Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Vergere

Halloween Spooks

Vergere

As I've mentioned to a few people, I have a very part-time seasonal job (but, a job that pays me) as a scare-actor for the Halloween season at the local amusement park.

I need help. Lots of help. I need to figure out what scares people in haunted houses.

Yes, I'll go ahead and let you laugh at me. I had no choice in locale, I have no choice in what I'll be wearing, or what my makeup will be. I really have no choice in anything except how I'll be able to act. So, for entertainment's sake... I'll be with the haunted train in a haunted ghost town as a demented cowgirl. Yes, yes, laugh at me. While I'll enjoy dressing up and meeting new people, that's not exactly most people's idea of scary places. So I have no control over anything except acting.

I also, as a visitor, hate haunted houses and being spooked and stuff. I don't mind being the spook-er, but I hate being the spook-ee. Therefore, I have no idea what you brave-of-heart type crazies that enjoy going to these places think is spooky or scary.

So... I ask the question - what scares you at haunted houses / haunted mazes / haunted whatevers. What makes it random so you don't know what's coming at you? What is it that really makes you jump, or uncomfortable, or whatnot? Since most people that go into these go in with the mindset 'this is hokey' or 'this is scary', how do you get past the 'hokey' and move into 'scary? What are the actions, the sounds, the movements that make your skin crawl?

I want to know, without having any control over the situation, what on earth would I be able to even possibly do to scare you, given my given circumstances? From reviews, part of the problems last year included being predictable and having a poor atmosphere to start it all off. (not that I worked it, just reading the reviews.) Almost every review said that it could be easily and quickly improved, so I want to know what I can do to scare people. Especially you guys walking into this thinking it's going to be hokey. Even if it is. I want to know if it scares you, scares other people, if you think it COULD be scary, anything. ANYTHING that could possibly help get past hokey and move towards a bit more spooky.

Jake Durron

Well my experiences in REAL haunts... like my grandmother's house really the soft quiet but sudden movements tend to startle me more. If you're in that unfortunate role than I think the best advice is to try to get if they'll let you that is, glowing contacts and just make eye contact and give a kinda absentminded smile, maybe yell obnoxiously then just go still... stare and wait for them then let out a loud yeehaw or whatever your lines must be. Its that transition from severely animated to dead, pardon the pun, silent eeriness that really gets a lot of people.

Jake Durron

Of course, acting like you just got shot and laughing maniacally or insanely as you drag yourself towards people gets em too

Princess

Randomly collapse and grab someone's leg as they walk by.

The freakiest thing I saw once was in a haunted house put on by the honor's dorm. They did this entire room in black and neon polka dots in rows down the wall (from like the price stickers you use for rummage sales) and then they had people dressed in all black with the polka dots on them, and they moved and it was just plain messed up

Radioactive Isotope

it's the unknown that scares me. we did a haunted house last year where people hid in dark corners and kept grabbing my leg. blood and guts and gore really are not scary to me in the least. but like Kia, i'm more freaked out by real stuff and not the hokey haunted houses.

Ayingel

sudden movements always get me. or being followed. the house at the mn state fair had a lot of people in rooms where you could "follow" the guests who were outside of the room (windows et wot). i also hated it when they come out of the ceiling.

Ana

A cautionary note: check your House's policies on actors touching the walkers. A lot of places are very strict on that, and a lot of walkers will be quite happy to sue if you touch them and it isn't explicitly stated before they enter the house that this may happen.

My schtick was always domestic violence-y, because I find that's one thing that truly does scare me. I'd time the group's approach, and when they were still out of sight I'd start screaming "Marvin, what are you doing? Put that knife down. Marvin, get away from me, I'm serious! What are you - no. Don't. Marvin, please, don't - nooooooooooo!" and then by the time they came into sight I'd be sagging down against the wall with a fake knife wound on my chest, like I was dying.

My sense of humor may be a little dark for you, though. >_> Do whatever suits you best.

Vergere

lol @ ana! Yeah, that'd be interesting and creepy. Dark humour is always good.

I already know I'm not allowed to touch anyone in any way, shape, or form. Including a feather to the back of the neck. :lol: I used to do that to people. But I'm definately not allowed to touch people.

Mara

Never really been to a haunted house (want to, though), but sometimes when someone appears near me when I'm not expecting it, that scares me a little. Like coming around a corner and suddenly my sister is there, not even trying to scare me, lol.

Drake

“Daddy, I had a bad dream.”

You blink your eyes and pull up on your elbows. Your clock glows red in the darkness—its 3:23.

“Do you want to climb into bed and tell me about it?”

“No, Daddy.”

The oddness of the situation wakes you up more fully. You can barely make out your daughter’s pale form in the darkness of your room. “Why not, sweetie?”

“Because in my dream, when I told you about the dream, the thing wearing mommy’s skin sat up.”

For a moment, you feel paralyzed; you can’t take your eyes off of your daughter. The covers behind you begin to shift.

Bad furday

It's Marvin! :p He's a skinwalker! :nerves:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.