Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Poll #94 - Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Andy

beijing%20olympics.gif

Well, Beijing 2008 has kicked off, and the eyes of the world are fixed on China in more ways than one this year as protesters supporting the campaign to free Tibet from Chinese rule use the Olympic Games as a stage to draw attention to their cause.

Will you be watching the Games this year?

Edited by beeurd

TheUnknown

I'll watch a lot of it probably. I hope something non-violent, non-destructive, but embarrassing to China happens, though.

Radioactive Isotope

i like the Winter Olympics better, so i won't be watching or keeping track of this year's Summer games.

Princess

I'll watch bits and pieces. Mainly swimming and diving

Drake

I caught the flame lighting bit in the opening ceremonies. That's probably about as much as I'll actually watch. :p

Chickenman

Nope. I haven't seen a second of the Summer Olympics since 2000. (I caught a snippet of the winter Olympics by accident), but this time I have a reason for it. :p

Drake

Because you're a racist?

:p

Chickenman

Precisely.

Ayingel

personally, i don't see the point in boycotting the Olympics. it's something that's supposed to bring the world together for a brief moment and just kinda cancel out all the drama. they had them in berlin while there was turmoil involved with them...*shrug*

Bad furday

Sure I'll watch.

Watched opening ceremonies tonight...am completely blown away! :eek: :D

Chickenman

I can see how competition brings the nations together. :p

I'm boycotting the Olympics (specifically the Chinese Government) for the same reason that I try to avoid wearing clothing produced in sweatshops. I'm not making a huge difference, but I refuse to take part in such practices, and can hopefully inform others about it. The Chinese Government is using the games as a showcase for its country's modernization and power, while not addressing its horrendous track record when it comes to human and civil rights. I just refuse to participate

As for the Olympics being about unity, eh, in theory maybe. They've always been about showing a country's strength. In fact, in Germany, as you noted, Hitler planned to use them as a demonstration of German might, and to "harden the German spirit and instill unity." China's trying to prove it's own country's might. And the other time the Olympics were set in Germany...err...Munich happened. So people don't set aside their differences for the games. The international community is pretty much giving China a big ol' thumbs up on the Tibet issue by not raising their voices on this.

Ana

I'm moving into the dorms in a week and a half and can't be arsed to take the time to watch. But if I did have the inclination and the spare time coming out the wazoo to watch hours and hours of tv sports, I'd still be disinclined to over Tibet.

Ender

I'm not watching any of it, but I'll pay attention to the men's soccer.

Chickenman

Because of the short shorts? :p

Ender

Because it's the greatest sport in the world. And to make sure no Man City players die from breathing the air. :p

Tsl

I'll watch if I'm bored enough.

Uncle Du

I voted other, because I don't follow too closely, but I definitely know when to say, IN YOUR FACE FRANCE!! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Andy

Is anyone getting a fatal error now, or has it gone away of it's own accord? Because I didn't get one. :???: lol

TheUnknown

I'm still getting them.

Chickenman

Me too.

And how long does this "Olympics" thing you guys are talking about last? :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.