Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Uncle Du

Batman: Arkham series (Asylum, City, and Origins)

Uncle Du

This was the cover article on the recent issue of Game Informer. Being that right now, the story is still an exclusive, I can't link to really anything but pictures, which are here.

The skinny on the game is this (and I'll spolier tag this in case someone doesn't want to know):

the game starts with Batman tearing through Gotham in the Batmobile on his way to Arkham. When he gets there, he hauls out the Joker, and the Arkham guards take over. Batman follows into the asylum to ensure that the Joker is properly taken care of. Obviously, things don't turn out that way, and the Joker escapes deep into Arkham. And Batman obviously pursues him.

That's just the beginning of the game, and I haven't included everything. There isn't really much else out about the game, because it's being kept under such tight wraps. But from I gather, you're going to run into damn near every super-villain that Batman ever put away. Should be interesting. I'll post more when there's more to post.

Update: Might as well make this about the newest game coming out, Arkham City. This one should deliver as an incredible follow up to AA. Catwoman and the Boy Wonder make appearances, with Catwoman definitely being a playable character. And damn is she bad ass! If one of you modly types could amend the title of this here thread, that would be awesome!

Edited by TheUnknown
Added Tags

Winters

Sounds interesting...

Chickenman

Oh my god, yes!

If this is anything like the graphic novel "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth" then this is going to be incredible.

Radioactive Isotope

sadly, i will probably not play this game unless there's a God mode. or else i'll keep dying and get frustrated and quit. :|

Chickenman

Batman is always in God mode.

Radioactive Isotope

good point.

Winters

Here's a question... if CN and Batman faught... who'd win...? If Batman is always in God mode?

Chickenman

By the way, here are some images from the aforementioned comic. You can see why I want the game to be like this.

arkhamasylumpic3.jpg

Joker_5.jpg

Arkham_Asylum__Joker.jpg

Aside from the Joker picture, those aren't even close to the best examples, but the best examples are either waaaaaay too graphic or not online, and I'm not scanning my copy. :???:

Uncle Du

In the GI article, there are three graphic novels they say are required reading, the first being the one that Chicken has been talking about, the others are titled Batman: The Last Arkham and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. The background of the game and the history of the Asylum have all been built upon the last 70 years of Batman comics.

I can't wait to hear more about this game. As a follower of the Batman universe, I don't rank up there very high, but just seeing the specifics of this game that have been released, it's got me reading more into it. I especially want to read the mentioned graphic novels.

And since I'm home now, I have the article from GI, and I'll quote the beginning of the game from the article:

The story begins on a dark and stormy night with the Batmobile tearing through deserted city streets. Batman's ride roars like a jet engine, kicking up a storm of fallen leaves and discarded newspapers as it passes a sign for Arkham Asylum that reads: "Warning: hitchhikers may be escaping patients."

The camera pans up Batman as the strobe of streetlights flash on his cowl, showing an expression of calm determination in comparison to the maniacal driving style. A couple of Arkham guards hear the familiar engine rumbling off in the distance and scramble to open the gate. The Batmobile flashes through the recently made opening. An older man in a suit and a cadre of guards stand out front amid the flood of spotlights, awaiting a special delivery. The Batmobile screeches to a halt and a familiar pointed silhouette emerges out of the top. Batman drags a handcuffed Joker along the ground.

"Hey, Sharpy. What's the deal?" the Joker mocks as he's being loaded into an upright gurney straight out of Silence of the Lambs. "The old mansion was much more civilized."

"It's Warden Sharp," says the head of Arkham. "Get him out of here."

"Hey, not so tight. You'll crease the suit," Joker complains as he's being strapped in.

"There aren't enough guards. I'm going with him," Batman demands. No one seems to mind. Here the player takes control of Batman and follows Joker deep into Arkham's intensive treatment ward as he taunts security and medical staff. The group comes upon a large freight elevator.

"Hold it! We've got another psycho coming through," shouts a guard. "Keep your weapons trained on it at all times."

A monstrous green form is crammed inside the elevator as it arrives from below. Killer Croc steps out and stretches to his full height of 10 feet.

"I've got your scent, Batman. I'm going to find you," threatens Croc as he lumbers off.

"That reminds me. I really need some new shoes," adds Joker.

The security entourage shuffles into the newly vacant elevator and it quickly descends. All of a sudden, the lights cut out. Joker starts laughing maniacally.

"What's he doing?!" a guard yells. "Get a light on him!" After a tense moment of panic in complete darkness, the lights flicker on. Batman is calmly clutching Joker by the throat with one hand. The guards breathe a sigh of relief.

"What? Don't you trust me?" Joker taunts as he's wheeled off the elevator. The group meets up with Commissioner Gordon and more Arkham staff. Batman moves to follow them into the cell block, but an asylum doctor cuts him off.

"Authorized personnel only," he says.

Gordon tries to convince him. "I assure you. If anyone is qualified..."

