Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Daily Show Related Books

Chickenman

Anyone read American (The Book), I Am American (And So Can You!), or An Almanac of Complete World Knowledge Compiled with Instructive Annotation and Arranged in Useful Order by myself, John Hodgman, a Professional Writer, in the Areas of My Expertise, which Include: Matters Historical, Matters Literary, Matters Cryptozoological, Hobo Matters, Food, Drink & Cheese (a Kind of Food), Squirrels & Lobsters & Eels, Haircuts, Utopia, What Will Happen in the Future, and Most Other Subjects?

Three funniest books in the world.

Radioactive Isotope

i own both America: the Book and I Am America (And So Can You). but haven't read the third one yet. America: the Book has a question about Palpatine at the end of one of the chapters (4 i think).

Chickenman

Yes! I forgot about that. It details Palpy's actions during AotC and how he uses it to pretty much make himself Emperor. Then asks "Could it happen here?"

And the third one isn't a Daily Show book per se, but the John Hodgeman, the writer, made an appearance and they liked him so much they invited him a job continuing the same persona as he inhabits in the book. It's great. Every time he appears it's like listening to another chapter. It's pretty much the funniest book I've ever read for the sheer ludicrous of it. If anyone wants to find it, you should probably look under the shorter title. "The Areas of my Expertise." And pick up the paperback version. It lists 100 more hobo names. :p

Andy

Then asks "Could it happen here?"

Well it could happen here. Soon we shall all be hailing Emperor Gordon Brown! :roll:

Princess

I've got America the book. love it. It's being passed around work right now

Chickenman

Well it could happen here. Soon we shall all be hailing Emperor Gordon Brown! :roll:

Don't know who that is.

Americanize your references or don't make references at all!

:p

Chickenman

John Hodgeman has written a sequel to his fake almanac, entitled "More Information Than You Require." It's just as insanely funny.

Winters

Don't know who that is.

Americanize your references or don't make references at all!

:p

Ok... Gordon Brown is the current PM (Prime Minister, not Private Message), which is akin somewhat to a combination of Speaker of the House and President... except with far less power than the President and more power than the Speaker of the House, but like the Speak of the House, isn't elected by the people but elected (Apointed more like it) by a vote in the Parliment. Does that sound right Andy? My English politics isn't the best.

Chickenman

Thank you, I had no idea what a Prime Minister is.

I also couldn't have told from the context that he was talking about the new Prime Minister. At all. I mean...with him comparing someone to Palpatine, a character infamous for...I don't think it was rising to absolute power...I think he sold bagels of inferior quality or something.

I also in no way was satirizing Americans' general lack of interest in international news and politics, which, in this case had even bitten me in the ass, because I couldn't exactly place the name though had a good idea. Telling him to Americanize it wasn't my playing the part of an idiotic American, it was a real plea for him to describe, in detail, the nuts and bolts of his nation's government. All I know is that the Queen has absolute power and can move anywhere on the board.

The smiley was also not supposed to tip anyone off to my cunning and deceitful play at humor. His giant blue tongue looked a lot like a frowny face at the time, indicating my confusion and sincere need for someone to explain what I already knew, 6 months after the fact.

Winters

Relax, I think you just need to know certain heads of state and you're ok, you don't need to know the fine points of British politics... and what I said is all I know about British politics... I know even less about Canadian...

Drake

The Canadian Parliamentary system is basically the same as the Brits.

Stephen Harper is our Private Message...damn, I mean Post Meridiem...crap, I mean Paper Mario...no! Popular Mechanics...

sith...

Winters

Doesn't the Canadian Parliment have like... Beavers or something...? I mean... I know there's Beavers in your public system... somewhere.... I just know that Beavers have jobs in the Canadian government.

Drake

We are all beavers wearing people suits.

Winters

IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.