Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Science!

Chickenman

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a huge nerd, so I think the odd science articles that I find amusing and/or terrifying should get their own place.

Humanity just lost the war.

This robot can learn things. At the rate of a 3 year old. Which means for most people, it's already smarter than you! :nerves:

Andy

Scary thing is it actually looks like a child-sized version of a Terminator. :p

Drake

Those pictures don't show the miniature gatling gun and grenade launcher.

Andy

It probably hasn't learnt to use them yet.

On a side note, I hope it isn't funded by the British Ministry of Defence at all. They already have a satellite network called SkyNet. lol

James the Defender

It's being funded by MI5. :p

Drake

They say that it's some step forward in biotech but, really, he's just putting a camera into his fake eye. It's like a guy with a prosthetic arm getting a flamethrower installed into it. Well, maybe that one hasn't happened........yet.

It's still cool though. Also...Toronto, represent!

Uncle Du

I skimmed over the article, but I didn't notice anything saying that he would be getting any input from the camera into his brain....

Chickenman

Asteroid Headed for Earth

This happens all the time, but I just have to admonish the scientific community for naming the asteroid Apophis. :???:

Drake

Seriously? The size of a 25-story building? If it poses to be a problem, it would be easy to blow up.

Ender

where's Bruce Willis when ya need him?

Bad furday

Scientifically, blowing it up would make it worse :p Nudging it aside would be safer ;) :p

Radioactive Isotope

but blowing it up would be more fun. :p

Ender

^^ exactly.

Ana

Asteroid... Apophis. Where's SG-1 when we need them? :o

Drake

Hopefully it's not like that episode where Anubis sent a naquadah asteroid hurtling toward Earth in the hopes that they would nuke it and wind up obliterating the solar system.

Ana

Actually, it's exactly like that.

Drake

Maybe that's why they just want to nudge it out of the way. When all else fails, though, they can just use a Tok'ra shuttle to encompass the asteroid in a hyperspace bubble and jump it through the planet.

Uncle Du

Naming that thing Apophis doesn't even make any sense. Did they do it cause it sounded cool? I mean, in what way does that asteroid represent the Egyptian god that was the enemy of Ra? I mean really. :p

And speaking of asteroids, I'm watching this thing on the History channel about impact craters, in particular, they were talking about the one in Arizona. It's amazing how much things have changed; I can remember "learning" when I was in school, that when that the asteroid hit, the rock itself buried deep into the Earth. But apparently, that "fact", that I learned in school was indeed just a theory. There's scientific evidence now, that when an asteroid strikes, it does so with such force, that it actually disintegrates, leaving very little trace of the original asteroid.

Pretty cool. And odd that I happened across a show about asteroids at this specific time. ;)

Bad furday

Was that the show where Michio Kaku or Neil DeGrasse Tyson were like, "There's a one in two million chance that you'll wake up tomorrow and an asteroid will be on a collision course with Earth" ?

Princess

We're all such geeks

Ender

Neil deGrasse Tyson is such a badass.

Drake

Him and Bill Nye were in an episode of Stargate Atlantis. That is the epitome of badass.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.