Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

Jacen Solo or...

Andy

I put the spoiler warning there just in case. I'm sure pretty much everyone knows about it now...

But anyway, would you refer to him as Jacen Solo or Darth Caedus?

On Wookieepedia they have elected to name the article about him Darth Caedus as that is the name he went by at his time of death.

Every week or so someone else comments on the talk page saying it should be 'Jacen Solo', and I'm inclined to agree with them, but the consensus remains in favour of 'Darth Caedus'.

It seems a little inconsistent, seeing as Darth Vader redirects to Anakin Skywalker, Darth Sidious redirects to Palpatine, Darth Tyranus redirects to Dooku... These are all explained by what I would call excuses:

Anakin was redeemed before his death, as evidenced by his Force ghost appearing to Luke. Fair enough.

Palpatine ruled the galaxy as Emperor Palpatine, not as Darth Sidious. This is probably a technicality that when the EU was writing about that era in Star Wars history we didn't know what his Sith name was.

Dooku was known to most of the galaxy as Dooku, not as Darth Tyranus. This doesn't really change the fact that he was Tyranus, though.

So why does Jacen get lumbered with Caedus? He wasn't always evil.

If you could only call him by one name; which one would you call him?

Drake

Jacen was dead as soon as Vergere got ahold of him. I would call him Caedus...or JINO (Jacen In Name Only). :p

Mara

Probably Jacen.. it's how I always referred to him in my Legacy book reviews, lol. But I don't think it's because it's how I remember him; mostly it's because I'm just not used to the fact of his "new" name, I guess.

James the Defender

Good thread idea.

I'd call him Jacen behind his back, but Caedus to his face. Yes, I'd drop his Darth title completely, lol. I wrote a fanfic concerning my character and Jacen/Caedus, in fact, lol

Edited by James the Defender

Bad furday

I'd call him "Biggest arse-hole and number one prat in the galaxy"........ behind his back, of course ;)

But really...I suppose I'd call him Jacen Solo.

Rogue

You mean they're the same people? :p

I tend to separate the two. I love Jacen, and hate what they did to him. :(

Radioactive Isotope

as much as i think they dropped the ball with the Legacy story in general, Invincible kinda stung with all those corny Jacen jokes they put in the chapter headings. :(

Drake

Boohoo, people. Legacy was great because they took a character that most people loved and made him so twisted that you hated it. That was the point. It was an incredible and powerful twist. Adding those corny quotes simply reminded us of it and reopened the wounds, so to speak.

I think they should keep his entry as Darth Caedus and I disagree with Darth Vader redirecting to Anakin.

James the Defender

I loved the quotes. I thought it was a great way to establish mood. I just thought Invincible felt rushed, but that's for another thread, lol.

Drake

The last NJO book felt rushed too. The last FotJ book will probably be the same. It seems to be a problem with these long series'.

Winters

Honestly, I feel that the two should be seperate, just as Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker should be seperate because although they are the same individual, they are different people. The fact that they do take on seperate names is to distance themselves from who they once were, therefore it should be different articles, because Darth Vader and Caedus would do things Anakin Skywalker and Jacen Solo would never do, yet they are them, it is a simple shift in character that seperates the two.

The point of the chance of name is distancing themselves from their original being. It's like when someone changes their name once they turn 18, it is to distance themselves from their original name or being... I say do both... a few megabites of bandwith shouldn't hurt...

Mara

I loved the quotes. I thought it was a great way to establish mood. I just thought Invincible felt rushed, but that's for another thread, lol.

*nods* Same here. But I think I mentioned such already in that other thread. :p

Drake

Good for you? lol

Bad furday

I can't call him Darth Cadeus, because then I'll start snickering over how stupid that sounds. :p

James the Defender

Does anybody remember what that means? Darth, of course, is dark, but Caedus? I ferget.

Winters

Caedus is derived from the Latin for a butcher or slaughterer... Five years of Latin is good for something.

Andy

Is it really that useful, though? :p

Radioactive Isotope

depends on your definition of "useful". :p

Winters

It's useful when you can discern these "hidden" meanings... that and you can swear at people in Latin and they'll be lost...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.