"I appreciate the assistance, but he'll unsettle the more violent inmates," the doctor replies.

"I think he's talking about you," Joker mocks. Batman relents and joins Gordon in a glass encased observation room that overlooks the check-in room.

"You okay?" Gordon asks.

"He surrendered almost without a fight. I don't like it," Batman replies.

"At least he's back where he belongs."

No sooner does Gordon finish speaking than Joker shouts "Hey Batman. Stop me if you've heard this one."

Joker somehow slips out of his bonds and quickly dispatches his captors, cackling as he runs deeper into the facility. Batman instantly springs into action, punching the observation window, causing a spiderweb of cracks to extend through the glass. It shatters on the second punch and he uses his cape to glide safely to the floor below. Batman tries to head down the hallway that Joker escaped through, but an electric barrier springs up and Joker's gang comes out of the woodwork. Batman quickly dispatches them as the alarm sirens kick in.

"Welcome to the madhouse, Batman," Joker says over the asylum video screens. The electric field is deactivated and Batman has no choice but to walk right into what is surely a trap. Why would Joker purposely break into Arkham? The answer lies in one of the asylum's darkest secrets.

I will stay on top of any more information that becomes available.

Oh, and did I mention that the release of this game is still a year out? Sucks.

Edited by Du

Drake

Oh my god, yes!

If this is anything like the graphic novel "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth" then this is going to be incredible.

Arkham Asylum is serious business. :p

And Du, that article is kickass.

Radioactive Isotope

dangit. now i have to wait a year to find out the rest. :(

Andy

Here's a question... if CN and Batman faught... who'd win...? If Batman is always in God mode?

BTW, that is no longer censored to a cute little bunny rabbit. ;)

Chickenman

In the GI article, there are three graphic novels they say are required reading, the first being the one that Chicken has been talking about, the others are titled Batman: The Last Arkham and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. The background of the game and the history of the Asylum have all been built upon the last 70 years of Batman comics.

I can't wait to hear more about this game. As a follower of the Batman universe, I don't rank up there very high, but just seeing the specifics of this game that have been released, it's got me reading more into it. I especially want to read the mentioned graphic novels.

And since I'm home now, I have the article from GI, and I'll quote the beginning of the game from the article:

Not really the past 70 years of Batman comics. Continuity was rebooted in the mid 1980s or so. There's some good stuff from the era before that, but you also have 1950s comics where Batman travels to the planet Zarbulax and fights the Mighty Zorbon, ruler of the Zelestians! Since the 80s they've been pretty well grounded in reality when he's not teaming up with the JLA or Superman. :roll:

The Last Arkham is a great story arc that I almost collected the entirety of. Need to find the trade paperback one of these days.

I was kind of worried about if the game could deliver, but now I see how close they're trying to follow the comics, and the game is also written by one of the guys behind the Animated Series, so this might be awesome. :D

And Batman would win against Chuck Norris, and not just because Chuck Norris sucks.

Edited by Chickenman

Andy

I don't remember removing the filter... I changed it so "Chuck Norris" was replaced with "Indiana Jones". lol

Chickenman

Mike did it at my request. I needed it for a post. :p

Uncle Du

Not really the past 70 years of Batman comics. Continuity was rebooted in the mid 1980s or so. There's some good stuff from the era before that, but you also have 1950s comics where Batman travels to the planet Zarbulax and fights the Mighty Zorbon, ruler of the Zelestians! Since the 80s they've been pretty well grounded in reality when he's not teaming up with the JLA or Superman. :roll:

Well, I definitely have a some reading cut out for me. And it sounds like I'll be starting in the 80's. ;)

Drake

Who? :shifty:

Chickenman

Drake.

Damn it. Stupid MSN conversations have me referring to people by their actual names. :p

Andy

Insubordination of the highest levels. I demand a treason trial. Again. :p

Radioactive Isotope

what if a person's screen name is their actual name? :p

Drake

Chuck Norris jokes are old now. I had been thinking of removing the filter on it for a little while already when Chicken asked me. :p

Chickenman

I needed it.

For a joke.

That wasn't actually a Chuck Norris joke.

I blame Drake. :p

Andy

I needed it.

For a joke.

That wasn't actually a Chuck Norris joke.

I blame Drake. :p

It was Drake I was accusing of treason. :p

Now anyway... I'm intrigued by this game... Hopefully it will be x100 better than those Spiderman games...

Uncle Du

I'm thinking it will be. I mean, this is running on the Unreal III engine. So that right there makes it 100X's better. :p

Chickenman

So I just learned some interesting tidbits.

Paul Dini, one of the writers behind the 90s animated series, who later went on to write many of the comics, has written the story of this game. Excellent news.

I haven't been able to confirm this, but apparently Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman in that series will be returning to play Batman in the game, which is great, because he did an insanely good job.

The Joker will be played by the same guy who voiced the Joker in the 90s series, and arguably the best voice of the Joker ever, mothertrucking Mark Hamill!

This is gonna be gooooood.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.