Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Texting While Driving PSA

Drake

Warning: Video is kinda graphic!

Edited by Drake

Andy

Saw that the other day. British public awareness campaigns do tend to be a bit graphic when it comes to driving offences.

And, FYI using your phone while driving (unless it's via a hands-free kit) is an offence over here, carrying a fine of up to ?1000 (~US$1600) and get you 3 points on your licence.

Not sure how you do it anywhere else, but here in the UK, driving offences will accumulate 'endorsement points' which stay on your licence for 4 years. Once you reach 12 points you get banned from driving.

If you have an accident while talking on the phone, it'll most likely void your insurance too. So there's an incentive to not do it. :p

Uncle Du

The U.S. really needs to crack down on that. I know New York has banned talking without a hands free while driving, but they've even become more lax about it. Hell, my Mom even talks and drives still and will go so far as to say, "Oh, I gotta go honey, I see a cop!" Come on Mom! :p

Radioactive Isotope

I only text if my car is stopped. Plenty of studies have shown cell phone use while driving is as bad or worse than driving drunk. Of course my argument is you can put the phone down. Still, there are responsible ways to use a phone while driving. Hands-free is one option (although I've heard of studies that say the hands-free isn't any better). Personally, when I talk on my phone in the car, I'm barely paying attention to the coversation; my focus is on the road. And there have been nights I might not have made it home without someone talking to me keeping me awake. I dislike blanket legislation since it punishes those of us who are responsible. Still this is a huge problem and something does need to be done about it. I just don't know what.

• Upvote 1

Bad furday

I don't own a cellphone...who'd call me? :p:(

But yes.... New York outlawed talking on a cellphone while driving...which I think is a good thing, if you saw the way people drive around here. :p

But they're now lax...I see people on the interstate weaving around, as they try to talk and drive at the same time. I can only imagine what they'd do if they were

texting.

Driving a car is a privilege ( the state deems you able enough to control a multi-thousand pound vehicle, and not use it as a weapon, nor endanger yourself or others) and ...I'm not sure where I'm going with this. :p I think my point is that when driving, most of your attention should be on the road ahead, and the other cars around you, not trying to hit the correct keys for a text message, while drinking your latte ( from Starbucks :p ) (Tall! ) and trying to accurately judge the distance between yourself and the car infront or behind you.

*steps out from behind the podium* ;) :p

Uncle Du

I dislike blanket legislation since it punishes those of us who are responsible.

That's the thing though. Even responsible drivers have accidents, using a phone or not. And like you said, talking on the phone while driving has been proven to be even more dangerous. Even with "responsible" use. But really, we can't judge how "good" we are when talking on the phone and driving. We might think that we're not driving any differently, when in reality, we are. Legislation like that is needed.

We have DUI laws now, whereas 20-30 years ago, there wasn't really any, and there was no severe punishment if there even was a law. I used to think that having 2 or 3 beers (which believe me, I can handle) and then driving was no big deal. But it is. I think it's the same with being on the phone while driving. There is a need for that blanket legislation, to protect people on the road. Some might see it as some sort of inconvenience, but if it's really that important to take a call, or be in touch with someone while your on the road, then where's the harm in pulling over and doing it?

Mara

Saw that a few days ago. I wish people had more common sense.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.