Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Du

Gears of War 1 and 2

Uncle Du

Since we're on the eve of the release of the 2nd installment of this already legendary game, I thought it would be appropriate for it to have it's own thread.

Main page

I won't be able to play this weekend, as I have prior commitments which are more important than video games. Draw your own conclusions. However, after this weekend, if you have a box, and have the game, hit me up, and we can roll with some co-op.

Uncle Du

Picked it up today, I'm playing in Act 2 still. It's a lot longer than the first one. So, far, completely bad ass, and everything that I expected it to be.

Someone else please get this game so I can talk to someone about it! :p

Andy

I'll get it... When they put it on PS3...

Oh well, looks like you'll be waiting a loooooong time, Du. :p

Uncle Du

You're missing out!

You could get the first one for PC. :p

Andy

I could. I hear the PC version is better than the 360 version, lol.

It wasn't one of those dodgy Vista-only games they did though, was it?

Uncle Du

Actually, I think it was the first major Vista only title that came out, haha! :p

And I also heard that the PC version was better. I know for fact that you get to fight the Brumak in the PC version, and a lotta people were pissed that they didn't do that for the 360. But believe me, it's all good in the second one. There's more action in Act I in this game than there was in the whole first game. You don't ever get a break in #2.

I'm into Act 3 now. I can't believe how long Act 2 was. It's astounding how many different environments you pass through as your playing this game. I would be SHOCKED if this game didn't win game of the year. It's everything that a sequel should be. And I haven't even beat it yet.

Andy

Actually, I think it was the first major Vista only title that came out, haha! :p

I thought that was Halo 2. :p

Uncle Du

I don't keep track of that s***. St00pid PC gaming. ;) :p

Andy

Whatever, you're just jealous because my PC would pwn your Xbox. :p

Edited by Andy

Uncle Du

Nooooooot really. :p

Uncle Du

Beat it! :D

Can't wait for Gears 3!! ;)

Uncle Du

Not that anyone cares, but I have some tips for getting achievements in Gears 2.

For the meat shield achievement, tag a downed enemy with a grenade, then pick them up to use as a shield. When the grenade goes off, you won't get injured, and you'll get one dead grub towards the 10 you need for the achievement.

For the Around the World Again achievement, just create a local multi-player match with bots on casual difficulty, then play 1 round matches on each of the ten new maps. You don't even have to win.

For the Takes a Licking achievement, the easiest place to do this would be Act 1 Chapter 4, Roadblocks. The first enemies you will encounter are "tickers", you have to melee 30 of these things for this achievement. Some people are saying that you have to melee them when they start on fire, getting ready to explode, but you shouldn't have to. Use the shotgun or pistol to melee them, cause if you have the Lancer equipped you'll just rev the chainsaw. All you gotta do is hit em. Trust me, you'll run into plenty of those little b******s in this chapter, you should be able to get it here.

All of the other weapon based achievements are straightforward.

For the Seriously 2.0 achievement....well, someone tell me when they kill 100,000 enemies in this game. :p

I'll add more as I get them, and find easy ways to do so.

I think I'm just talking to myself here. Has anyone else even got it yet?

And if anyone ever does (:p) I need someone to help me beat it on insane. I'm more than half-way through on hardcore, and I'm starting to die....a lot.

Edited by Du

Uncle Du

Beat it on Hardcore last night. Took me 23 hours alone. I think it was actually easier to beat on this difficulty than it was to beat #1 on normal.

There's no last boss like General Raam in the first one. All you gotta do is hit the Lambent Brumak with the Hammer of Dawn a few times.

Oh, and if my brother ever logs on here, remember to give him crap about this. He loves the Brumak from this game, and

I got to ride one in #2

, hahahahahaha!!!!

Edited by Du

Winters

I considered getting this game... but it looked to... for lack of a better word... gory.. I'm not opposed to blood in video games, from what I saw from people playing it at school, it looked "tasteless" to me, however, I will not put the game down, because I do know that it has its merits, I just didn't really want to play it.

Uncle Du

It definitely is bloody. And it's definitely over the top. But I don't think it's tasteless. It fits with the tenor of the game.

CorSec

I actually went to the store looking for Halo 3, but when I found it sold out everywhere, I "settled" for Gears 2. I did intend to buy it eventually, just not before catching up on the Halo series.

Anyway, I played through Hardcore solo; finished up a few hours ago. I played through the original Gears co-op a couple of years ago. From what I remember, this is definitely more impressive. I guess most of my appreciation for this game is based on the details that really separate it from the Halo series and other console FPS's.

First, I love the unified ammunition boxes. Effectively this means you don't have to pick up whatever the enemy is using because you need ammo. When they gave me the first sniper rifle in Act 2, I didn't put it down until I picked up the Hammer of the Dawn in late Act 5. The way they manage ammo allows you to play through the game using the weapons you enjoy. Too often in Halo you're stuck with what they spawn you with, or you lose your weapons when you start a new level.

I also grew to appreciate the cover system more than I would have expected. Its a simple concept, but it really makes you feel like you're being somewhat tactical.

I guess my only major disappointments with the game are the "Defend this s***!" missions. Good examples being: Taking out the mortar shots before they hit your vehicle in Act 1, or taking out 6 reavers before they destroy the comms in Act 5. Obviously I did manage to get by them, but they're pretty frustrating to do alone on the higher difficulties. I spent more time reloading checkpoints on objectives like this than on anything else.

Multiplayer looks like a blast. I ran through the multiplayer offline tutorials (for the achievement! hurray +10), and I really like the new take on classic CTF. The 'meatflag' making comments as you drag it around the map is just icing on the cake. Can't wait to get online.

For now I'm just going to finish up with whatever achievements I can get (34/50 or so). When I can get together with my buddy we'll run Insane co-op.

After that it will be endless reloads of the last chapter in Act 5 for Seriously 2.0 ;)

Uncle Du

After that it will be endless reloads of the last chapter in Act 5 for Seriously 2.0 ;)

Hahahaha! One of my friends said he figured that you would have to run that last chapter around 500 times to get that achievement. Give or take a dozen or so. :p

Uncle Du

Ahhh, good call. One of the better ones that he's done I think. That dude is hilarious!

Drake

He is! The best reviews are the ones, like this one, where he can't really find anything wrong with the gameplay itself so he has to find something silly to pick on.

Like the chest-high walls. :p

Uncle Du

:rofl:

Freakin' classic!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.