Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Star Trek (2009)

Andy

Not sure what it's actually called, lol.

It has an 'interesting' cast:

The guy who plays Sylar (Heroes) as Spock - he just looks like Sylar with pointy ears. :|

Simon Pegg (Run Fat Boy Run, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People - note that they all comedy films) as Scotty. I mean, what. the. ewok?

lol

Don't really know much else about it.

Anyone been following it's development? Drake?

Drake

I'm excited for this movie! It's just called "Star Trek".

Eric Bana will be in it as a character called Nero, Winona Ryder will be playing Kirk's wife, Karl Urban will be Dr. McCoy, and John Cho (Harold from the Harold and Kumar movies) will be Sulu.

Here is a link to the trailers.

Edited by Drake

Mara

The premise of it actually sounds kind of interesting.

Chickenman

I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Andy

I just watched the trailer... and it looks pretty awesome, actually. At least it hasn't got Picard in it this time; never been a big fan of him (the character). lol

Chickenman

And this is why you suck. :p

Drake

I just watched the trailer... and it looks pretty awesome, actually. At least it hasn't got Picard in it this time; never been a big fan of him (the character). lol

Funny enough...Picard and Data are in the comic series leading up to the movie. So who knows. :p

In other news, they released a short clip from the film in which Scotty somehow manages to beam onto the Enterprise without permission, much to Spock's frustration.

Uncle Du

Dude, WHAT are you talking about, Patrick Stewart is one of the best Captains ever in Star Trek!!

And I cannot WAIT for this to come out. Ever sense I saw the trailer where young Kirk drives that 'Vette off a cliff, and then tells the cop his full name... *shivers*

...I shiver every time I think about it. :D

Drake

Are you sure the thermostat in the house isn't just turned down?

Uncle Du

No, I know it's the trailer, cause it's warm out now. ;) :p

Mara

Maybe your trailer needs better ventilation?

.... *leaves*

Uncle Du

Good thing you're a woman...

:p

Andy

So, who's seen it? I saw it tonight and it was pretty cool. Lots of cheesiness though, lol, but it is Star Trek...

There's a couple of things you can see coming a mile off... Like when they send an away team with one person wearing a red shirt... :p

The way they just destroy Vulcan is a bit crazy though... Pretty sick special effects though.

And it is pretty much like one of those 're-imagining' things they do. So I sense sequels in the future...

Edited by Andy

Drake

They do what...

Bad furday

I'm supposed to see it today with my co-workers...but I realised I don't have Rich's phone number, and he may not check his email today, and the van has a leak, so mum took dad's car...

and in short....old Furry may be left out. :( :p

Uncle Du

They do what...

Yea, really?

How can they

destroy Vulcan?!

Drake

Obviously this is an alternate history. If Vulcan is destroyed then Spock will not be able to return there to complete the ritual during his pon farr, no doubt resulting in his death. If he does manage to make it, then his story will end when he sacrifices himself in Wrath of Khan, when he goes into the highly irradiated engine core to save the Enterprise. His body would regenerate, like in Search for Spock but the memories he copied into Bones' mind would not have been transferred back, as there would be little to no chance of any Vulcans around able to do that.

Which leads us to The Voyage Home in which Spock determines that the alien probe has come to Earth looking for humpback whales, thus giving Kirk the idea to go back in time and get some from the 20th century. Without Spock, they may never have discovered this fact and Earth would have been destroyed.

So, in the end, J.J. Abrams, you wind up destroying Earth anyway. Good freaking job.

Uncle Du

I know you didn't write all that for my sake. ;)

So that's what it's lookin' like huh, re-doing the whole universe? Amazing what the destruction of Vulcan changes in the whole universe. Gene Roddenberry must rolling in his grave.

Bad furday

I knew this, from being spoilt. :p But, we're going to see it on Monday. I have the feeling...that Steve, our resident Star Trek geek...will absolutely flip during and after the film. ;) :p

Uncle Du

Sounds like I will too. :p

Andy

Well? :p

Bad furday

Steve didn't flip out. :p:(

He says that the really really hardcore Trek fans will probably have a problem with it, but he generally enjoyed the movie.

The lot of us were laughing at quite a bit of it, like when

Kirk is cheating on the Kobayashi Maru ( I didn't know they were going out?!

:p ) and sitting in the captain's chair, eating an apple, and pointing his hand like a gun at each Bird o' Prey as it blows up

I was blinded by the lens flares. :p ;)

Tsl

I just found it kind hilarious that

the only person in the entire ST universe carrying around a folding katana (I want one, btw) happened to meet up with the only guy in the ST universe carrying a folding battle axe! Minor detail: fencing does not involve the use of a katana folding or otherwise...and the fighting he was doing while very cool, was most definitely NOT fencing

:p :p :p

Drake

Damn excellent movie!

I was most pleased with the scenes involving

future Spock

. :D

Uncle Du

I am really glad that I didn't read too much about this movie before I saw it. I mean, I never even went to IMDB...so I didn't know that

Leonard Nimoy was in it.

I was SOOOOO happy!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.