Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Follow a mainstream religion? That's okay...

Andy

...but don't dare try searching the internet for atheism, Wicca, Satanism or other minority religions!

Birmingham City Council blocks access to certain websites from it's offices.

Of course, Christian, Islamic, Hindu, and other major religions are perfectly fine!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7530519.stm

Some people are considering taking legal action apparently, as this move contravenes Employment Equality Regulations guidelines on religious background.

Mirax

lol Before long you won't be able to look up anything non-work related while at work. ; )

Chickenman

:mad: That's absolutely sick.

I'm fed up with Atheists like me being treated like second class citizens because we don't conform to the state religion. We don't see any reason to believe in a deity, and for it, we're the number one most distrusted group in America. While the hate of us isn't as ugly or easy to see as its been for blacks and gays over the years, it's damn visible and insulting to us. It seems we can't be moral human beings without adhering to any religion (especially Christianity!). I know plenty of people with good in their hearts who are Atheists. I know even more assholes who are (for example) Christian. Religion itself doesn't make you a good person. It can guide you, and it can hinder you. The majority of Atheists are good people, just as the majority of any religion are good people, and s*** like this makes me froth at the mouth.

Edited by Chickenman

Drake

My question is... why do atheists have websites? Do you really need to say that much about not believing in religion or a higher power? :p

Chickenman

Same reasons the religious have websites. Advocacy, place to meet with others that believe as you do, support groups, discussion of issues.

Drake

Yeah, I know. I was just teasing. ;)

Chickenman

Your face was teasing. :p

TheUnknown

This is something you'd expect from Birmingham, ALABAMA, not Birmingham, England. Oh, and define "sexual deviancy." If you're talking necrophilia, pedophilia, bestiality, etc., that's one thing. If they're blocking pro-gay websites, that's something else.

Andy

I wondered that, Unknown. They'd be falling foul of all kinds of laws if they were blocking GBLT websites.

Radioactive Isotope

i think they've got a good case if they want to sue.

I'm fed up with Atheists like me being treated like second class citizens because we don't conform to the state religion.

i can imagine. i don't have a problem with most Atheists, however i get annoyed by the vocal minority trying to take religious meanings out of everything. and it's not just the Atheists. i blame the ACLU at least here in the States for being jerks. personally, i don't care if the 10 Commandments are posted alongside Hamurabi's law, Islamic code of conduct, or whatever. or having a menorah next to a Christmas tree during the holidays. but no. the political correctness has gotten out of hand even though more people are offended by "Happy Holidays" than "Merry Christmas." a little agreeing to disagree sometimes would certainly go a long way, no? [/end rambling rant]

Chickenman

And I get annoyed by a very vocal majority using it's influence to hurt minorities like Atheists, homosexuals, and fellow theists that just happen to believe differently.

I agree about the agree to disagree thing, but you rarely find anyone willing to do so. There's too many people on both sides that won't accept anything besides their own views. It's been said that America has forgotten how to debate and not argue, and I agree.

In my opinion, the "Merry Christmas" controversy isn't nearly as widespread as conservative radio pretends it is. I've always seen it as Bill O'Reilly and his ilk trying to stir up more hatred for secularism. I've no problem with anyone saying Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, whatever. There is a small group of Atheists that are offended at the very mention of anything religious, as with "Merry Christmas," and they're all douchebags. Likewise, there's an equally small group that hate the phrase "Happy Holidays." And they're all douchebags too.

And I'm also tired of the ACLU being demonized. The ACLU is a wonderful organization that's done nothing but fight to safeguard the rights of American citizens for almost 90 years. They were involved with Brown v. Board of Education, as well as helping to put an end to state bans on interacial marriage, they've fought for the first amendment countless times, even for people who hate them (Larry Craig, Rush Limbaugh and other despicables) because it's the right thing to do and they believe so strongly in justice for every American citizen.

Radioactive Isotope

and this is the part where we agree to disagree. ;)

Chickenman

I suppose it is. :p

Bad furday

as well as helping to put an end to state bans on interacial marriage

I'm glad for that part! Because, well...*looks in mirror* :p I'd really be screwed ( but not literally, unfortunately;) ) because I...don't know any

Indian women. Seriously, I don't :p

Drake

You should have gone to the Indian music concert I had to work a couple weeks ago. There were lots of nice Indian ladies there. ;)

Bad furday

Wow D, maybe I should have! :p ;)

Andy

I saw lots of Indian ladies when I was in India. :p

Can't say I noticed whether they were nice or not, lol.

Edited by beeurd

Jake Durron

My Dad and Grandparents are Wiccan, My Mom is Jewish I'm a happy Agnostic turning into Atheist and Bisexual and My brothers are Minorities... I hate discrimination, but I still want a gun and a Hummer and more deportation of illegals... does this make me a bad person? I don't think so... But nearly everyone I know has something bad to say about my family.

Chickenman

It doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you someone who picks and chooses their positions on issues rather than lumping everything into one set of values or the other.

*Shrug*

Ender

The ACLU certainly is not wonderful... when it goes after the Marines for praying before being deployed, it obviously has a couple of ewoking screws loose.

I too am an atheist, and can quote Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins from memory, but I have no problem with people practicing Christianity and its ilk. Now, when they do this kind of thing and try to force it, then I get all kinds of angry.

Chickenman

I've not heard of that particular case.

And I agree about having no problem with practicing, as long as it's not being forced on others.

And Richard Dawkins = Every kind of awesome rolled into one.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.