Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Democratic National Convention

Chickenman

Take a drink every time the word "change" is said.

Take a drink every time the war in Iraq is mentioned.

Take a drink for a great Biden one-liner.

Take a drink if you smirk at the name of Denver's mayor, John Hickenlooper.

Anytime a Clinton makes a disparaging remark presented as a compliment.

Also anytime a Clinton tries and fails to hide a grimace.

*Crosses fingers* If Howard Dean lets out a bloodcurdling yell.

Andy

What's DNC? :|

Uncle Du

Dude, you'd be drunk within 30 minutes!!

Ayingel

i think that's the point.

Radioactive Isotope

i didn't just smirk, i giggled. how many drinks is that? :p

What's DNC? :|

Democratic National Convention

Andy

Oh. Sounds... fun. :|

Uncle Du

It's really boring. Hence the drinking game. ;)

Chickenman

Feel free to add your own rules. ;)

i didn't just smirk, i giggled. how many drinks is that? :p

I was actually about to write "If you outright giggle, take three," but then I figured, "Who's going to outright giggle? No one's going to outright giggle."

Oh. Sounds... fun. :|

It's important. The first time the Democrats really get together, as a whole and meet and give their support to their candidate. Well, all the Democrats except 34% of Clinton voters. :roll:

It's really boring. Hence the drinking game. ;)

It's become a bit of a tradition during important speeches. :p

America: Beacon of Hgahaofahga!!!!!!!!

Chickenman

Damn it, these speeches are slowly eroding my steel-like armor of cynisism.

It's going to suck when this election gets rigged too. :cry:

Radioactive Isotope

i hope they have ways to pay for all this change they're talking about without taxing the crap out of those of us that have no money to begin with.

gubment can haz fiscal responsibility?

Chickenman

Better to pay slightly higher taxes than to lose your job in an economy that's spiraling out of control.

Radioactive Isotope

i still maintain that if Washington would learn that it's a bad idea to spend more money than they have coming in, we wouldn't have this problem. normal people who do that end up broke and on gubment checks real quick.

Chickenman

Like the huge surplus Bush squandered?

So long as taxes go to government programs that help people and not to pork barrel spending, I see nothing wrong with slightly higher taxes. I know, I'm not financially independent, but it's the concept of the thing. :p

Edit: Just remembered, so you'll instead vote for the party that's trying to bankrupt us so we won't have said social programs? Why vote for a party that's trying to get rid of the government's extra money, and is also responsible for a war that is sucking us even drier than their economic policy? Spending money we don't have, indeed.

Edited by Chickenman

Radioactive Isotope

hey, i'm not any happier funding the war than i am funding useless social programs. :p money squandering is not unique to one party or the other, they just squander it on different things.

besides, i'm voting third party this time. i hate both major parties right now. :p

Chickenman

Way to have an effect on the future. ;)

And money squadering has been raised to an art form by the Republicans, not the Democrats. Reagan defeated the Soviet Union by playing a game of Economic Chicken, seeing who would run out of money first. Democrats know how to actually run an economy, Republicans haven't a clue. They've done a good job of telling us they do, and hey, they're run by rich people, of course they must know how to deal with money! :roll: Every single Democratic has run a better economy than every single Republican president.

And useless government programs? Useless? Social security is useless? Healthcare is useless? FAFSA? Veteran's Affairs? FEMA (Ineffective as hell under the current regime, but they're vital)? Unemployment insurance? Disability Direct? Homeless Assistance?

It amuses me to no end that the Republican Party pretends to be the Christian party, yet can't seem to look out for their fellow man, one of the core teachings of the Christian, and really most any, Faith.

