inn at Convention Center. $63.99 a night - $319.95 total. It bills itself as "within walking distance to the Orange County Convention Center" and they're right..sort of. We'd have to walk across the toll-way to get there via the shortest route. Which brings us back to carpool/rental again.

The Red Roof Inn Convention Center appeared to be completely filled for the dates I had selected ( Aug 11th -16th.)

Anyone else got anything so far?

Ana

Again I'd point out how much cheaper it'd be to share rooms. Also, I have a AAA card, and most hotels give reduced rates for that.

For example, I checked out the Clarion prices... one king nonsmoking on AAA is $125.99 a night. And a two-queen suite (plus pull-out couch) is $161.99. I'm sure it's a similar case at the others.

In terms of preference, I don't really have one...

Bad furday

As much as I like the closeness of the Rosen Center, there are no special room deals for AAA members.

I also realise that it would be better to pick something less expensive for everyone. I was all for the Clarion, but another look at the hotel list has shown that the Days Inn Convention Centre Int'l Drive is far cheaper, and not that much farther than the Clarion. It too has free transport to places like Sea World, Universal Orlando, etc. It's only 2 stars :p

However, it's only $52.99 a night - total $264.95 - $175 total for AAA members.

So... questionable hotel for much less (it's also a bit smaller...we might not all get in the longer we wait) or more upscale hotel for a bit more ( you get what you pay for and all that). Both hotels are located in the Hawaiian Ct, so the difference in location isn't that much.

There appear to be restaurants located near the hotels, and thus... some rooms in the Clarion have refrigerators and microwaves, but in the Days Inn, those cost extra.

I'm still for the Clarion, but if that's not within everyone's range, Days Inn it is.

Let's try to get this figured out by tomorrow/tonight, so that within the next day or so, we can all have the reservations made.

So...

1 for Clarion.

So say we all? ;)

Ana

I vote Clarion. B and I did el cheapo for C4, and on the last day the shower knob fell off. :p

Bad furday

It was an ominous warning to go upscale next time ;):p

Ok, it looks like Clarion it is!

I'll reserve a room within today (after i wake up from work) or tomorrow morning.

And, just to make sure not to forget this important bit, everyone who is going, or knows they can make it, or thinks they are pretty sure they can make it :p , don't forget to order your pass from the official convention site soonish. :)

Radioactive Isotope

isn't there a Holiday Inn close? I've always had great experiences staying there and it's very reasonably priced.

Chickenman

Drat it. Celebration VI, definitely.