Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Du

Swine Flu

Uncle Du

Everyone begin to freak out....NOW. :p

Drake

Shut down the freaking borders. I don't want that crap in my country.

James the Defender

I was just about to point that out :p

And, Du, the most cases have been reported in NYC...that's too close to us for my comfort...

Chickenman

Yeah. :nerves:

I wouldn't say this is quite the new bird flu. Bird flu never really became a problem in the US, but we were told to prepare for the upcoming pandemic by the media our old friends in the Bush Administration, who've never been fear mongers. While at the same time, it was just kind of laughed about. By contrast, this one has already had a large number of cases in America's largest city.

*Shrug* I'm sure it'll probably blow over, like most of these scares, but eh.

James the Defender

I hope

And H1N1 sounds like an R2 unit, lol

Edited by James the Defender

Radioactive Isotope

the closest it is to me is Ohio. it is comforting to hear most US cases have been mild.

and here they thought bird flu was going to kill us all.

Winters

Honestly, I doubt it'll become a problem, the only reason why Mexico has reported deaths is because of the poor quality of their environment (Mexico City, in the summer, it rains poop...), the lack to medical access, and the bad quality of their healthcare system, not to mention their lack of non-drug wealth.

In 1st world countries, we'll be ok.

Uncle Du

Definitely. It's going to take more than a form of influenza to wipe us out.

And I'm really not surprised about there being more cases in NYC than anywhere else. The population density is so great, and it's not the cleanest place in the world either. And, it's a large center for commerce, so the ability to pass on exotic contagions is higher. Think I'll be alright here. Good luck finding Belle Vernon on a map. ;)

Without using Google. :p

Princess

Just don't go kissing any pigs

Uncle Du

Don't need to worry about that. :p

Apparently there's a guy that my friend is stationed with who was vacationing in Mexico, and now they won't let him leave, since they closed the border to all in-bound and out-bound traffic.

Mara

On the news they said they were testing a lady from my county to figure out what kind of flu she had.

Meh, I'm not worried. Just make sure you wash your hands a lot and stuff. Should be no problem unless you come in contact with someone who is infected/came from an infected location.

Radioactive Isotope

maybe i should stay home from work until all this blows over. the people that come in here are nasty. :|

Princess

On the news they said they were testing a lady from my county to figure out what kind of flu she had.

Meh, I'm not worried. Just make sure you wash your hands a lot and stuff. Should be no problem unless you come in contact with someone who is infected/came from an infected location.

Washing your hands does not protect you from an airborne illness. Get your SARS masks out again people :p

Winters

The thing is you're more likely to get it through transfered fluids (sneeze droplets, spittle, other bodily fluids) than airborne, but "airborne" means sneeze droplets).

Princess

Uh Winters, I have a job diagnosing fun little diseases, I think I know what I'm talking about.

Winters

Then I retract my previous statement...

Andy

Smooth.

But seriously, they also think that those masks are pretty much useless in the grand scheme of things anyway. :p

Edited by Andy

Drake

Tens of millions of deaths are predicted if it's not stopped.

Andy

As usual I assume most of that is media speculation.

It's being pretty downplayed in the news over here. Well, not downplayed--it's certainly the leading headlines--but the news reports I've seen are fairly optimistic. Part of the trouble is that the information coming out of Mexico is confused so there has been delays in getting a clear picture of what's going in.

In the UK, the PM is saying that the country is well prepared for a potential epidemic, and there is apparently enough antiviral drugs to treat half the population. Of course, I don't really trust him as fare as I could throw him (which isn't very far as he is not a small man).

Although a lot of people have been tested for the strain here, there has been only two confirmed cases; a couple from Scotland who had recently returned home from a holiday in Mexico who reportedly only showed mild 'flu-like symptoms and are recovering well.

There are, however, dozens of people currently being tested for the virus (including one of my friends from my old job who recently returned from a holiday in Texas) and results should be available soon.

Bottom line is: I'm not worried. lol

Winters

Uh Winters, I have a job diagnosing fun little diseases, I think I know what I'm talking about.

I have to say, that I was actually right.

For those who do not want to read the article, it states that the masks are basically useless and that the Swine Flu is spread like normal flu, by touching people and their fluids, i.e. it's not airborne.

Edited by Winters

Princess

Smooth.

But seriously, they also think that those masks are pretty much useless in the grand scheme of things anyway. :p

If infected people wear droplet masks, the droplets from coughing and sneezing will not spread. We just got an email at work that according to the CDC guidelines if we're collecting specimens for testing, we're supposed to wear special masks that you wear when dealing with TB patients and we have to do all our testing under biohazard hoods

Princess

I have to say, that I was actually right.

For those who do not want to read the article, it states that the masks are basically useless and that the Swine Flu is spread like normal flu, by touching people and their fluids, i.e. it's not airborne.

You were partially right.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

CDC?s Division of the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) is releasing one-quarter of its antiviral drugs, personal protective equipment, and respiratory protection devices to help states respond to the outbreak

James the Defender

We have the first reported death in the US from Swine Flu...a 23-month old baby in Texas... :(

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.