Radioactive Isotope

there's a difference between hand-outs and hand-ups. the whole teach a man to fish thing. maybe useless was the wrong word to use. ineffectual, unweildy money pit might have been better. and right now i do think SS is uselss because i'm not going to see a dime of what they take out of my paycheck every two weeks. FAFSA's a joke because it screws over people like me who have too much money sitting in savings accounts in case my husband loses his job and we have no income. and i've seen enough of Healthcare to know it sucks too. private insurance companies are extremely picky about what they'll pay for and how much they'll pay. even vital diagnostic tests and surgeries are being denied to save insurance a few dollars. and i don't think universal healthcare is the answer either, because the government can't pay for it. they've proven time and time again that they are extremely irresponsible with our tax dollars, regardless on which side of the aisle they're on.

those of us who are actually putting away what money we can so we won't need government bail-outs are getting the short end of every stick there is. very little in the way of tax breaks, no money for higher education, no help with our mortgages because we were financially savvy enough to not spend more than we had and put a little away. whereas the government (and it's mostly Democrats) want to throw money at people who have proven they cannot use it wisely. the housing crisis, IMO, had less to do with subprime mortgages (although they were DEFININTELY a factor) and more to do with people who were either uninformed enough or stupid enough to take on more debt than they could reasonably handle. and now the government is spending money THEY don't have to bail out these people and the mortgage companies that loaned them money. it reminds me of when we talked about the stock market crash. people bought stock for 5% of the total cost, thinking the other 95% would get swept under the rug somehow. and when it came time to collect what they owed, no one had any money. the difference is, the government didn't have money either, so nobody could bail them out of their poor financial decisions and they lost everything. seems we haven't learned much since then.

i'm all for "looking out for my neighbor," but there comes a point where said neighbor has to do for himself. maybe it's my particular religion, but i get pretty tired of hearing how Republicans/conservatives are bad Christians because they don't advocate giving everyone fish. there's a quote in James that goes something to the effect of "Faith without works is dead." i--as have others of my religion--taken that to mean that we need to do our part. temporally or spiritually, we have to do all in our power, and then God (or our neighbor) makes up the rest. i'll help my neighbor, but i'm not doing it for him. social programs, IMO would work better on a state level or smaller. the federal government is just too distant to make an informed decision on who really needs assistance and who is mooching off the system. put that power in the hands of more local governments who know their communities.

Chickenman

I agree that a lot of the programs need major overhauls, but they're not going to get them from people that are trying to axe them. As for them being ineffective in the first place, look whose been placing people in charge of them. With Bush assigning "Heckuva Job" Brownies to run programs he hates in the first place, of course they've become mired in incompetence. With qualified people in charge, placed by people who actually want the programs to succeed, they can work much better. As for not having enough money for Universal Healthcare, we seem to have enough money to fight an illegal, unneccesary war. :roll: What would you rather do? Leave people with no way to pay for their health?

Besides, Universal healthcare? I'd like to just stick to the U.S. :p

The government is indeed mostly Democrats, but it's a tiny margin, not enough that they can pass anything effective without the Republicans blocking them. They're actually tied in the Senate, 49 to 49, with 2 independents, one of which is Joe Lieberman :roll:. The Democrats hold a bit more power in the House, but still lack the 2/3 majority needed, and both parties are too stubborn to work with each other. Plus, they've had 2 years in control of the Legislative Branch. The Republicans had it since 1995, and there's the source of Congress sucking quite so much.

Add that to the fact that Bush has expanded the power of the Executive Branch more than any other President in history, and only hires Republicans as underlings and they've still got that slice of government locked down like a chastity belt.

So the programs aren't the easiest things to fix, no.

Princess

i still maintain that if Washington would learn that it's a bad idea to spend more money than they have coming in, we wouldn't have this problem. normal people who do that end up broke and on gubment checks real quick.

Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it see s fit. In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test with which I have no problem. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn' t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them? Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their ASS, doing drugs, while I work. . . Can you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

Drake

What the hell is all this political talk?

Get drinking and type that all again.

Chickenman

I can't think of any at the moment.

But at the moment, I've gotta say I'm happy about Hillary's speech. I'm glad she sincerely threw her support behind Obama.

TheUnknown

Both Hillary and Brian Schweitzer gave awesome speeches last night.

Chickenman

I was kind of mad that Kucinich didn't exit by turning into a raven. :|

:p

Winters

Note: Just Read.

I think I'm drunk just by going to Burger King, because all they show is CNN and CNN is full of Obama and now Biden...

Chickenman

There might be a reason why there's a lot of coverage of the Democratic candidates during the Democratic Convention.

But damned if I can figure that reason out.

:p

Drake

Fixed the title for ya's. Now you won't be off-topic all the time.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.